Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most dangerous from crime?
New York 5 2.75%
Los Angeles 4 2.20%
Chicago 68 37.36%
Washington DC 29 15.93%
San Francisco 4 2.20%
Boston 2 1.10%
Philadelphia 38 20.88%
Dallas 3 1.65%
Miami 22 12.09%
Houston 7 3.85%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times

Advertisements

Out of these 10 cities.....which one is the most dangerous from crime?

- New York
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC
- San Francisco
- Boston
- Philadelphia
- Dallas
- Miami
- Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
I was kinda thinking Detroit would be in there, but I guess not.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Not sure when you consider all crime, but I believe that DC currently has the highest murder rate of those cities.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
I believe as of 2014, it is:

Washington DC
Miami
Philadelphia
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Boston
San Francisco
Los Angeles
New York City

Old 10-13-2014, 05:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
I'm not sure what the current stats are, and I don't really trust crime stats anyway, since they are often skewed by too many variables, but I have been hearing a lot recently about how much worse San Francisco has been getting. I don't know if it's as bad as Miami or D.C., but I keep hearing bad news about it.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't really trust crime stats anyway, since they are often skewed by too many variables

Here's the thing about crime stats. Lets take violent crime rate for distance. Well different cities report there violent crimes different than others. What could be an assault in one city could be a battery in another city. Than you have the actual crimes that are reported to police. If you're in a ghetto area, there's probably alot of crime that goes unreported as oppossed to an upscale area.

FBI — Caution Against Ranking

Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Philly

Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Philly
Except it's not haha. Good try though. Washington DC and Miami are higher in crime rates.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I'm not sure what the current stats are, and I don't really trust crime stats anyway, since they are often skewed by too many variables, but I have been hearing a lot recently about how much worse San Francisco has been getting. I don't know if it's as bad as Miami or D.C., but I keep hearing bad news about it.
San Francisco, as a whole, has been getting nearer to complete gentrification than any other cities on this list. Most of SF's worst crime in concentrated in a handful of high crime city neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the tiny black population in SF tends to be extremely poor and living in the projects in the outskirts of the city as the middle class black population was largely priced out of the city or fled for greener pastures in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The tiny poor black population in the projects, whom happens to account for a large disproportionate amount of the city's violent crime, is being forced out of SF at an alarming rate do to gentrification with projects being torn down left and right. The black population in SF is set to drop even lower than it's current small 5% of the city's population in the next five years.

Similarly, Latinos in the barrio of the Mission district, which is known for its long-standing violence between the gangs of Nortenos and Surenos, are being replaced by white techies and hipsters there. Gang injunctions have also successfully curbed the serious violent crime rate in the Mission as well as the in "the Harlem of the West" in the Fillmore district a.k.a. the Western Addition. The city of SF has also been tearing down many of the historically worst projects in Hunter's Point, perhaps the historically most dangerous neighborhood in the city, over the past few years. Even the worst city areas like the Sunydale projects in Visitacion Valley have seen their crime rates drop in the past couple years or so. Other high crime rate gentrifying ghetto areas like Oceanview have also seen a sharp decline in crime in the same time frame. All of these factors have caused SF's violent crime rate to drop to historically low levels over the past six years.

Homicide rate dives in San Francisco, Bay Area's big cities - SFGate

DC also is getting safer everyday. For a city with such a large black underclass, DC's crime rate is exceptionally low. Even neighborhoods that experienced early 90's levels of violent crime a few short years ago (i.e. Trinidad in NE DC) have become hubs of gentrification. Gentrification has touched almost every corner of the District.

Overall crime in D.C. metro area on the decline, says new report | WJLA.com

On this list, I say the most dangerous cities that are listed are a toss up between Philly and Chicago. Both are large cities with swaths of both cities still remaining to be completely un-gentrified high crime ghetto areas. There are large areas of both Chicago and Philly that you don't want to wander around in as an out of towner or gentrifier.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-13-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post

DC also is getting safer everyday. For a city with such a large black underclass, DC's crime rate is exceptionally low. Even neighborhoods that experienced early 90's levels of crime a few short years ago (i.e. Trinidad in NE DC) have become hubs of gentrification. Gentrification has touched almost every corner of the District.

Overall crime in D.C. metro area on the decline, says new report | WJLA.com

On this list, I say the most dangerous cities that are listed are a toss up between Philly and Chicago. Both are large cities with swaths of both cities still remaining to be completely un-gentrified high crime ghetto areas. There are large areas of both Chicago and Philly that you don't want to wander around in as an out of towner or gentrifier.
Except DC has the highest crime rate on the list lololol.

Check your facts.

DC and Miami are the two highest followed by Philly and Chicago. Guess stereotypes don't die hard do they? Even when the proven facts are right there in front of peoples faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City