Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,908,111 times

Advertisements

Despite its eight-year run, we still haven't had a comparison of these two cities. Both are the largest cities in a state that also has another metro area down a highway in which the central city is outside of its state, and both are cities that are known for being borderline southern and are at the upper end of being mid-sized while not quite a truly large city. Use the following categories to compare:

Economy
People
Urban Feel
Architecture
Politics
Future Potential
Scenery
Parks and Recreation
Performing Arts
Museums
Colleges
Crime and Safety
Attractions
Events
Sports
Diversity
Shopping
Cuisine
Congestion/Road network
Public Transportation
Overall

Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM

719 posts, read 787,983 times
Economy - Baltimore
Location - Baltimore
Suburbs - Baltimore
People - Louisville
Urban Feel - Baltimore
Architecture - Baltimore
Politics - N/A
Future Potential - Baltimore
Scenery - Baltimore
Parks and Recreation - Baltimore
Performing Arts - Baltimore
Museums - Baltimore
Colleges - Baltimore (by a long shot)
Crime and Safety - Louisville (by a long shot)
Attractions - Baltimore
Events - Baltimore
Sports - Baltimore
Diversity - Baltimore
Shopping - Baltimore
Cuisine - Baltimore
Congestion/Road network - Louisville
Public Transportation - Baltimore
Overall - Baltimore (by a long shot)

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

135 posts, read 178,341 times
I don't think you can legitimately compare these two - one is part of the Northeast corridor and 30 miles from Washington DC, the other on the border of Kentucky and Indiana and 110 miles from Cincinnati.

Louisville should be compared to Tulsa, OK or Jackson, MS for a more valid arguement.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,242,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I don't think you can legitimately compare these two - one is part of the Northeast corridor and 30 miles from Washington DC, the other on the border of Kentucky and Indiana and 110 miles from Cincinnati.

Louisville should be compared to Tulsa, OK or Jackson, MS for a more valid arguement.
You haven't been to Louisville have you? To Jackson, MS??? That's psychotic. I don't disagree that Baltimore wins this matchup, but in no way should Louisville be compared to Tulsa or Jackson. That's just insulting tbh. It's a city of almost 800k and a metro of over 1mil. Distance from another city is irrelevant when it comes to the quality of a city.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Economy-Baltimore
Location-Depends. Baltimore for water location near much larger cities. Louisville if you like rolling hills and the Midwest. But Baltimore's location to other cities and a beach wins for me.
Suburbs-Tie? Prospect, St. Matthews, etc. in Louisville are beautiful, but I'm sure Baltimore has great ones as well
People-Louisville
Urban Feel-Baltimore
Architecture-Baltimore, but Louisville can hold its own with Old Louisville being a huge historic district and the largest historic district of mostly Victorian architecture
Politics-Tie (depending on beliefs). Believe it or not Louisville is actually very socially accepting. Idk Baltimore well enough to say, but I'm assuming it's also liberal.
Future Potential-Baltimore by far
Scenery-Similar to Location
Parks and Recreation-Baltimore for recreation, Louisville for parks
Performing Arts-Baltimore I'm sure attracts more based solely on location and market that can be reached
Museums-Baltimore
Colleges-Baltimore. Johns Hopkins. Nothing else to say.
Crime and Safety-LOUISVILLE!!!
Attractions-Baltimore?
Events-Depends what type of events, but Baltimore for me probably. Kentucky Derby is here though!
Sports-Baltimore since Louisville doesn't have any major league teams. Louisville for college sports fans!!
Diversity-I'm guessing Baltimore?
Shopping-Baltimore probably has more options, but it's definitely not lacking at all in Louisville
Cuisine-Louisville has been ranked as an underrated foodie city many times
Congestion/Road network-Louisville
Public Transportation-Baltimore has a subway. 'nuff said.
Overall-Depends. City people will prefer Baltimore if you can get past the crime rate. Louisville for a more laid-back, friendly person

Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,538,939 times
Louisville

Old 10-03-2014, 01:15 PM

9,599 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post

You know you were wrong for that. To the OP, I would classify Baltimore as a large city.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:03 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,736,229 times
Tulsa would definitely be a valid comparison city for Louisville. Jackson would be a stretch, but it's not much more of a stretch than comparing Louisville to Baltimore.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Not saying it sarcastically or negatively. But how would you actually say Louisville can compare to Tulsa? Louisville to Baltimore does seem like a strange comparison, also, but I think they're closer than Louisville and Tulsa...IMO. Jackson though??

Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,307,238 times
Louisville...easily one of the most underrated cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City