Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs Nashville
Sacramento 54 50.47%
Nashville 53 49.53%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,157 times

Advertisements

These are two cities that I think get left behind fairly often. How do these stack up against each other?
More cosmopolitan?
Brighter future?
Nightlife
Entertainment
Sports
Shopping
Education
Public transportation
Economy
Quality of life
Crime
Overall?

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 11-14-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
These are two cities that I think get left behind fairly often. How do these stack up against each other?
More cosmopolitan?
Brighter future?
Nightlife
Entertainment
Sports
Shopping
Education
Public transportation
Economy
Quality of life
Crime
Overall?
If I had to choose between Nashville and Sacramento, I'd pick Sacramento, for sure.

Even though Sacramento is probably home to more native Californians--and dyed-in-the-wool natives, I might add--than any other major city in California, I find it a more welcoming place for transplants and immigrants alike compared to Nashville and many other small and medium-sized cities in the South. The major cities in California are home to every sort of person you can imagine with Sacramento in particular as the most racially-diverse city in not only California, but in the entire United States, although I think Long Beach and Oakland could give Sac a run for its money in this department. The same can't really be said for Nashville and many other cities in the South, which are far more homogeneous by comparison, especially in the suburban and outlying areas.

I grew up in New England and have lived in various Southern states (Florida, Georgia, Texas), and I never felt as welcomed in the South as I am in California, where I presently live. Many of my family members and old friends from New England report many of the same issues as me, so I know I'm not an outlier in that regard. I do, however, have friends and family who have visited areas of the South and have nothing, but lovely things to say. However, my experience and opinion are not those of a tourist or visitor, but instead of a transplant, which I feel can be quite distinct.

Whenever I'm in the South, I tend to experience a lot of hurtful comments. It's hard to explain because nothing is outright, and everything seems to have a second meaning. And it's not really an issue of being a loud, complaining "Yankee" as Southerners and other Northerners alike often insinuate as the reason for being the recipient of hurtful comments and rude remarks--I don't talk much there without being addressed first, and I certainly don't talk about or even mention my native state of RI or adopted home state of CA unless asked.

Thing is, I am asked a lot about "up there" quite often, usually in the form of baited questions to set me up for some cutting remark or veiled insult. Another frequent occurrence is being asked a question, but then being cut off as I begin to reply. Lots of backhanded compliments and uncomfortable comments in general that are disguised by a polite façade. The term "Yankee" used in a derogatory manner is very, very common, especially in the less mainstream cities and towns. In the Northeast and out West, that term is rarely, if ever, used outside of reference to the baseball team or in a history lecture. I may have lived in the South for a collective total of 15 years, but I have still not gotten used to that term and highly doubt I ever will.

Needless to say, I've been in more uncomfortable and just plain bizarre social situations in the South than in all other regions, combined. It was and still is the most difficult region for me to navigate socially.

Well, if any of that matters, Sacramento has none of those issues, which has a classic live-and-let-live West Coast vibe--very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in Sacramento); open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. No one cares what religion you are, where you're from, or who you sleep with. People in the Sacramento area are far less inclined to have strong religious beliefs and socially conservative attitudes and ideals.

In addition to the sociocultural differences, Sacramento has much better weather (drier, sunnier summers; milder winters; significantly less potential for snow, ice, and other violent meteorological events such as tornadoes and hail storms); much more spectacular destinations within reasonable driving distance; a better funded educational system; more and better higher educational institutions in its general vicinity; less crime; and a more robust, diversified economy. Although Sacramento only has one professional sports team compared to Nashville's two, Sacramento appeals to a broader range of tastes and preferences in terms of things to do and see, IMO. Furthermore, Sacramento is the capital of the 7th or 8th largest economy in the world, so some of the most important, influential global economic decisions are made right in Sacramento, so Sac will always have a brighter future and a lot more going for it overall than any small or medium-sized city in the South like Nashville.

