Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You are killing me with your weak YouTube videos. Watch this.... Sure looks intimidating and overwhelming. See how I cherrypicked?
This isn't cherrypicked.

One intersection of Michigan Avenue - 32,287
One intersection of 7th Street - 6,140

It doesn't get much clearer than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. Are you being serious here? Chicago crushes DC on scale. You have never been to Chicago before. Anyone who has would never ask that question. There is way more vibrancy and urbanity over a wider footprint.

Chicago runs linear. Right now, yes it does beat DC. Eventually, no it will not. Maybe if I want to hug the coast definetly. How about going west from the lake? When SW and Capital Riverfront is done along with NOMA and Union Market. D.C. will have a way larger footprint.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And how big is the core we are talking about? To say you are fast paced, you have to have people over a very large area. This is not a conversation about intensity in a small area. It's about sustained vibrancy over a wide area across the city. Cities with multiple area's always win that debate. So, how large is Chicago's core? Also, what shape is it? If I go north, south, east, and west, how long till it falls off?
You have exposed yourself as a fraud. You never been to Chicago fraud. DT Chicago and Chicago don't have a direction to the east.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Very interesting! I wonder how many station's in Chicago across the city have over 20,000 people going through their station's? The more you have, the faster paced your city will be. Any city can have a few area's with that many people going in and out. How many cities have multiple area's with that many people going in and out?
RTAMS - Rail Ridership Station Detail

Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
According to the Chicago downtown report that Bajan posted earlier, virtually every single block in the Loop has daily pedestrian counts over 20k, train station or not. The two bridges near the Metra commuter stations record over 40k per day.

And how many of those people are walking down the street? The only way to use pedestrian counts is to actually perform a count without people walking through multiple intersections. That is why train exits is way better. How do you know the person walking in one intersection isn't being counted again when the counts are taken for another intersection another day. Using El data is way better.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Wow!!!!! Not even close!!!!!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Chicago runs linear. Right now, yes it does beat DC. Eventually, no it will not. Maybe if I want to hug the coast definetly. How about going west from the lake? When SW and Capital Riverfront is done along with NOMA and Union Market. D.C. will have a way larger footprint.
He knows what it is! He wasn't able to refute anything I posted, especially my links. Chicago is fast paced but I don't know if it is as fast as DC. The whole Midwest vibe is distorts things. Who knows. Anything that "Hop On" can show you about Chicago, I can easily (in my Jake voice) pull some numbers from DC (which is 4 times smaller). For us to be comparing a city of 2.7 million against a city of 650,000 tells you alot about DC. Pound for pound, DC can hold it's own in a lot of categories.

Transportation
Education
Employment
Cosmopolitanism (I made that up)
Sophistication
Media Capital
World influence
Housing
Diversity

Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Only someone with an inferiority complex would think so. DC holds it's own weight in the grannd scheme of things. We can compare DC and Chicago salaries, housing, employment, education if you like.
You're still going on with this thread? No offense, but I doubt anyone in Chicago would have an inferiority complex about DC. Why would they?

You keep on talking about train ridership and "busy train stations". You have a very vague argument to begin with, then when you are refuted, as has been the case in the thread, you go back to comments about how busy the train stations are. I'm only loosely following this thread but it's pretty apparent through your arguments that you have never set foot in Chicago, or, if you did, you did not venture anywhere in a 3 mile radius from State and Monroe. Otherwise, you would not be making ridiculous claims that somehow DC has more pedestrian activity and is more vibrant/fast paced/whatever.

The reality is quite simple. It isn't.

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Wow!!!!! Not even close!!!!!
For a city of 2.7 million people, those numbers are pathetic. Where is Fritz? LOL

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
And how many of those people are walking down the street? The only way to use pedestrian counts is to actually perform a count without people walking through multiple intersections. That is why train exits is way better. How do you know the person walking in one intersection isn't being counted again when the counts are taken for another intersection another day. Using El data is way better.
That doesn't matter. The point is to see how long pedestrian intensity is sustained. While it's likely someone at 47th and 5th Avenue may be counted by a counter standing at 42nd and 5th Avenue, it's not likely they are going to be counted at 14th Street and 5th Avenue. The idea is just to see how many people cross through at a given intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City