Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Orleans on the same level of urbanity as SF or East Coast Cities?
Yes 36 32.43%
No 75 67.57%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if people think that New Orleans is underrated as a great urban place when compared to SF or places like Boston or Philadelphia or DC.

I know that most people would probably scoff at the idea of comparing NOLA to these places but I've always likened the city to the other dense, old cities of the country. In New Orleans, there are dense neighborhoods that are walkable and very well-connected by buses and streetcars. The urban core is much larger than just "downtown" as it comprises many neighborhoods that span a large area of continuous urban development. This is the opposite of many cities in America which only have "downtown" and the rest is basically suburban development.

Basically, I want to know if you think that the urban core of New Orleans, despite its much smaller population, is on (or atleast close to) the same level of urbanity as SF, Boston and other East Coast Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
The central core is yes (3-4 square miles)... but after that no. The size of the metro is probably the biggest difference.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
New Orleans is entirely its own thing. Most similar to Charleston or Savannah.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
I don't know...I think New Orleans deserves some credit. Historically, it has been the only urban place in the South and has a much bigger city feel than Charleston and Savannah. I'm looking past pure numbers and looking at this from a much more structuralist point of view. New Orleans is an urban place in the sea of the suburban Sun-Belt. I know it doesn't have the population SF has or Philadelphia but New Orleans provides its residents a distinct urban experience as these do. Sure, NOLA may not have the typical row-house architecture or brick buildings but the city is one of the few cities in America that has an urban identity, like the aforementioned cities.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't know...I think New Orleans deserves some credit. Historically, it has been the only urban place in the South and has a much bigger city feel than Charleston and Savannah. I'm looking past pure numbers and looking at this from a much more structuralist point of view. New Orleans is an urban place in the sea of the suburban Sun-Belt. I know it doesn't have the population SF has or Philadelphia but New Orleans provides its residents a distinct urban experience as these do. Sure, NOLA may not have the typical row-house architecture or brick buildings but the city is one of the few cities in America that has an urban identity, like the aforementioned cities.
The problem is New Orleans ceased to be a prime job center... Atlanta and Houston both trumped it long ago. This is a problem I would imagine with the local gov there. Urban city sure, but also with a lot of urban problems compared to the "good".

Is it urban? Yes... it isn't a super major city like the rest though...but it could have been?

It's actually quite narrower in the streets than several of the major cities and has very old architecture. The density is about 20k in the 3-4 square mile center, which is pretty decent as there is a lot of 2-3 story buildings in this area. There are also a lot of hotels which bring it down.

The way it stands though, most people will live it for visits, and have brighter opportunities elsewhere.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Yes, when you go to NOLA, you can still see the bone structure that made it one of the greatest cities ever created in America. If the city could ever turn it around they would trump so many cities it would not even be a contest.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
NOLA is not even comparable to the urbanity of cities like Seattle, LA, or Miami nevermind comparing it to Sf or Philly

Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
NOLA is not even comparable to the urbanity of cities like Seattle, LA, or Miami nevermind comparing it to Sf or Philly
Uhh yeah it is NOLA > LA, Miami, Seattle in it's core.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't know...I think New Orleans deserves some credit. Historically, it has been the only urban place in the South and has a much bigger city feel than Charleston and Savannah. I'm looking past pure numbers and looking at this from a much more structuralist point of view.
Not sure about that. I think cities like Richmond and Louisville come close, at least historically. But I think urban renewal and the interstate might have impacted their cores moreso than NOLA's.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Everything but GDP and population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City