That's my $0.02.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If I had to choose between Nashville and Sacramento, I'd pick Sacramento, for sure.

Even though Sacramento is probably home to more native Californians--and dyed-in-the-wool natives, I might add--than any other major city in California, I find it a more welcoming place for transplants and immigrants compared to Nashville and many other small and medium-sized cities in the South. The major metro cities in California are home to every sort of person you can imagine with Sacramento in particular as the most racially-diverse city in not only California, but in the entire United States, although I think Long Beach and Oakland could give Sac a run for its money in this department. The same can't really be said for Nashville and many other cities in the South, which are far more homogeneous by comparison, especially in the suburban and outlying areas.

I grew up in New England and have lived in various Southern states (Florida, Georgia, Texas), and I never felt as welcomed in the South as I am in California, where I presently live. Many of my family members and old friends from New England report many of the same issues as me, so I know I'm not an outlier in that regard. I do, however, have friends and family who have visited areas of the South and have nothing, but lovely things to say. However, my experience and opinion are not those of a tourist or visitor, but instead of a transplant, which I feel is worth mentioning.

Whenever I'm in the South, I tend to experience a lot of hurtful comments. It's hard to explain because nothing is outright, and everything seems to have a second meaning. And it's not really an issue of being a loud, complaining "Yankee" as Southerners and other Northerners alike often insinuate as the reason for being the recipient of hurtful comments and rude remarks--I don't talk much without being addressed first, and I certainly don't talk about or even mention my native state of RI or adopted home state of CA unless asked.

Thing is, I am asked a lot about "up there" quite often, usually in the form of baited questions to set me up for some cutting remark or veiled insult. Another frequent occurrence is being asked a question, but then being cut off as I begin to reply. Lots of backhanded compliments and uncomfortable comments in general that are disguised by a polite façade. The term "Yankee" used in a derogatory is very, very common, especially in the less mainstream cities and towns. In the Northeast and out West, that term is rarely, if ever, used outside of reference to the baseball team or in a history lecture. I may have lived in the South for a collective total of 15 years, but I have still not gotten used to that term and highly doubt I ever will.

Needless to say, I've been in more uncomfortable and just plain bizarre social situations than in all other regions, combined. It was and still is the most difficult region for me to navigate socially.

Well, if any of that matters, Sacramento has none of those issues, which has a classic live-and-let-live West Coast vibe--very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn in Sacramento); open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. No one cares what religion you are, where you're from, or who you sleep with. People in the Sacramento area are far less inclined to have strong religious beliefs and socially conservative attitudes and ideals.

In addition to the sociocultural differences, Sacramento has much better weather (drier, sunnier summers; milder winters; significantly less potential for snow, ice, and other violent meteorological events such as tornadoes and hail storms); much more spectacular destinations within reasonable driving distance; a better funded educational system; more and better higher educational institutions in its general vicinity; less crime; and a more robust, diversified economy. Although Sacramento only has one professional sports team compared to Nashville's two, Sacramento appeals to a broader range of tastes and preferences in terms of things to do and see, IMO. Furthermore, Sacramento is the capital of the 7th or 8th largest economy in the world, so some of the most important, influential global economic decisions are made right in Sacramento, so Sac will always have a brighter future and a lot more going for it overall than any small or medium-sized city in the South like Nashville.

That's my $0.02.
With all of the positives the south has going for it, I agree with your assessment on the two cities.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM

260 posts, read 299,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Even though Sacramento is probably home to more native Californians--and dyed-in-the-wool natives, I might add--than any other major city in California, I find it a more welcoming place for transplants and immigrants alike compared to Nashville and many other small and medium-sized cities in the South. The major cities in California are home to every sort of person you can imagine with Sacramento in particular as the most racially-diverse city in not only California, but in the entire United States, although I think Long Beach and Oakland could give Sac a run for its money in this department. The same can't really be said for Nashville and many other cities in the South, which are far more homogeneous by comparison, especially in the suburban and outlying areas.

