Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

The Jets used to play at Shea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:01 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Sticking to city limits is a bit much, but I'd be okay with focusing on MSA. For example: The Pistons, Giants, Jets and (football) Cardinals play outside of their market's major city, but they're still in the MSA, whereas the Patriots and 49ers play outside the MSA.
Several posters have had similar concerns about just looking at city limits, but if you look at my original post from 2014, the reason I created a list by city limits was I was curious and couldn't find one online. If you want to look by MSA or state, those are easy to find.

The whole reason this came up was in general, I prefer going to games in cities and have found most suburban stadiums that I have been to just places you drive to, park in a giant parking lot, then leave after the game after being stuck an hour or so waiting to get out of the lot. Probably my favorite football stadium I've been to is the Superdome, one I couldn't stand was the Dolphin's Stadium. Football stadiums probably aren't the best example, as because of size and limited utilization they don't always make sense to put downtown. Still 16 of the 32 teams play downtown or more often, downtown adjacent.

Being in a city doesn't always mean it's in a awesome location. Dodger Stadium in LA is accessible only by car and bus, and getting in and especially out is a pain. But at least it's in the middle of the metro, so if you are coming from Palos Verdes or Santa Clarita or Thousand Oaks or Yorba Linda, you don't have to drive all the way to the other side of the metro to go to a game. That's the problem when you put a stadium in the suburbs (with the exception of DFW), you make people who live on the other side of the metro cross the whole metro to get there, and especially in cities with a spoke and hub freeway system that is not designed fot moving people between suburbs; it is a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City