Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,187,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oh god, are there really still people who just stay in Midtown? I think with the internet now, people would figure out to check out Lower Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn as well.

I went to a bar in Midtown Manhattan once (forgive me) and there were these 3 British dudes who I talked to, they said NYC's nightlife is way better than London's and I'm pretty sure they haven't even gone downtown yet! I told them to go to the East Village or Lower East Side, I hope they went.
Yeah, it's a pretty common thing. It kind of makes sense because that's where so many of the main basic tourist sites are. But it's in no way a representative of the entire city. For most NYers it's a place to work

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:35 PM

153 posts, read 162,112 times
I believe this thread should have had a POLL of Eastern cities to vote for. I think probably Philly would have won for underrated Eastern city? I don't think a city is overrated. Each deserves its due. I've read threads some say Boston is overrated and some even day DC. I don't agree.

But I will say Philly had far more blight present that hurt it outside of Center City, with Philly never quite kicked the stigma of being dirty. Having NO Street-Cleanings outside of Center City. Does not help it and Row homes lost in a block. Leave it looking very haphazard in appearance till filled in. Especially if blight remains with debris never cleaned out by the city. Even as gentrification has arrived there.

Manhattan's Midtown and ALL Manhattan also, could use a cleaning and something better found to HIDE bags of garbage on sidewalks in a premier city. Chicago not eastern, is so much cleaner striving to be too. NYC is just soooo WEALTHY not to clean itself up better for tourist areas at least and get rid of steel gated storefronts when closed in Midtown especially.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 11-21-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,296,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The expense of Boston, for what you get in return, can make Boston seem "overrated"..
Just walk after your visit from the Museum of Fine Arts through the Fens- (with tiny detour to Rose garden in season - or freesbee with the dog or play hoops with a bunch of strangers until late into the evening on an artificial grass playing field) onto Jersey St. Enjoy cute landscaping and gorgeous trees along the way.
Take a left and stop by for a snack/drink/ people watching on Peterborough St and later to a Fenway for baseball game or dinner at not your southern but pretty tasty BBQ at “ Sweet cheeks” or some Japanese inspired fair nearby. Cool places to grab a drink or 2 and experience a camaraderie of strangers, especially when” Yankee /Jets Suck!”. Some shopping if you are into it?
Then if you do not have or want to pony up cash for a pricey living nearby: jump on a T, a train or drive your car to your less expensive home.
Can do something totally different another day in just a few short blocks away- 7 days a week- every day!
That is Boston for you!
Totally overrated!?? Great, more room and enjoyment for the rest of us!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,875,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Just walk after your visit from the Museum of Fine Arts through the Fens- (with tiny detour to Rose garden in season - or freesbee with the dog or play hoops with a bunch of strangers until late into the evening on an artificial grass playing field) onto Jersey St. Enjoy cute landscaping and gorgeous trees along the way.
Take a left and stop by for a snack/drink/ people watching on Peterborough St and later to a Fenway for baseball game or dinner at not your southern but pretty tasty BBQ at “ Sweet cheeks” or some Japanese inspired fair nearby. Cool places to grab a drink or 2 and experience a camaraderie of strangers, especially when” Yankee /Jets Suck!”. Some shopping if you are into it?
Then if you do not have or want to pony up cash for a pricey living nearby: jump on a T, a train or drive your car to your less expensive home.
Can do something totally different another day in just a few short blocks away- 7 days a week- every day!
That is Boston for you!
Totally overrated!?? Great, more room and enjoyment for the rest of us!
Chicago offers more for less. DC offers more, at the same price, with a better location. Philly is very close n offerings, a MUCH lower cost. No one is saying Boston sucks, but it is overrated and overpriced.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 839,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago offers more for less. DC offers more, at the same price, with a better location. Philly is very close n offerings, a MUCH lower cost. No one is saying Boston sucks, but it is overrated and overpriced.
I’ll agree it’s overpriced...but who is overrating it besides the sports fanatics? I think it rates pretty much with dc/Philly depending on what you’re into..if you like urban living on a lake you’ll take Chicago..if you prefer urban living with weekend trips to jersey shore -philly, if you prefer urban living and skiing in Vermont and the cape Boston, etc etc

Old 02-11-2019, 03:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,224,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
I don't think a city is overrated. Each deserves its due. I've read threads some say Boston is overrated and some even day DC. I don't agree.
This. The Northeast cities are some of the best cities in the world and they all are amazing in their own ways. I don't think any are overrated.

Boston gets a bad reputation for being snobby/elitist, small, expensive, uppity, and boring while simultaneously it is known for the Southie type people. But we know this. Everyone knows this. Everyone knows what Boston is like. Boston doesn't pretend to be anything it is not. It is equally Southie (though not so much in that area anymore) and Back Bay personalities. It doesn't claim to have world-class nightlife. It doesn't claim to be a friendly howdy y'all city.

People hate on NYC because they get their own expectations up too much. People who know NYC know it for what it is. It's dirty yet expensive, hipster yet financebro, urban yet the subway is always delayed, pretentious in some areas yet everywhere you go you'll meet down to earth Tony who knows somebody. We know the nightlife is overrated and that's why we groan when friends visit us and want to go to whatever new place is talked about because we know it's going to be crowded, expensive, and ultimately overrated. But let us take you to the better rooftops with views you'll remember till the day you die and to dives and hole in the walls and you could have the time of your life without ever going somewhere a magazine tells you to.

