Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Miami.
San Diego - Americas Finest City 142 60.94%
Miami - Gateway to the Americas 91 39.06%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,099 times

Advertisements

San Diego vs Miami. Only the city proper. No metropolitan areas and their satellite cities, i.e. Miami Beach & La Jolla. Criteria are as follows

- nightlife
- waterfront
- famous landmarks
- things to do
- cuisine
- culture
- global influence
- beaches
- surf
- shopping

Just to list a few comparisons: both are home to immigrants, tourist capitals, great beaches, palm trees, good skylines.

Miami Pros:
"Miami is a well-known global city due to its importance in finance, commerce, culture, media, fashion, education, film, print media, entertainment, the arts and international trade."

"[Miami] is the busiest cruise ship passenger port in the world in both passenger traffic and cruise lines."

San Diego Pros:
"The city was rated the fifth best place to live in 2006 by Money Magazine."

"According to Forbes magazine, San Diego is the fifth-wealthiest city in the United States."

"A world city, San Diego contains many beaches, mountains, resorts, amusement parks, wildlife parks, zoos, and museums. The City is also the headquarters of the U.S. Navy's Eleventh Naval District and is the Navy's principal location for West Coast and Pacific Ocean operations."

San Diego: 1,359,132
Miami: 433,136

San Diego

vs

Miami

Last edited by S.D. Calif; 07-17-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
San Diego, all day.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
No offense, but if you look at the bottom of this thread, theres like 5 San Diego vs. Miami threads. Thats just showing SOME of them, theres probably even more.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:04 AM

Oh weird, i did a search and nothing came up.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

52 posts, read 98,715 times
No thanks, I'll take neither. Both have way too hot summers.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Yeah it's been done before:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-vs-miami.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ere-would.html

Plus I think it's a unfair to restrict the comparison to CITY proper as much of Miami's attractions are outside the actual city. Plus SD has ridiculously large city limits that make no sense.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotFat View Post
No thanks, I'll take neither. Both have way too hot summers.
SD summers are warmer than Duluth but not that much warmer:

average high/low

Jun: 72/63
July: 76/66
Aug: 78/67

Honestly, high 70's is "too hot" for you?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Lol summers are supposed to be hot.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah it's been done before:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-vs-miami.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ere-would.html

Plus I think it's a unfair to restrict the comparison to CITY proper as much of Miami's attractions are outside the actual city. Plus SD has ridiculously large city limits that make no sense.
City limits mean nothing as far as fairness goes. San Diego has the San Pasqual Valley which is large and undeveloped, except for the presence of the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal park and large swathes of Orange and Avocado groves. I think it might actually be a preserve.

If Miami's attractions are outside the city limits then I guess the city doesn't have much going for it.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
City limits mean nothing as far as fairness goes. San Diego has the San Pasqual Valley which is large and undeveloped, except for the presence of the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal park and large swathes of Orange and Avocado groves. I think it might actually be a preserve.

If Miami's attractions are outside the city limits then I guess the city doesn't have much going for it.
Get real, people compare metro areas on here not just city propers. Our lives do not stop at city limits, its what the metropolitan area offers that makes the biggest difference in lifestyle, things to do, attractions, etc...

Plus SD city limits make no sense, the San Pasqual Valley is a different world than the central city. The city limits have an imaginary line that runs down the middle of the bay to connect San Ysidro to the rest of the city with NC and CV in between. I think you put this pointless city proper limit on it to boost San Diego, which is unfair and a homerism imo. Miami Beach's nightlife, beaches, and attractions shouldn't be discounted just because of a small bay that separates it from Miami proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City