Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, height limits certainly have something to do with it. No, there are not 500,000 people in the core. There are 500,000 commuters coming into DC each day, but not all of them are heading downtown. You may be commuting from Silver Spring to the Washington Hospital Center, for example. There are 380,000 people working in DC's CBD, which is about 150,000 less than Chicago.

Sure there are. The amount of people walking around is certainly one of them. You don't think the fact that certain corners in NYC that see around 100,000 pedestrians a day has anything to do with why people consider it fast-paced? This is sounding like sour grapes now.

So you don't think there's any distinction to be made between rush hour crowds with people trying to get somewhere and a rally?
You flip flop more than Mitt Romney. Of course there are more people in Chicago's core. It's a much bigger city (population and physical size). But DC is remarkable because it has a greater percentage in almost every category I mentioned. You can't dispute that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

31,869 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You flip flop more than Mitt Romney. Of course there are more people in Chicago's core. It's a much bigger city (population and physical size). But DC is remarkable because it has a greater percentage in almost every category I mentioned. You can't dispute that.
Did you just not see what Fitzrovian posted? Not only does Chicago have a bigger core with more people, but a higher percentage of people commute into the core via transit. That means bigger number and higher percentage. What do you not understand about that?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That's a question you need to ask DDOT. Are they biased too?

Downtown D.C - YouTube

Wow. This is intimidating.
How do you know what day this is on? Was the Feds let out early? Is this a holiday? Is it a weekend? Are there street closures because of a World Bank protest? I can go cherry pick a photo of an empty Chicago EL train and say the same thing. You are making yourself look foolish.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM

13,677 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
https://wmata.com/pdfs/planning/FY12...By_Station.pdf

here is one need to find the others

Very interesting! I wonder how many station's in Chicago across the city have over 20,000 people going through their station's? The more you have, the faster paced your city will be. Any city can have a few area's with that many people going in and out. How many cities have multiple area's with that many people going in and out?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM

13,677 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Did you just not see what Fitzrovian posted? Not only does Chicago have a bigger core with more people, but a higher percentage of people commute into the core via transit. That means bigger number and higher percentage. What do you not understand about that?

And how big is the core we are talking about? To say you are fast paced, you have to have people over a very large area. This is not a conversation about intensity in a small area. It's about sustained vibrancy over a wide area across the city. Cities with multiple area's always win that debate. So, how large is Chicago's core? Also, what shape is it? If I go north, south, east, and west, how long till it falls off?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
How do you know what day this is on? Was the Feds let out early? Is this a holiday? Is it a weekend? Are there street closures because of a World Bank protest? I can go cherry pick a photo of an empty Chicago EL train and say the same thing. You are making yourself look foolish.
Why don't you go cherrypick some data?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And how big is the core we are talking about? To say you are fast paced, you have to have people over a very large area. This is not a conversation about intensity in a small area. It's about sustained vibrancy over a wide area across the city. Cities with multiple area's always win that debate. So, how large is Chicago's core? Also, what shape is it? If I go north, south, east, and west, how long till it falls off?
LOL. Are you being serious here? Chicago crushes DC on scale. You have never been to Chicago before. Anyone who has would never ask that question. There is way more vibrancy and urbanity over a wider footprint.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,273,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Very interesting! I wonder how many station's in Chicago across the city have over 20,000 people going through their station's? The more you have, the faster paced your city will be. Any city can have a few area's with that many people going in and out. How many cities have multiple area's with that many people going in and out?
According to the Chicago downtown report that Bajan posted earlier, virtually every single block in the Loop has daily pedestrian counts over 20k, train station or not. The two bridges near the Metra commuter stations record over 40k per day.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

You are killing me with your weak YouTube videos. Watch this.... Sure looks intimidating and overwhelming. See how I cherrypicked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gw6cb_to9c

Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Sure looks intimidating and overwhelming. See how I cherrypicked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gw6cb_to9c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City