Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times

Advertisements

I'll add a few more:

Overrated: DC, Charleston, Providence, Annapolis, Raleigh, Atlantic City

Underrated: Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, the entire State of New Hampshire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Overrated: Miami and Orlando
Underrated: Providence and Baltimore

Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Something can be "the best" and still be over-rated.
You think so? Anything below the best must be really overrated then, if even the best places are overrated.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You think so? Anything below the best must be really overrated then, if even the best places are overrated.
I do think so. If anything, the best places are the most prone to being overrated since people are especially prone to overstate their pros and brush their cons under the rug. For a very good (but somewhat less esteemed place) people are more likely to examine its advantages and drawbacks in a more objective light.

It can probably be quantified to some kind of mathematical formula .

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 PM

233 posts, read 368,654 times
^^^I agree, Boston and NYC are among the greatest cities in the world, and I have been many cities in many countries. Saying that either is over rated is a meaningless generalization. If you mean there are better cities in the US, I would love to know which ones. Only Chicago and SF are in the same league IMHO, and I have been to all of the large US cities numerous times. If you mean there are cities you like better, everyone has their own criteria for what they like best in a city, but that has nothing to do with the undefined terms "over rated" or "under rated"

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think that quality is independent of reputation.

It doesn't matter wether a place is the best or the worst; it only matters how much the place is mentioned.

If that makes sense. I haven't had much sleep over the last few days so I might be a little incoherent.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
^^^I agree, Boston and NYC are among the greatest cities in the world, and I have been many cities in many countries. Saying that either is over rated is a meaningless generalization. If you mean there are better cities in the US, I would love to know which ones. Only Chicago and SF are in the same league IMHO, and I have been to all of the large US cities numerous times. If you mean there are cities you like better, everyone has their own criteria for what they like best in a city, but that has nothing to do with the undefined terms "over rated" or "under rated"
That's not what over-rated means. Read my above post.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Florida official language is English.Its in the Florida constitution.Many states recognize English as the official language.
Having an official language legally means that services, forms and communication in any other language are illegal. Since I know that forms and communication for "official" use are offered in other languages than English, I think it's safe to assume that Florida does not enforce its English as the official language law. Then again, I'd like to see Florida try to usurp the power of the Federal government to enforce their state law over Federal agencies, etc. In the end, these sorts of laws are food for ravenous "patriots" & "real 'mericans" but are pretty useless in practicality.
As a note, I don't speak anything but English and have absolutely no problem using English everywhere. I also have no issue with others using a different language that works better for them.

That all said, I agree that Miami is underrated. Over the last several years it's become apparent to me that Miami-bashing is some sort of sport here on C-D. In fact, Miami-bashing is popular among many Miamians as well. That said, most Miamians stay and the flood of money and people from the places that bash us keep coming. In the end, there is no other city in the continental US that offers what Miami provides: namely year round warm weather, bigger city amenities & resources, an International culture, immediate access to two national parks, and a beach scene that offers everyone something that suits them .

Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
And that's exactly what I mean. Everyone says "There's no way they're overrated! They are top cities in the world!" And I go in for a visit, and they are great cities. But just not as great as people make it seem. The way people hype those two cities you would think they were the closest thing to heaven.

And I can tell you've never been to Miami.
Well, if you don't think NYC or Boston are as great as they are made up to be, I doubt you would find any city to live up to its hype.

FWIW, I have been to Miami countless times. It's a dump.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM

676 posts, read 960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Florida official language is English.Its in the Florida constitution.Many states recognize English as the official language.
You said in a country where English is the official language - at the federal level, there is none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City