Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Phoenix
Phoenix 17 26.98%
Chicago 46 73.02%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 28,682 times

Advertisements

Hey,

July next year I will be moving to the United States for 6 months to study at Arizona State University in Phoenix or University of Illinois- Chicago and I have never been so indecisive about anything in my life and it is incredibly hard to make a decision as I haven't been to both of these cities.

Both sides seem to offer pros and cons from the research I have done.

Chicago Pros -

Great public transport system with two train lines that run 24/7
There appears to be an abundance of centrally located restaurants
The whole large city living in a sky rise experience.
Multicultural
Close to NY

Phoenix Pros -
The heat and the sun (I love the heat)
Multicultural
The city looks really clean on Google maps. Hahahaha
Very cheap
Close to Las Vegas and L.A
I hear Phoenix has large malls as well?

Important aspects that will help me decide would be:
Abundance of centrally located bars (not nightclubs)
- I imagine Chicago would win here, but Uber is really cheap now yeah, so I could just catch Uber or Taxi's in Phoenix after drinking?

I would love the option for 24 hour food, I don't mind if I am required to drive.
Italian food is my favourite food but stereotypical Mexican drinks are my favourite drinks.

Outdoor dining, I really really like outdoor dining or restaurant strips.
I live in Melbourne, Australia and here we have a street called Lygon St which is pretty much just Italian restaurants, with a fair few of them open all night. They have outside seating where there are heat lamps if it is cold and in summer it is perfect.

I'm also gay so I'm a bit curious of Phoenix and Chicago's mentality towards that, it isn't that important on where I choose to live because no one can ever tell, nor would I say anything in an area where I don't think it is appropriate. I respect peoples opinions and beliefs but I just don't want to go to a place where I will be preached at.

From what I will understand Phoenix will be suburb life and Chicago will be city, I like the idea of both. If you know good areas for someone who likes all these aspects to live, recommendations would be amazing.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
It seems that, based on most of your criteria, Chicago would be better for you. The biggest downside to Phoenix, in my opinion, is thst downtown can be a ghost town many days of the week and at many hours. I was just there five months ago and it took us quite a while walking around downtown just to find an open restaurant. Chicago is just more bustling all around and a better big city experience.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
If you go to ASU you'll live in or near Tempe which has a downtown full of bars and whatnot, all walkable/bikeable. Part of central Phoenix is the "gayborhood" , 15 minute drive away without traffic.
Chicago wins on things open all night, big city stuff, Italian food.

Phoenix wins on nature/outdoors, hot weather/mild winter, Mexican food.

Chicago-big buildings
Phoenix-mountains and canyons

Chicago is always in the news for all the shootings and murder there,
Phoenix is always in the news for having the stupidest politicians in America.

Side note: tens of thousands of people have relocated from Illinois to Arizona in the last 20 years but that migration has been one way.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
If you go to ASU you'll live in or near Tempe which has a downtown full of bars and whatnot, all walkable/bikeable. Part of central Phoenix is the "gayborhood" , 15 minute drive away without traffic.
Chicago wins on things open all night, big city stuff, Italian food.

Phoenix wins on nature/outdoors, hot weather/mild winter, Mexican food.

Chicago-big buildings
Phoenix-mountains and canyons

Chicago is always in the news for all the shootings and murder there,
Phoenix is always in the news for having the stupidest politicians in America.

Side note: tens of thousands of people have relocated from Illinois to Arizona in the last 20 years but that migration has been one way.
The one way migration is because older people go to Ariizona to die, and cannot physically come back unless they come back in a box or urn. The cause of death: boredom.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The one way migration is because older people go to Ariizona to die, and cannot physically come back unless they come back in a box or urn. The cause of death: boredom.
Phoenix isn't a bad place to go to college at all. The nightlife along Mill Avenue in Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale is quite good. There are a lot of "day trip" opportunities to Flagstaff, Sedona, Payson, Prescott, the Salt River (tubing), etc. There is also a growing gay community in central Phoenix. However, Phoenix certainly isn't as cultured as Chicago.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM

300 posts, read 441,402 times
Having been around both campuses I'd pick ASU. I spend the past 2 summers in Illinois and hung around some fun places in Chicago like Wrigleyville a decent amount. However, I think for the short period of time the sun/heat plus Mill Street makes it a better place. Like the other user said, going to ASU you'd be in Tempe, which is where people from Phoenix go downtown. There is a lot to do, plus it will be warmer. Tempe is also probably the most liberal city in Arizona.

Also this shows that 4% of ALIVE Arizonans are from Illinois, while the other way around is less than a percentage. Link

Last edited by ghdana; 08-16-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Phoenix is conservative and old; keep that in mind when considering their mentality towards LGBT people. Otherwise, I'm going with Phoenix.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,966 times
When you're talking about Phoenix as a college student, what you should really focus on is downtown Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale. Excellent nightlife in both cities, and Scottsdale has 2 really nice malls (Fashion Square and Scottsdale Quarter/Kierland). You're probably gonna be living in Tempe, so check out Mill Avenue if you get a chance. And if you want anything Mexican, Phoenix beats out Chicago. Other than that, I don't anything about Chicago so I won't comment on that. ASU is the largest university by population and with so many students from diverse backgrounds I would bet that the culture is very accepting of all differences. Plus there's so many things to do within a days drive: beach in San Diego, snow sports/Grand Canyon in Flagstaff, Sedona, mountains surrounding the city...Anyway, my choice would be ASU/Phoenix.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
I'd personally pick Phoenix. You couldn't pay me to live in Chicago! So segregated, so much racism, so much crime, so much Government oppression (high taxes, anti-2nd Amendment gun laws etc...), flat landscape, brutally cold winters, high cost of living.....the list goes on and on.

Phoenix on the other hand has a strong economy, more freedom, low cost of living, and beautiful Arizona mountainous scenery. Only downside is that the summers are brutal!

Move to Phoenix if you want to get ahead, move to Chicago if you want to become trapped in a cesspool.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:42 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Wow, the stupid and wildly inaccurate partisan posts are really starting to pile up in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City