Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM

15 posts, read 23,715 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. A little about me... I am 23 and graduating from college this May of 2015. I love new technology and new ideas, even though I don't know how to code haha. I love live music such as Phish, String Cheese, Grateful Dead, and many more. I will be moving with my gf who is into all of the same things. Looking for an active night life, good weather, and a lot of jobs!

I checked out Denver and it was fun but I don't like how its soo cold and it is no where near water! I love to go boating surfing wake boarding and just hanging out by the water.

Super torn on what to do! The only thing holding me back from SF are the pricy rentals. Maybe y'all might know where some cheaper areas are around SF? At the same time Denver is getting pricey too!

Suggestions, insight, comments, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,681 times
Santa Cruz. Cheaper, near SF.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 PM

403 posts, read 598,430 times
I would choose Denver. Lots of other young professionals and it's much more affordable compared to San Francisco.
You would always be stressing about money in San Francisco and couldn't afford to do all of the fun things in the city.
You can always move to San Francisco when you move up on your career path and make more money. San Francisco is a great city, but imo the cost of living there is too high for a young professional right out of college with just a bachelor's degree. Denver is a great city as well, and you'll have lots of fun there!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,982,289 times
Go to San Diego instead.

Look, it is more expensive than Denver to either buy or rent, no getting around that. However it is cheaper than San Francisco Bay Area to either buy or rent. So it's cost is somewhere in between the two and if you're going to consider them, then consider San Diego too. You'll love it, everyone does, because it is pleasant and a very lovable environment.

The reason I suggest San Diego is because it hits 9 out of 10 on the things you want. It is exactly what you get if you cross a Denver with a San Francisco Bay Area, it is the middle ground. Go with that. Go from there.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,397,469 times
Stay away from SF. It's "hot" right now.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,462,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Stay away from SF. It's "hot" right now.
I agree. It's like the '60s again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Go to San Diego instead.

Look, it is more expensive than Denver to either buy or rent, no getting around that. However it is cheaper than San Francisco Bay Area to either buy or rent. So it's cost is somewhere in between the two and if you're going to consider them, then consider San Diego too. You'll love it, everyone does, because it is pleasant and a very lovable environment.

The reason I suggest San Diego is because it hits 9 out of 10 on the things you want. It is exactly what you get if you cross a Denver with a San Francisco Bay Area, it is the middle ground. Go with that. Go from there.
San Diego has stagnant wages and lack of jobs, but still keeps the Coastal California cost. L.A./O.C. might be better. S.D. is a short drive from the O.C., and another hour from L.A.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,372 times
Do you have a champagne pocket-book to go with your champagne tastes?!? If you can't code, I doubt you can get a job that pays enough for SF and Denver wages are nowhere near enough for their real estate costs.

I recommend getting a job first and then moving to where your job is. Poverty with a view is still poverty.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 AM

15 posts, read 23,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Do you have a champagne pocket-book to go with your champagne tastes?!? If you can't code, I doubt you can get a job that pays enough for SF and Denver wages are nowhere near enough for their real estate costs.

I recommend getting a job first and then moving to where your job is. Poverty with a view is still poverty.
Actually, I have an inheritance so yes I have expensive tastes. My inheritance is invested well and returned ~15% in 2014. Also, I have numerous skills but coding is just not one of them. In addition to that, in May I will have a degree in Communication and Marketing. Your negativity is not what this forum needs. A simple reply would have been nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City