Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will be the 2nd million people /urban city in the midwest?
Columbus 88 63.77%
Indinanapolis 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Would Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, or Barney's work at Circle Center? Why or why not? Louisville had Lord and Taylor which closed in 2004. Speculation back then was that the market was not large enough and incomes were not high enough to support the store. It was still something they took a chance on Louisville though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Would Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, or Barney's work at Circle Center? Why or why not? Louisville had Lord and Taylor which closed in 2004. Speculation back then was that the market was not large enough and incomes were not high enough to support the store. It was still something they took a chance on Louisville though.
No, for those same reasons. Simon Property Group couldn't get any retailer to fill that space and they really tried as it's better for malls in general to have an anchor like that. Nordstrom closed because most of their customers came from the conventions/sporting events and the everyday downtown population was not enough on its own to sustain the store. That should change with these cities (Louisville and C-bus too) in the next decade or two as more affluent people migrate to downtown areas, but right now, downtown malls can't hold anchor department stores very well in these midsize Midwest cities. Cincinnati is holding on to a downtown Macy's mostly because it's HQ'ed there, and a Saks Fifth Avenue because a deal to move out to the suburbs fell through, but that's an exception.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 PM

45 posts, read 88,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachfromwest View Post
So with Columbus being a very face growing city in the midwest along with Indianapolis. which one do you think will be the next midwestern city to join the million population club with Chicago? Which one will have a more urban downtown/city center in the next 20 years?
Technically Detroit was the second Midwestern city to reach one million, and it was in the 1930 Census that the Motor City crossed the one million mark. I do realize that Detroit fell below one million by the 2000 Census, but neither Indianapolis nor Columbus would be considered the second Midwestern city to break past the one million barrier since Detroit already did that. Whichever one of those cities reaches one million first, will be the only other Midwestern city other than Chicago of course to have one million people or more currently. I feel like there should be more clarification with this topic as to how many cities in the Midwest crossed one million at any time in their existence. Based on the growth trends it looks like CBus will sail into the one million club before Indy will.

For what it's worth I don't think Indianapolis will have to wait too long to jump into the one million or more population club after Columbus does so. I'd say Indy shouldn't take more than ten years after CBus reaches one million, to move into the one million or more population club itself. Once Indianapolis and Columbus both get over a million, then we will have three Midwestern cities currently with a population at one million or above. Since CBus looks like it will break through the one million barrier before Indy does, that would make Columbus the third Midwestern city in history (and the first in Ohio's history) to pass one million in population. Indianapolis will then become the fourth Midwestern city in history to reach one million or more in population.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
If both cities continue to grow at around the current rate with maybe a small uptick during a population boom, Indianapolis will reach 1 million residents right around 2034. Columbus will reach a million about 2 or 3 years earlier.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHellcat01 View Post
Technically Detroit was the second Midwestern city to reach one million, and it was in the 1930 Census that the Motor City crossed the one million mark.
Actually Detroit surpassed 1 million residents in 1919-20 and remained above 1 million for 75 years until 1994-95

Old 10-25-2019, 11:07 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
IND and CLB are growing at a nice, steady pace. CLB slightly more.

They're pretty much twins, and you can't go wrong with either.

CLB will reach 1 million a few years before IND.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
IND and CLB are growing at a nice, steady pace. CLB slightly more.

They're pretty much twins, and you can't go wrong with either.

CLB will reach 1 million a few years before IND.
I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch if I were Columbus. They may not even reach 1 million before growth slows or reverses. With no plans to build a serious mass transit system, why would population growth continue as the city gets denser and more expensive?

Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 PM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch if I were Columbus. They may not even reach 1 million before growth slows or reverses. With no plans to build a serious mass transit system, why would population growth continue as the city gets denser and more expensive?
Columbus is having its best growth decade in its history, which is amazing considering that it has had growth in every census.

But I agree that it is going to be very tough for Columbus to maintain this pace and it could be hitting the critical mass. Take a look at city limits, there is almost no undeveloped land left. The city will either have to annex and sprawl more or start building up (which it is doing). And, I agree, you can only build up so much if you don't have the transit infrastructure to support that level of density.

I don't expect Columbus to start losing population, but I think this was it for that massive population boom. Probably looking at a more modest level in the near future, especially because Cincinnati is starting to show positive growth again (and is starting to really close the gap on Columbus at the metro level). Cleveland looks like it will start showing a population gain at the city and metro level in the coming years as well. Columbus benefited a ton when those cities/metros were losing population. Now, both look like they are going to add to that competition.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I was gonna call you cookoo because, well look at some other sunbelt cities with absolute zilch for public transit that are growing like nobody's business. Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix, Las Vegas, ect. When you do mention the city boundaries though, it makes sense that obviously a city's growth will start spilling out into its suburbs, but I don't think a city could stop growing *because* of no mass transit. Some cities are just destined to function without it.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I was gonna call you cookoo because, well look at some other sunbelt cities with absolute zilch for public transit that are growing like nobody's business. Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix, Las Vegas, ect. When you do mention the city boundaries though, it makes sense that obviously a city's growth will start spilling out into its suburbs, but I don't think a city could stop growing *because* of no mass transit. Some cities are just destined to function without it.
I don't think you know much about public transit in some of those cities you mentioned, namely Charlotte and Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City