Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 PM

155 posts, read 287,823 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking for a comparison between these 3 cities (Chattanooga, Greenville, SC and Knoxville), specifically in terms of:

1) a thriving community of educated entrepreneurs

2) A tight knit community for personal life, where it's easy to make friends, there's a lot of local activities where you can meet people, neighbors get along, people are kind and say hello.

I've asked about this cities in terms of outdoor recreation, downtowns, affordability, and they meet all of those criteria.

So now I'm interested in the entrepreneurial and community scene.

I've looked at Roanoke, VA as well. Feel free to suggest other towns/cities that might have what I'm looking for (I do like to be close to mountains and lean a bit towards warmer 4 seasons, sunny environment).

I'm currently in Denver (looking for something more affordable with less people), single, in my 40s and an entrepreneur (the solopreneur life can get lonely especially with no family nearby). I'm not in a position to buy, so I'll be renting again.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
Hi! I'm looking for a comparison between these 3 cities (Chattanooga, Greenville, SC and Knoxville), specifically in terms of:

1) a thriving community of educated entrepreneurs

2) A tight knit community for personal life, where it's easy to make friends, there's a lot of local activities where you can meet people, neighbors get along, people are kind and say hello.

I've asked about this cities in terms of outdoor recreation, downtowns, affordability, and they meet all of those criteria.

So now I'm interested in the entrepreneurial and community scene.

I've looked at Roanoke, VA as well. Feel free to suggest other towns/cities that might have what I'm looking for (I do like to be close to mountains and lean a bit towards warmer 4 seasons, sunny environment).

I'm currently in Denver (looking for something more affordable with less people), single, in my 40s and an entrepreneur (the solopreneur life can get lonely especially with no family nearby). I'm not in a position to buy, so I'll be renting again.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.
Chattanooga is surprisingly nice. I prefer it to the others.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Chattanooga is surprisingly nice. I prefer it to the others.
Thank you! What do you like about Chattanooga vs Greenville and Knoxville?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:44 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Chattanooga has more energy, a young population, and encourages its citizens to be active in their community. Chattanooga has the best downtown and is the most eclectic.

Greenville is the most business-friendly, has a fast-growing economy, and is the most friendly. Greenville also benefits from being in between two large metro areas.

Knoxville has UT and the nearby Smokies, but lacks the downtown of the others. Knoxville is the largest city and metro, while Greenville retains the largest CSA.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Techie side of things, better food, better shopping downtown, more cross density and tourists activity downtown vs Greeneville. More concentric city, closer to Nashville and Atlanta.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:24 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I expect you will settle in Chattanooga but invite you to visit Knoxville as well. Both cities have an entrepreneur center and maker spaces. The strongest sense of community for your age group in Knoxville is mountain bikers, something to consider if you are a mountain biker but Chattanooga has been very actively recruiting transplants especially in tech fields.

Quote:
Knoxville has UT and the nearby Smokies, but lacks the downtown of the others.
Knoxville's downtown has a small footprint but it is as big as Greenville's. Since it was the largest city in the early 20th century it has a lot more historic building stock and storefronts but I don't know if that matters to the OP. There are 50 - 60 restaurants in downtown Knoxville, I'm sure that is more than Greenville, not sure about Chattanooga.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Chattanooga has more energy, a young population, and encourages its citizens to be active in their community. Chattanooga has the best downtown and is the most eclectic.

Greenville is the most business-friendly, has a fast-growing economy, and is the most friendly. Greenville also benefits from being in between two large metro areas.

Knoxville has UT and the nearby Smokies, but lacks the downtown of the others. Knoxville is the largest city and metro, while Greenville retains the largest CSA.
Thank you! Nice synopsis of the 3!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Greenville is utterly fantastic. Greenville, SC & Fayetteville, Ak

are the most unrecognized, unsung, underrated small cities.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Greenville is utterly fantastic. Greenville, SC & Fayetteville, Ak

are the most unrecognized, unsung, underrated small cities.
I must say Fayetteville, Ak has never been on my radar, but have read lots of good things about it on this forum.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Techie side of things, better food, better shopping downtown, more cross density and tourists activity downtown vs Greeneville. More concentric city, closer to Nashville and Atlanta.
What's particularly "techie" about Chattanooga compared to the other two?

Greenville has a case for being the best food city among these three.

Chattanooga is definitely the most touristy of the three though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City