Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is a better place to live?
BosWash Corridor 36 50.00%
Rust Belt 36 50.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Which area is a better place to live, overall and why?

Here are my standard categories of things to evaluate, discuss and compare:

Culture
Climate
Education Level of the People
Healthiness of the People
Economy
Vibe
Scenery
Pace
Amenities and Convenience
Things to Do
Politics
Religion
Traffic
Crime
History
Cost of Living
Gay Community/Life
Anything else you can think of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
If you have a million dollars, I-95 corridor.

If not, Rust Belt.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I consider the Rust Belt to include Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Erie, Buffalo, and Rochester

Culture Tie
Climate Tie
Education Level of the People Tie
Healthiness of the People Tie
Economy BoWash
Vibe Rust Belt. BoWash lives and breathes sports teams, Rust Belt lives and breathes their cities. An insane amount of pride from residents.
Scenery BoWash. Slight edge goes to the NE coast.
Pace Rust Belt. Slower pace, way more peaceful.
Amenities and Convenience Amenities, BoWash. Convenience, Rust Belt.
Things to Do Tie. There is always something going on around the Great Lakes area.
Politics Rust Belt. More moderate.
Religion Tie
Traffic Rust Belt
Crime Rust Belt. What bothers me is even the small cities and towns experience a large amount of crime in the BoWash corridor. It didn't used to be that way.
History BoWash
Cost of Living Rust Belt
Gay Community/Life BoWash

As much as I would LOVE to live on the NE Coast, I am leaning towards the Rust Belt.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I consider the Rust Belt to include Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Erie, Buffalo, and Rochester

Culture Tie
Climate Tie
Education Level of the People Tie
Healthiness of the People Tie
Economy BoWash
Vibe Rust Belt. BoWash lives and breathes sports teams, Rust Belt lives and breathes their cities. An insane amount of pride from residents.
Scenery BoWash. Slight edge goes to the NE coast.
Pace Rust Belt. Slower pace, way more peaceful.
Amenities and Convenience Amenities, BoWash. Convenience, Rust Belt.
Things to Do Tie. There is always something going on around the Great Lakes area.
Politics Rust Belt. More moderate.
Religion Tie
Traffic Rust Belt
Crime Rust Belt. What bothers me is even the small cities and towns experience a large amount of crime in the BoWash corridor. It didn't used to be that way.
History BoWash
Cost of Living Rust Belt
Gay Community/Life BoWash

As much as I would LOVE to live on the NE Coast, I am leaning towards the Rust Belt.

I do not know where you got your reasoning for most of those.... the only categories that the Rust Belt takes are Pace, Traffic, and Cost of Living.

The Boswash corridor is the most powerful and influential stretch of land in the country, and possibly the world.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Nep strikes again in his relentless quest to put down the midwest.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
As someone who has lived in both Cleveland and Boston and enjoyed both cities, I feel somewhat qualified to address this:

Culture - draw. Each city in both places have cool cultural things and are unique. Culture is more accessible in Rust Belt though.
Climate - draw.
Education Level of the People - BosWash
Healthiness of the People - BosWash
Economy - BosWash
Vibe - not sure what this means, but sounds almost so vague as to be meaningless
Scenery - draw. beautiful areas in both places.
Pace - Depends what you like.
Amenities and Convenience - Draw. BosWash probably has slightly more amenities, but not as easily accessible, in my opinion.
Things to Do - draw. Rust Belt people sometimes think there's nothing to do, but they just need to get out more.
Politics - meh
Religion - meh
Traffic - Rust Belt traffic is way better
Crime - The bad areas of the Rust Belt are much worse than the bad areas in BosWash. Outside of those areas, it's comparable.
History - Revolutionary, colonial- BosWash, but the Rust Belt has some pretty cool historical things going on as well.
Cost of Living - Rust Belt hands down
Gay Community/Life - I don't know.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I do not know where you got your reasoning for most of those.... the only categories that the Rust Belt takes are Pace, Traffic, and Cost of Living.

The Boswash corridor is the most powerful and influential stretch of land in the country, and possibly the world.
My opinion since I have lived in both regions. If you ask a specific question, then I will explain.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Nep strikes again in his relentless quest to put down the midwest.
Um no. I've been applying to jobs in the Midwest (specifically in the Columbus area), but I have lived in the BosWash my entire life, so that's why I'm on here asking for opinions and experiences. I'm interested in the Midwest. Geez.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Um no. I've been applying to jobs in the Midwest (specifically in the Columbus area), but I have lived in the BosWash my entire life, so that's why I'm on here asking for opinions and experiences. I'm interested in the Midwest. Geez.
Columbus is not the Rust Belt, if that's where you're thinking of moving. The different between Columbus and Cleveland can be pretty noticable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City