U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,717,364 times

Advertisements

Let me know your thoughts about their line-up...

Top 10 Dangerous Cities in America:

10. Atlanta, GA
9. Baltimore, MD
8. Birmingham, AL
7. Memphis, TN
6. Chicago, IL
5. Camden, NJ
4. St Louis, MO
3. Flint, MI
2. Oakland, CA
1. Detroit, MI

"Honorable" Mentions: Orlando FL, Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY, Little Rock AR, Milwaukee WI, Springfield MO

Do you agree or disagree? Let me know your thoughts. Ciao

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 11-04-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 PM

10,486 posts, read 14,130,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

Top 10 Dangerous Cities in America:

10. Atlanta, GA
9. Baltimore, MD
8. Birmingham, AL
7. Memphis, TN
6. Chicago, IL
5. Camden, NJ
4. St Louis, MO
3. Flint, MI
2. Oakland, CA
1. Detroit, MI

"Honorable" Mentions: Orlando FL, Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY, Little Rock AR, Milwaukee WI, Springfield MO

Do you agree or disagree? Let me know your thoughts. Ciao
"Honorable" Mentions: Orlando and Springfield?

But no New Orleans/Stockton/Newark/Philly/DC/Miami

Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM

6,504 posts, read 3,962,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

They did it off of the FBI violent crime stats. I am not saying those cities don't have crime, but you would be surprised I think how much crime has fallen statistically in some places.

Anyway.. That video made me sad. It is odd to think how young murderers are sometimes in the inner cities. Kid's coming of age, basically confused about every aspect of life. IMO drugs really do play a large part in it. I think other cities should follow Philadelphia's lead, and decriminalize MJ. 30 grams or less gets you a 25 dollar ticket, or $100 ticket if you are smoking in public. Too many of these kids start down the path of a criminal from just minor offenses when they are still teenagers. That is by no means an answer to the problem, just an idea. The Cleveland basement thing was really messed up.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
They did it off of the FBI violent crime stats. I am not saying those cities don't have crime, but you would be surprised I think how much crime has fallen statistically in some places.

Anyway.. That video made me sad. It is odd to think how young murderers are sometimes in the inner cities. Kid's coming of age, basically confused about every aspect of life. IMO drugs really do play a large part in it. I think other cities should follow Philadelphia's lead, and decriminalize MJ. 30 grams or less gets you a 25 dollar ticket, or $100 ticket if you are smoking in public. Too many of these kids start down the path of a criminal from just minor offenses when they are still teenagers. That is by no means an answer to the problem, just an idea. The Cleveland basement thing was really messed up.
The psychology of criminal activity is almost if not always deeply anchored in desperation. You'll notice in neighborhoods where affluence abounds, criminal activity isn't an issue. People are fed, people are sheltered, and people are happy. Obviously this doesn't apply to petty adolescent mischief, but you get the point.

Young men join gangs to fill the need for family support, strong male figures, and guidance of any sort. Also, Drug trades flourish because its a way to establish income in areas with little to no opportunity, and where individuals need a way to cope with their situations.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:41 PM

4,649 posts, read 7,769,754 times
I don't doubt Detroit as #1 for crime despite it still falling in recent years, but can news organizations stop lumping everything in with the bankruptcy? It's huge misinformation that the sole reason for the bankruptcy was because of the condition of the city. Conditions certainly didn't help, but the main reason for the bankruptcy was due to bad loans before the market crash and growing pension obligations. Certainly with a growing tax base, all that could be pushed under a rug, but decay and crime didn't have anything to do with the growing cost of pensions.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:54 PM

8,700 posts, read 13,254,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

There are at least a dozen major cities more dangerous than Philadelphia in the US in 2013/2014. Crime has dropped pretty significantly.

New Orleans, Detroit, Cleveland, Maimi, DC, Atlanta, Oakland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Memphis, St. Louis, Birmingham, Newark, Kansas City, Stockton, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, etc. etc. all have higher crime rates than Philadelphia.

That's not including the smaller cities: Camden, Flint, Gary, East St. Louis, Hartford, Trenton, etc.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 PM

11,288 posts, read 24,224,930 times
^ well the whole list they put together has dangerous cities on it, but it seems they did it based on perception or however they wanted, since the order isn't correct if you want to look at crime rates, and as people mentioned they skipped over a ton of other cities.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,340,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
There are at least a dozen major cities more dangerous than Philadelphia in the US in 2013/2014. Crime has dropped pretty significantly.

New Orleans, Detroit, Cleveland, Maimi, DC, Atlanta, Oakland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Memphis, St. Louis, Birmingham, Newark, Kansas City, Stockton, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, etc. etc. all have higher crime rates than Philadelphia.

That's not including the smaller cities: Camden, Flint, Gary, East St. Louis, Hartford, Trenton, etc.
...And if you look at MSAs like you should...

Old 11-04-2014, 05:38 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,340,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ well the whole list they put together has dangerous cities on it, but it seems they did it based on perception or however they wanted, since the order isn't correct if you want to look at crime rates, and as people mentioned they skipped over a ton of other cities.
Of course, all of these lists are just perceptions, agendas, etc. What is "the most dangerous"??? The chance of you encountering physical harm? Well... these don't show that...

Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Of course, all of these lists are just perceptions, agendas, etc. What is "the most dangerous"??? The chance of you encountering physical harm? Well... these don't show that...
Absolutely right. Honestly, I was most surprised to see Birmingham ranked above Baltimore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City