Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 22,119 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This isn't a new question from other threads out there but I'm looking for some personalized advice. I've done a ton of research but I'm just not finding enough information.

My husband and I currently live on the outskirts of Seattle and we are in LOVE. The mountain and ocean views (and activities available), the numerous national and state parks, the quirky vibe, and the weather are our top favorite aspects but we love absolutely everything out here. The attitude of the general population -nice, but removed- is to our liking, too. People here aren't rude, they just aren't in-your-face friendly and we like it.

The only problem is the location... We moved here from Michigan a few years ago and really miss our family and friends back home. We're looking to move closer to home but want a city as similar to Seattle as possible, because this is our dream home. Every single thing about this place is perfect except for the fact that it's over 2,000 miles away from home.

I know that nothing out east will even come close for us, but I would still like some suggestions for cities that wouldn't be half bad. It needs to be within about a 12 hour drive from Michigan's border. It has to either have the ocean (or just a ton of fresh water) or the mountains. Preferably both. We've looked a lot at Boston, but have gotten mixed views - people seem to think it's either the best or worst city to live in. So more opinions on that would be good (have also heard that east coasters are really snobby and rude to people who aren't from there..? How true is that?). Other parameters would be - no further west than Pittsburgh and nothing south of Virginia.

My husband has a tech job and I'm a social worker. I can get a job anywhere, but my husbands job is centered around video games so we need another place that has a big focus on that like Seattle does. We're in our mid 20's, but we don't care much about nightlife. Kids will be a factor in a few years so great schools and safety will be a priority at that point. We don't care about public transportation or walkability. Weather is no factor for us, the only climate we could not stand to live in is one that is consistently hot.

Thank you for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Philadelphia might work well for you. Grittier and older than Seattle but larger too and is really in a nice centralized location. Great, large downtown area. Plenty of amazing school districts surrounding the city. The tech scene in Philly is really up and coming. May find what you're looking for here.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
Burlington/Plattsburgh area is like Seattle, topography wise, but jobs could be a big issue.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Boston is probably the best choice. New York City would be a 2nd choice. This is based on the number of video game studios in either city. Of course, both cities have a lot less (and more indie) developers than what you'd find in Seattle or San Francisco so you'd have to take into account that your husband would be searching for a job a lot longer than if he was on the West Coast.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:38 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Would something like this work for your husband, OP? Making Magic | Syracuse New Times

Boston comes to mind, but maybe on a smaller scale, Portland ME or Providence may fit. Perhaps Albany NY too.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:09 AM

389 posts, read 595,938 times
Not on the East Coast, but I always hear Minneapolis compared to Seattle. It doesn't have the ocean or mountains, but it does have the fresh water. Plus it's close to Michigan.

I also hear Denver compared to Seattle (especially because of this years Super Bowl), although that is over 12 hours away, but still about half the distance of Seattle.

Although, I guess both of those cities are west of Pittsburgh.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Not on the East Coast, but I always hear Minneapolis compared to Seattle. It doesn't have the ocean or mountains, but it does have the fresh water. Plus it's close to Michigan.

I also hear Denver compared to Seattle (especially because of this years Super Bowl), although that is over 12 hours away, but still about half the distance of Seattle.

Although, I guess both of those cities are west of Pittsburgh.
People mainly just compare Denver and Seattle because of the legal Marijuana thing in WA and CO. Beyond that, they really aren't much alike.

Minneapolis is much more like Seattle than Denver is. In fact, I would say Minneapolis would be the closest thing to an "Eastern sister city" that Seattle has, even though Minneapolis is Upper Midwestern and not really an Eastern city.

On the East coast, I don't really think there are any cities like Seattle.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
I think there is none, Seattle is quite unique with its very Northwest geographical features (mountains, cold ocean shores, pine trees all over and rainy).

The closest city in size on the east coast that mirrors Seattle would be Boston (But Boston is not nearly as rainy, nor it's surrounded by mountains)

Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
I agree that Boston would be the closest fit. Strong Tech economy, including gaming industry; easy to find a quirky vibe in places like Cambridge and Somerville for example; located on the ocean; excellent park system; not surrounded by mountains but within striking distance of New Hampshire and Vermont for weekend or day trips. Also in the Massachusetts has the highest performing public school students in the country so schools wont be an issue if you choose to start a family in the future.

The mixed reviews on Boston stem alot from the COL. It is significantly more expensive than Seattle and the spaces more cramped within the city limits and bordering. I lived in the Boston area (Boston and Cambridge) for over 7 years and enjoyed my time there, still own a home in Cambridge and plan on possibly returning in the future. I would recommend settling in an area with alot of transplants as you will feel more comfortable from my experience.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Overall Boston would be closest fit, then NYC.

Maybe if your husband is working in video games, then go to NYC. NYC has more of a video game industry than Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City