Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,970,905 times

Advertisements

^ I'm not really comparing a moving company study versus the census. I'm pretty much just saying that the Census estimates are usually somewhat off and there's a lot of evidence for that.

I doubt Chicago is truly #1 (Houston probably is), but it's higher than most people think. A number of people have been moving to Chicago lately and a lot of them are not anything but middle and upper class people. It's undergoing a little bit of what happened to San Francisco or NYC. There's been a lot of lower class that's moved out, but there's been a lot of middle and upper class to move in. Rents and home prices are rising in many areas of the city, construction is ramping up again, etc. Almost 6 years ago when I got my job and was looking to move to Chicago, I was looking at a few nice, new places in Lakeshore East and it was $1500/month for a 1 bedroom. Today a 1 bedroom in those same buildings is about $2000-$2500/month. If you look at the estimate numbers (yeah, again not 100% accurate, but it's semi truthful), there's been a big increase in the amount of college educated people aged 25+ in the city even since 2008. Prices are increasing and there's a good amount of lower class moving out in some areas and being replaced by middle/upper class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,778,033 times
This is hardly a list to draw any conclusions from whatsoever. Its one company.

Im much more interested in the metro areas that are growing jobs, growing domestic and international migrants, and whose populations are booming according to the ACS or census (even thogh Im well aware those lists arent fool proof).

Old 09-14-2014, 12:36 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,391,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I'm not really comparing a moving company study versus the census. I'm pretty much just saying that the Census estimates are usually somewhat off and there's a lot of evidence for that.

I doubt Chicago is truly #1 (Houston probably is), but it's higher than most people think. A number of people have been moving to Chicago lately and a lot of them are not anything but middle and upper class people. It's undergoing a little bit of what happened to San Francisco or NYC. There's been a lot of lower class that's moved out, but there's been a lot of middle and upper class to move in. Rents and home prices are rising in many areas of the city, construction is ramping up again, etc. Almost 6 years ago when I got my job and was looking to move to Chicago, I was looking at a few nice, new places in Lakeshore East and it was $1500/month for a 1 bedroom. Today a 1 bedroom in those same buildings is about $2000-$2500/month. If you look at the estimate numbers (yeah, again not 100% accurate, but it's semi truthful), there's been a big increase in the amount of college educated people aged 25+ in the city even since 2008. Prices are increasing and there's a good amount of lower class moving out in some areas and being replaced by middle/upper class.

The much celebrated decline of Chicago...caused IMO by hatred from the right of Obama's ascendancy and from the Left of it (Chicagoans) taking over DC from Coastal elites was an interesting phenomenon of the recent years.

This negativity (Drudge Report promoting it as Chiraq) seems to have played itself out. All the while, Chicago has been doing what it has ALWAYS done, reinventing itself. Chicago is like the Bipolar disorder patient amongst cities....just when you think it is suicidal and ready to quit, it gets busy. For those that know and lover her, Chicago is getting ready for its next reincarnation. Exciting times ahead IMO.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
This is stats from one professional moving company. While it is likely to be representative of people/families who hire professional movers, it excludes people who rent Uhauls or simply pack up their car.

The class of people/families who hire professional movers will tend to have higher than average incomes, more educated than average, and more likely to be employed by large corporations than average.

Thus, while it seems reasonable that there are more upper-income folks moving to Chicago than Houston, I also have no doubt that there are more people overall moving to Houston than Chicago.
Exactly! And these people are more likely to be moving because of a job, either a new job or a transfer. These aren't the people who post on CD: "I'm planning to move to Denver next week. How much in savings do you think I need until I find a job?"

Also, 2014 is not even 75% over yet. How'd they determine 2014 statistics?

Denver is growing when you could people, not moving van hires; so are all the suburban counties.
http://denverurbanism.com/2014/04/de...date-2014.html

Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
This negativity (Drudge Report promoting it as Chiraq) seems to have played itself out. All the while, Chicago has been doing what it has ALWAYS done, reinventing itself. Chicago is like the Bipolar disorder patient amongst cities....just when you think it is suicidal and ready to quit, it gets busy. For those that know and lover her, Chicago is getting ready for its next reincarnation. Exciting times ahead IMO.
Yeah, we'll see. I have a friend who works somewhere that is always in the know about many things months before they happen in the city dealing with business, real estate, etc. He can't tell me anything but has said that "Chicago is about to explode" (in a good way). He couldn't tell me anything else, but it will be interesting to see if he's right and what exactly he means.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 PM

My guess is there is an awful lot of money on the sidelines waiting to see if Rauner can wrest control of the state from the government unions...err...the Democrat Party. a more pro-business low tax, clean house administration in Springfield could unleash a lot of pent up investment IMO. If the people of Illinois don't take this opportunity to try a new approach and let the Unions maintain control....they are total idiots.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
My guess is there is an awful lot of money on the sidelines waiting to see if Rauner can wrest control of the state from the government unions...err...the Democrat Party. a more pro-business low tax, clean house administration in Springfield could unleash a lot of pent up investment IMO. If the people of Illinois don't take this opportunity to try a new approach and let the Unions maintain control....they are total idiots.
That's part of it, but he was talking more about stuff that's already in the works but hasn't been announced yet relating to business and real estate types of things. Things have been ramping up with new housing in some parts of town. A good amount of it has come since 2012 and there's supposed to be much more coming in the next few years.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,360,882 times
I think there's already another thread on this, but this is an incredibly silly "study".

It's a private company ranking their personal moves. The company happens to be located in the Midwest, a few hours south of Chicago. Incredibly, the biggest city in the Midwest happens to be their biggest market. What a shocker!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 PM

your premise is bizarre....the same company's statistics showed large outmigration from Chicago a few years ago.

It is also the LARGEST moving company in the nation. If any company has its pulse on where Americans, at least those with enough cash to pay for such services are moving, it is United Van Lines.

think about it, such trends are a very important aspect of the company's operations...so it's in their interest to stay atop such info.

Oh, but because it's a Midwestern company....they are surely Not to be trusted with such statistics? Wtf?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,660,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
#5 Los Angeles?

I would NOT move to anywhere in Los Angeles. Unless you have a VERY good job paying mega bucks you are going to be miserable here and have a very subpar life. When you see all the great things about LA they fail to mention that it is only for those with pots of money... the rest life a miserable hand to mouth existence.

In addition many business are moving out of California, Toyota was the latest to move from LA to Dallas/Ft. Worth. A few years ago Nissan moved from LA to Tennessee. More will follow since this state has the nation's most anti-business climate. California also has a myriad of budgetary problems due to it being a welfare (liberal) state. CA has unfunded obligations in the form of government pensions that are absolutely staggering. Who is going to pay for all that is anyone's guess
And which--pray tell--God-forsaken, Evangelical, pancake-flat, Tornado Alley/Deep South state do you hail from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City