Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban planning
Denver 9 19.57%
Seattle 20 43.48%
Minneapolis - St. Paul 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

In terms of modern urban planning (by American standards) in the 21st century which of these metro areas would you say has the best plan to accommodate urban growth and infrastructure in the decades ahead? I use these cities as examples of medium sized metros poised for exponential urban growth that currently have rapidly growing urban cores. Some things to consider....

Best inner city transit
Best suburban commuter transit lines
Best freeway upkeep
Zoning for density and infill
Room for small businesses
Large businesses/office space
Hotel and convention market
Affordability
Walkability
Bicycles lanes/trails
Parks
Public art

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-31-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
It's hard to not be impressed with how aggressive Denver has been in expanding it's mass transit options. It's much needed though, it's growth rivals that of Washington DC and Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth, which is a staggering amount of stress on the infrastructure.

My vote is for Denver. I've also heard of the city's more aggressive pursuits to make the area more bikeable and walkable but then again, I think every city is doing this to a bigger extent now compared to the past.

The Intermountain West in general is developing two big cities that are planning accordingly to population growth and infrastructural needs. Amazing, honestly.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
This is my loose opinion, so this is what I believe off the top of my head but I'm fairly willing to be proven otherwise:

Best inner city transit: Minneapolis/Seattle, Denver
Best suburban commuter transit lines: Denver, Minneapolis/Seattle
Best freeway upkeep: Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis
Zoning for density and infill: Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver
Room for small businesses: Minneapolis/Seattle, Denver
Large businesses/office space: Minneapolis/Seattle, Denver
Hotel and convention market: Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver
Affordability: Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle
Walkability: Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver
Bicycles lanes/trails: Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver
Parks: Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver
Public art: Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver

Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 PM

603 posts, read 930,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
This is my loose opinion, so this is what I believe off the top of my head but I'm fairly willing to be proven otherwise:

Parks: Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver
ParkScore lists their ranking order as Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle. What advantages do you feel Seattle has over Denver?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
ParkScore lists their ranking order as Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle. What advantages do you feel Seattle has over Denver?
Seattle has some beautiful parks on the water, but it's missing a large park near the urban core. Denver's Commons/Confluence parks are very attractive and right next to downtown.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Walkability
Bicycles lanes/trails
WalkScore website ranks them this way.

Walk Score - Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver

Bike Score - Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Seattle has some beautiful parks on the water, but it's missing a large park near the urban core. Denver's Commons/Confluence parks are very attractive and right next to downtown.
You can even go kayaking downtown! That's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quv7bnCnIXw

Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Well, regarding Seattle I had just been thinking of the area surrounding Lake Union specifically, but looking further into it, it seems that Denver does actually have a more extensive park system that is more accessible, especially from the core of the city (which Seattle does not). I think Seattle is fairly close behind Denver, but I suppose I would change my ranking to agree with ParkScore (Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle).

Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

The Intermountain West in general is developing two big cities that are planning accordingly to population growth and infrastructural needs. Amazing, honestly.

Just curious, Denver and what is the other big city?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Just curious, Denver and what is the other big city?
Salt Lake City. At this point Salt Lake City is the center of a 2.3 million persons metropolitan area and now sustains a growth rate among ALL major Western cities that ranks behind only Denver. It's growth rate is also comparable to that of Washington DC and a nudge behind the likes of Houston, Denver, and Dallas/Fort Worth. That makes it one of the fastest growing places in the entire country or even North America as a whole.

It's been rapidly infilling downtown, very dense development. Expanding it's transit options. Upgrading sidewalks and roads. Creating new ones. Making the city more bikeable and walkable.

You name it, they've been doing it, and the crazy thing is that those accolades haven't even registered to anyone outside of Utah yet or the Intermountain West in general.

If you looked at the Western United States (when excluding California, Hawaii, Alaska, and Montana) as three parts; Desert Southwest United States (AZ, NM, NV), Intermountain West United States (CO, WY, UT), and the Pacific Northwest United States (WA, ID, OR) ; I think the Intermountain West has prepared for population growth the best in terms of infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City