Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times

Advertisements

I wanted to compare these two fairly similar Merrimack Valley cities to see what the rest of you think. Manchester is a bit bigger, but I thought it was a better comparison than if I through in Nashua. So, which is better?

Criteria

Quality of Life:
Cost of Living:
Transportation:
Nightlife:
Urban Core:
Safety:
Things to do:
Access to outdoor activities:

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Manchester has much larger city limits, about 2.3 times larger than Lowell. So their similar population does not reflect the urban cores, Lowell's urban core is larger.
That said, Manchester is closer to the mountains and lakes of New Hampshire (obviously), and is safer.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
This may be better in the MA or NH forum, I wouldn't expect most people to know anything about Manchester and not much about Lowell outside of the Lowell Girls from History class.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
No one really outside of New England really knows enough about either city to make a fair comparison about these two cities.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:41 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
I wanted to avoid putting it in a NH or MA forum because I thought the results might be skewed.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
They both have some similarities as they are both old mill cities that happen to be on the same river. I'm not really big on either as in New England I prefer the coastal burgs to the inland mill towns. Lowell would be a better choice if you're more of a city person that appreciate more ethnic diversity (one of Lowell's strong points) and being closer to Boston with commuter rail access to it. Lowell also has the UMass Lowell campus so there is a some of that college town element there as well.

Neither city really has a great downtown though I'd give Lowell a slight edge there as it has Beer Works which is great if you're into craft beer. Manchester feels like a very average workaday kind of place. I guess the advantage to Manchester if your working in NH is no state income tax, NH also has no sales tax (Lowell has easy access to that with nearby malls in Nashua). If you like the idea of having easier access to NH lakes and mountains and not having to deal with 93 or route 3 traffic coming up from Mass (can be brutal at times), Manchester would be a better choice for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City