I grew up in New England and have lived in various Southern states (Florida, Georgia, Texas), and I never felt as welcomed in the South as I am in California, where I presently live. Many of my family members and old friends from New England report many of the same issues as me, so I know I'm not an outlier in that regard. I do, however, have friends and family who have visited areas of the South and have nothing, but lovely things to say. However, my experience and opinion are not those of a tourist or visitor, but instead of a transplant, which I feel can be quite distinct.

Whenever I'm in the South, I tend to experience a lot of hurtful comments. It's hard to explain because nothing is outright, and everything seems to have a second meaning. And it's not really an issue of being a loud, complaining "Yankee" as Southerners and other Northerners alike often insinuate as the reason for being the recipient of hurtful comments and rude remarks--I don't talk much there without being addressed first, and I certainly don't talk about or even mention my native state of RI or adopted home state of CA unless asked.

Thing is, I am asked a lot about "up there" quite often, usually in the form of baited questions to set me up for some cutting remark or veiled insult. Another frequent occurrence is being asked a question, but then being cut off as I begin to reply. Lots of backhanded compliments and uncomfortable comments in general that are disguised by a polite façade. The term "Yankee" used in a derogatory manner is very, very common, especially in the less mainstream cities and towns. In the Northeast and out West, that term is rarely, if ever, used outside of reference to the baseball team or in a history lecture. I may have lived in the South for a collective total of 15 years, but I have still not gotten used to that term and highly doubt I ever will.

Needless to say, I've been in more uncomfortable and just plain bizarre social situations in the South than in all other regions, combined. It was and still is the most difficult region for me to navigate socially.

That's my $0.02.
Your .02 cents is going to cause me to quit my job and just pick up and move. Seriously. I'm from New England and Sac-Town gets more and more appealing everyday.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:31 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Sacramento is Washington, DC of the West but with more mellow and somewhat Midwestern feel. As someone noted, it is one of the most racially integrated cities in the nation. Sacramento is a great introduction to California without the high cost of the major coastal metropolis.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento is Washington, DC of the West but with more mellow and somewhat Midwestern feel. As someone noted, it is one of the most racially integrated cities in the nation. Sacramento is a great introduction to California without the high cost of the major coastal metropolis.
How so? The cities seem nothing alike at all except for both being capitol/govt cities.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:22 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How so? The cities seem nothing alike at all except for both being capitol/govt cities.
From a political and governmental standpoint. It is the capital of one of the largest economies in the world. Important federal and state agencies are headquartered or have offices in Sacramento. Some of the most important decisions in the country are decided in Sacramento.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
To me it's a toss up. There are things that appeal to me about both, but places where I think each has an advantage.

Housing, for example, you'll get a lot more for your money in Nashville. Sac prices are much cheaper than the Bay, but not cheap. Median home price in Nashville is about 100k less, and rents will be lower as well. Depending on your field, higher CA salaries may compensate for that gap, but may not.

But for dining, I'd take Sacramento. Not that there aren't good restaurants in Nashville and some cuisinary diversity, but in my experience Nashville skews towards bbq and southern comfort. After three gluttonous days eating out there, I'm more than ready to come back home to the west.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,157 times
I appreciate the input, but can you guys answer by the criteria?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I appreciate the input, but can you guys answer by the criteria?
As someone who attempted to answer your OP strictly based on the criteria, I can tell you its difficult because of SacTown's proximity to so many things.

When you inquire about Sacramento's attributes, the city's most prevalent one is how close it is to great "Entertainment", "Sports", "Shopping", "Economy", "Cosmopolitan" vibe, and other aspects of close-to-the-bay living.

Sacramento is within short driving distance to San Francisco, San Jose, Napa Valley, Reno, Lake Tahoe, and so much else.

I appreciate Nashville for its contributions to Country, Blues, and Jazz music. The barbecue there is also freaking amazing!

Overall, I'd take Sacramento quite easily over Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City