Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,831 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Our family of 4 (me, wife, 2 kids) are planning a move within a year to the NM TX area and were wanting some insights as to whether it would be better to live and work in Las Cruces, El Paso, or some alternative combination of commuting. We are both nurses, and I should have my Masters in Public Health by the time we get there. Any pros or cons of the living/working/commuting arrangements would be greatly appreciated! Both cities are relatively close to one another, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark as to which would be a better place to live and work without having lived in either of them

Thanks all!

(Moving from Western, NY, by the way)

Last edited by johnnyscruton1986; 09-11-2014 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,836,665 times
Las Cruces has more charm, it's located in a more beautiful setting and there is a lot of agriculture in the area, the Organ Mountains are some of the most beautiful in the Southwest, and has the presence of NMSU and Old Mesilla. There are some nice and newer neighborhoods on the Northeast side around Roadrunner Parkway.

El Paso is bigger, but it just isn't really an attractive city. El Paso is ironically pretty safe, but the Juarez element looms large. It feels very much like a border town.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,293 times
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a quieter, mid-sized town with less traffic then go with Las Cruces. If you want more amenities and entertainment options, then go with El Paso. I lived in El Paso for three years and loved it. The people there are extremely friendly and welcoming. El Paso is a big city with a small town feel. And it is very safe. In fact, it regularly ranks as one of the safest large cities in the U.S. Also, there are plenty of good private and public schools in El Paso.

Furthermore, I don't think the cost of living is that much less in Las Cruces. You will save a few bucks, especially on property taxes, but Las Cruces isn't significantly cheaper than El Paso. So if you take a job in El Paso, I don't see why you would want to commute everyday from LC.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM

555 posts, read 862,563 times
another vote for El Paso. I lived there for a year and loved it. Like others saide its a big city with a small town feel.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
Cruces for me, easily. Much better culturally, prettier setting, and trending upward. Unless you need a bigger city, but you wouldn't have thrown this out here if that were the case.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM

555 posts, read 862,563 times
I want to clarify. Las Cruces would also be a nice place to live (and a nice short drive from EP). I miss having dinner at La Posta. Great food!

Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
Another vote for Cruces.
Beautiful setting, just the right size.

Regularly makes top ten lists of best places to live/retire.

If you occasionally need bigger city things, EP is a short car ride away.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 PM

340 posts, read 609,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyscruton1986 View Post
Hello everyone,

Our family of 4 (me, wife, 2 kids) are planning a move within a year to the NM TX area and were wanting some insights as to whether it would be better to live and work in Las Cruces, El Paso, or some alternative combination of commuting. We are both nurses, and I should have my Masters in Public Health by the time we get there. Any pros or cons of the living/working/commuting arrangements would be greatly appreciated! Both cities are relatively close to one another, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark as to which would be a better place to live and work without having lived in either of them

Thanks all!

(Moving from Western, NY, by the way)
I think you should post this question in the El Paso forum as well, as you'll get better responses about El Paso. I would say to go whichever area you get a job. Driving from, say, Las Cruces to far east El Paso everyday would be hell. But going from El Paso's Upper Valley to Las Cruces wouldn't be so bad, except you'd be spending a lot on gas...

And, I totally disagree with those saying El Paso has a small town feel. It sort of used to, but not anymore. It has changed a lot in recent years and much of El Paso is more like suburbia. (Abeit, fairly crowded suburbia.) It's really not super urban, but definitely not small town-ish either. As far as which area you'll prefer, I think it depends on your personal preferences. (El Paso is, of course, more crowded with more traffic.)

Also, do you or your wife speak Spanish? If not, it would be very wise to learn at least some rudimentary Spanish before applying for jobs in this area.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM

44 posts, read 73,909 times
I lived in Las Cruces for ten years; commuted to El Paso/Juarez for entertainment. I passed through the region two months ago on my way to California. Las Cruces has grown in some areas but has not in many. Still, it is a quaint and lovely. I would recommend LC over El Paso. El Paso is better for visiting rather than for living. IMO

Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
And, I totally disagree with those saying El Paso has a small town feel. It sort of used to, but not anymore. It has changed a lot in recent years and much of El Paso is more like suburbia. (Abeit, fairly crowded suburbia.) It's really not super urban, but definitely not small town-ish either. As far as which area you'll prefer, I think it depends on your personal preferences. (El Paso is, of course, more crowded with more traffic.)
I have heard several people say that El Paso has lost it's small town feel and the people have become less friendly. I left El Paso in 2006 and I have visited several times since then, but I have to defer to people and my friends who are still in the area. And most are saying that El Paso is changing, and in a bad way.

The population and economy in EP has grown significantly over the last decade or so. But with that growth comes big city issues like traffic, rude people, more crime and class stratification. I still love EP, but I hope it doesn't turn into a typically "rat race" American big city.

I know many EP natives wanted (and still want) exponential growth. But be careful of what you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City