Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Well, if you don't think NYC or Boston are as great as they are made up to be, I doubt you would find any city to live up to its hype.

FWIW, I have been to Miami countless times. It's a dump.
You're right. Some cities don't live up to the positive hype; some cities are much better than the negative hype. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and Florida are all trashed on city vs city constantly. After visiting those cities, I was pleasantly surprised. And you're a perfect example of it. I'd heard from other people that Miami was a humid dump and you had to know Spanish to get anything accomplished. When I took a trip there, I found that most of the "reviews" I had read were completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 02:22 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Boston and NYC are among the greatest cities in the world, and I have been many cities in many countries. Saying that either is over rated is a meaningless generalization. If you mean there are better cities in the US, I would love to know which ones.
Well, I think Washington DC is overall better than Boston. Both are good cities though, but not among the greatest cities in the world.

Nothing in the U.S. compares to New York City.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I'll add a few more:

Overrated: DC, Charleston, Providence, Annapolis, Raleigh, Atlantic City

Underrated: Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, the entire State of New Hampshire
Who "over rates" Atlantic City? I don't think I've ever heard anybody say anything good about it. It's one of the worst places in America.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:30 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Who "over rates" Atlantic City? I don't think I've ever heard anybody say anything good about it. It's one of the worst places in America.
Oh hyperbole.

I wouldn't disagree that some people in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic overrate it, but it does serve a purpose and it's certainly not one of the "worst places in America" by most objective standards, particularly since there are a number of very nice nearby Shore towns.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM

198 posts, read 259,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Making this in the style of the other thread about out West. Here goes:

Overrated: New York City. I liked it when I went...it just isn't as amazing in my opinion as everyone made it out to be. The people were rude, it was dirty, and there wasn't enough greenery there in my opinion. I do want to get back there and see more things though.

Underrated: Miami. Seems a lot of people knock it because either they are racist and hate Latinos or because of the weather. Sure it has problems, but I find it to be a really beautiful place, has more culture than many realize, some of the country's best beaches, and the Everglades right there. Cannot wait to get back.
I disagree. Miami is the most overrated in the country.
I dunno about underrated cities, because my insight would probably be really biased.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
This isn't the first time I've seen you, someone from Georgia, trash AC.

What gives?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Overrated: Boston

Underrated: Providence, Wilmington

Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This isn't the first time I've seen you, someone from Georgia, trash AC.

What gives?
I just think it's a dump. One of the most sad and depressing places I've ever been.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-04-2014 at 03:39 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Who over rates it? People from Jersey who like to make it out to be an east coast Las Vegas

Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Who over rates it? People from Jersey who like to make it out to be an east coast Las Vegas
I've never heard anyone from New Jersey make that comparison--at least not South Jersey (maybe it's different up North).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City