Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond vs Greenville
Richmond 57 75.00%
Greenville 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

These seems like a good comparison. Both cities in the southeast with a pretty good reputation as of late. I'm wondering which is the best overall.

Some criteria to consider

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Climate
5. Bars/Resturaunts
6. Potential for future growth
7. Location
8. Architecture
9. Suburbs
10. Parks/Outdoor recreation.
11. Scenery
12. Transportation (Car, Public)
13. Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 01:10 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
1. Downtown: Greenville
2. Walkability: Richmond
3. Economy: Greenville
4. Climate: Greenville
5. Bars/Resturaunts: Greenville
6. Potential for future growth: Greenville
7. Location: Richmond
8. Architecture: Richmond
9. Suburbs: Greenville
10. Parks/Outdoor recreation: Greenville
11. Scenery: Greenville
12. Transportation (Car, Public): Richmond
13. Where would you rather live?: Greenville

I would choose Greenville because it is a safe, clean city, and located in a larger region. I like it's location although Richmond is in a better location. Greenville has a bright future.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:54 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Their downtowns have a much different vibe and look. Richmond is more gritty and urban with more tall corporate buildings, Greenville is more quaint. Richmond has a large river that was navigable with a canal. Greenville's river is pretty narrow.

I-95 and a downtown expressway cross right over the downtown area in Richmond. I-85 bypasses downtown Greenville.

Greenville has the waterfall park integrated within the CBD. Richmond has nice parks but not really within the CBD.

Richmond feels a lot more Old South, with colonial, Revolution, and more Civil War related history. There is a good bit of colonial type of architecture in Richmond that you don't see in Greenville.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Their downtowns have a much different vibe and look. Richmond is more gritty and urban with more tall corporate buildings, Greenville is more quaint. Richmond has a large river that was navigable with a canal. Greenville's river is pretty narrow.

I-95 and a downtown expressway cross right over the downtown area in Richmond. I-85 bypasses downtown Greenville.

Greenville has the waterfall park integrated within the CBD. Richmond has nice parks but not really within the CBD.

Richmond feels a lot more Old South, with colonial, Revolution, and more Civil War related history. There is a good bit of colonial type of architecture in Richmond that you don't see in Greenville.
Richmond has Class IV and V rapids through the CBD.

Photos by Aquest1 (me)

The James River Park System is 550 acres, protected from development through the city to just East of the James River Bridge
(I-95). And check out www.richmondoutside.com . Richmond has a lot on offer and is perpetually underrated because of several years in the late 1800s.

Last edited by aquest1; 07-15-2018 at 05:53 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post

Photos by Aquest1 (me)

The James River Park System is 550 acres, protected from development through the city to just East of the James River Bridge
(I-95). And check out www.richmondoutside.com . Richmond has a lot on offer and is perpetually underrated because of several years in the late 1800s.
Nope. The James River does not run THROUGH the CBD.

That said, Richmond is a whole tier above Greenville, and among the elites its tier. The lived experience of Richmond compares favorably to many US cities with much higher profiles. Unfortunately, CD posters don’t actually visit the cities they like to discuss and are obsessed with metrics.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post

Photos by Aquest1 (me)

my comment wasn't about rapids. it was about a park within the CBD.

I said Richmond has nice parks. I don't think Richmond is underrated. It is well known.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-15-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That said, Richmond is a whole tier above Greenville, and among the elites its tier. The lived experience of Richmond compares favorably to many US cities with much higher profiles. Unfortunately, CD posters don’t actually visit the cities they like to discuss and are obsessed with metrics.
It sounds like you are expressing a preference for larger cities rather than comparing Gville and Richmond.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:45 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
That’s like saying the Westside Highway doesn’t run through Manhattan.
Does the James run through the middle of the CBD? No. But it does form the southern boundary of the CBD.

Greenville is very pretty and has done an amazing job capitalizing on its falls. I’ve tried to convince a sister to move there so that I’d have a reason to visit more often.

Richmond is just much more dynamic and culturally rich. There are lifestyle centers in Richnond’s surroundings where you can get a Greenville-like experience. Nothing in Greenville compares to Richmond’s downtown, neighborhoods or the James River.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Richmond is just much more dynamic and culturally rich.
I'm not sure what this means. My brother lived in Richmond for awhile and I like Greenville better.

I agree Richmond and Greenville's downtowns are not similar. I made that exact point.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
1. Downtown - Richmond
2. Walkability - Richmond
3. Economy - Richmond
4. Climate - either/or
5. Bars/Resturaunts - not sure
6. Potential for future growth - Greenville slightly
7. Location - tie
8. Architecture - Richmond
9. Suburbs - not sure
10. Parks/Outdoor recreation - Greenville
11. Scenery - Greenville
12. Transportation (Car, Public) - not sure
13. Where would you rather live? - Richmond but would be fine in either

I think Greenville has a slight advantage when it comes to the potential for future growth because it is a bit more appealing to retirees. If we're talking about growth among young and mid-career professionals, then Richmond definitely comes out ahead there with a much larger white-collar economy with higher wages and a relatively similar cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City