Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or DC: Which city is faster-paced?
Chicago 145 60.92%
DC 93 39.08%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Well, as a tax payer who busts my rump and sends my hard earned money to DC I would like the Washington Monument to be painted with zebra stripes if that's okay with you. Actually, I plan on making a trip out there with my daughter (this is where tourism kicks in). Now if I didn't like DC I would not have gone many times to visit it personally. Yes, all cities have evolved from something.
It was my fault to assume you hated DC. I just wish people understood that DC is not just government, there are natives and there is a culture. Every city wouldn't be nothing without an important aspect that makes them what they are today not only DC. People also live here not only work here too. I would suggest taking your daughter to the spy muesem my niece loves it. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
San Francesco's prime theme function is technology. Silicon Valley is San Francisco's largest employer and there are no delusions about that

Like I said you can't specifically pick on DC for that because it's the same case for other major U.S. cities.
I think the point is that DC was specifically created to be the national seat of government and is unique in that aspect; this is the only reason it exists. That said, I still dig the city.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
It was my fault to assume you hated DC. I just wish people understood that DC is not just government, there are natives and there is a culture. Every city wouldn't be nothing without an important aspect that makes them what they are today not only DC. People also live here not only work here too. I would suggest taking your daughter to the spy muesem my niece loves it. Have fun!
DC really made a positive impression on me when I first visited on a school trip at the age of 13. I met a senator, saw Ronald Reagan in person, been inside the white house, toured all the monuments, rode the metro, museums etc. (too many places to list but you get the idea). After visiting the first time I began to realize how fortunate I am to be living in the world's greatest country. This was years ago of course I been many times after that first visit. You're right there's more to the city than just government. My daughter is only 9 so this will be an educational experience for her like I had when I first went there.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:56 AM

314 posts, read 422,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Behold, Times Square South.

WTOP Does the 'Barnes Dance Crossing' - YouTube

Warning: Make sure to strap yourselves into your seats. You may be blown away by the pace.

Ok, this got a laugh out of me.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 AM

314 posts, read 422,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Wow. Just, wow. Sometimes I think some posters can get any more naively ignorant and then...

He would have a valid point, if Chicago actually produced "cheese and corn". It's as ridiculous as calling NYC the "trailer park crowd"; see because... . The uninformed opinion of a low info City Data poster doesn't make or break the 3rd largest and richest city with one of the biggest stock exchanges in the country.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
This thread is pointless unless we can define fast-paced. I really don't think percentage of mass transit usage or workload of the cities professional class have anything to do with a city's "pace". I currently reside in Pittsburgh, and the majority of the people I know are academic physicians, who work every bit as long and hard as finance types or congressional staffers, yet no one would ever say that Pittsburgh is a fast city because medicine is such a big part of its economy.

As a native New Yorker who is lived in a lot of different cities, including DC and Chicago, I've had people tell me they didn't like New York because it was too fast for them, yet none of them could define it beyond feeling overwhelmed on the streets. If that's your definition, then Chicago is most certainly a faster city.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
Chicago easy.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
Ok, this got a laugh out of me.
Lol Bajan kills me with the sarcastic cherry picking haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDfz...ature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/6_BRHGoPSkk

http://youtu.be/PjHKWzD4Sow

Either way this argument is moot, Chicago is like 6 times larger in the proper and certainly shouldn't even be in this conversation. The fact that it is says something about DC more than anything.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-26-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
It says people are biased towards the east coast/dc or uninformed.

I've worked in both.

I don't even think DC beats LA in pace as a city/metro.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM

574 posts, read 688,634 times
This is why it will feel weird when the DC CSA passes Chicago. Chicago will still feel much larger and busier than DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City