Everyone thinks Philly is still Philly from 20 years ago. It's not. CC is beautiful. There are numerous safe and fun neighborhoods. It's not just Penn State bros blacking out for every Phillies/Flyers/6ers/Eagles game (even though this is a thing). You'll find upscale neighborhoods and some with families, hipsters, gays, whatever. It's diverse and affordable. Yet you should definitely still watch yourself like in any other city, and large portions of the city still are what you think of when ignorant people think of Philly. But it's not that anymore. Like others have said, though, I think Philly is really the most underrated, as the only negatives it's ever gotten were how rundown and dirty and dangerous it is. Nobody really has the hate for it like they do for Boston or NYC or DC for being too expensive and pretentious and not what the media made it out to be as some non-stop party or whatever. Every friend I've taken to Philly has loved it.

Baltimore idk as much about, but it's like Philly. The only negatives you ever hear are that it's dangerous. But that's not true for the entire city, just quite a few neighborhoods. But I had a great time visiting Inner Harbor and Fells Point. The only part I'd say was underwhelming was the subpar nightlife. Maybe I was there on an off weekend, but it wasn't that great. That said, nobody has ever hyped up Bmore's nightlife so I can't say it was overrated.

DC gets played up as this white collar government corporate business elitist zone with no culture. But there's way more to it when you get into the real neighborhoods. And those neighborhoods can get talked up a lot so one could argue they're overrated. But I don't think they are. I've never had a bad meal in DC. I've never just had an okay time there. The museums are top quality, the people are generally friendly unless you're trying to discuss the weather to a man in a suit on a 100 degree day while he's running into some government office. I never met rude people, I've made friends in bars, and I've managed numerous conversations that didn't devolve into politics or government.

Seriously these 5 are the simultaneously the most neutral cities IMO. They get either nonstop positive or negative treatment in the media. Some of it is true. Some of it is not. But I honestly think they're the some of the best quality cities North American offers and none are overrated unless you believe everything in the media. The battle for underrated can still be had potentially, but IMO none are overrated unless you're a gullible person who relies on the media and other people to form your opinions about an entire city without ever having visited yourself.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 AM

36 posts, read 19,363 times
For the most part I fully agreed with your analysis. All these major northeast cities are great in their own respective ways. I do however believe that outnside of the northeast that there is an ongoing perception of what these cities are that does give them an “overrated/underrated” feel, depending on the city of course. I live in the MD area (in the DMV area now) and I found DC to be a great city but definitely a bit overrated in some regard. It has great museums and monuments and their are things to do throughout the day but eventually it’s a city where you’d get lil bored if you were visiting. Not because DC is boring (it’s definitely not) but you’d be underwhelmed if you’d had come here and based your visit on the perceptions and descriptions of what others from faraway lands who write in forums like these tell you. It is definitely a government town with a career/status driven aura around it. I like the town and wouldn’t mind living here for a while long term but it’s persknak not my cup of tea. People would say otherwise but at the end of the day most posters on forums like City Data and etc haven’t even been to cities that they rate.

Two cities that I do think are a bit underrated based outsider perception vs what the actually offer would be Baltimore and Philadelphia. I guess I would like these cities. They definitely are my cup of tea lol. They really do feel like true urban experiences - urbanity, density, good downtowns, very historic, and plenty of things to do compared to what you’d believe from what you hear. If I went on what people who have only been here once or twice or people who have never been here had told me, I’d think that these to cities are dumpy. I should just pass them by and go to their respective cities that overshadow them (DC and NYC respectively). These two cities have their problems. Widespread crime and poverty have plagued them for decades. But they do offer many things in their own right and are much cheaper than most other major cities in the country. I think Philly is a bit more adored by people on this forum that Baltimore due to the fact that they’re turning it around a bit faster at the moment. These two cities clearly offer a lot more than what we’re being told, even with their admitted problems.

As for the actual post itself (if I had to classify these cities as such):
Overrated: Boston, DC, Atlanta, Raleigh

Underrated: Philadelphia, Baltimore, Brooklyn, Queens, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Hampton Roads (VA)

Just right: NYC (Manhattan), Miami (borderline overrated), Atlantic City

These cities are fine and I’ve had fun and almost all of them. I’m sure that there are plenty of things to do. My rating is based from the perception that they get in the media vs what they offer in real life. I was surprising disappointed in Atlanta. I wanted to enjoy my time there but it’s just not everything I like in a city especially in terms of city layout and what it offers for nightlife. I’ll try again though because it’s been a while so maybe things have changed.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,402,791 times
So far, the only Eastern city I've visited I felt was overrated was Raleigh, and the rest of the Triangle area (Durham, Chapel Hill). My good friends live there and I visited for New Years. I had only ever heard great things. But to be honest, the topography, built environment, activities, etc. all left something to be desired.

I'm also not a big fan of DC. I visit often and have fun seeing my family and the monuments. Otherwise, it is too polished and white collar for my tastes. But I think as noted by jessemh, it has that reputation and is often negatively connotated.

Most other cities I've visited in the East have enough of a mixed reputation that they are either just right or underrted. Some cities that are underrated in my experience: Baltimore, Philly, NYC -- yeah it has both really good and really bad reputations based on personal taste. But too many people say "it's too crowded" because they take a day trip to Times Square and The Met, and really don't explore outside the ridiculous parts of Manhattan. Places like Portland, ME, Pittsburgh, and Providence, RI are also underrated. Many people on C-D get that these are great places to live or visit, but the general public, no.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,875,176 times
I don’t think DC is overrated, however I think it has amazing PR. No city with DC’s level of violent crime is so highly regarded.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 AM

13,924 posts, read 13,672,281 times
Underrated: Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Buffalo, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Albany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City