Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM

254 posts, read 464,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just because you have the largest museum district doesn't really mean you have quality. Chicago and D.C. both have better, more high quality world class museums along with L.A.

I don't understand the basis for your comment. Is this your opinion or have you confirmed that more widely known artists' (von Gogh, Warhol, Monet, etc) original pieces are in galleries in Chicago and DC?

Also, keep in mind the statistic is not about museums, it is about theater. In terms of quality and quantity, it is my opinion that Houston has a more diverse and more robust theater scene than DC.

Note my choice of words.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
I think it's funny when people mention symphony/opera and place DC over Houston. Let's look at an interesting statistic:

"Downtown Houston also boasts the second largest theater district in the United States..."
Houston travel guide - Wikitravel

Know what #1 is? New York City. Interesting...
Let's talk about The rodeo in DC. How about the Renaissance Festival? I've yet to see an art car in DC (I lived in Philly for 8 years. Got down to DC quite a bit).
Museums? The big ones are free in DC, right? Would you say that being free means being better? Compare any free DC museum to the Guggenheim or the MOMA in NYC.
But here are some free ones in Houston for your pleasure: Free Admission Times - museumdistrict Houston, Texas USA Houston Museum District Association
Houston has an amazing museum district! Not to mention the small museums located throughout the urban core. They usually have free viewings when a new exhibit opens. There is always wine and cheese. There is always diversity. There is always culture.

Is it all perfect? By no means! But please don't discount the culture and diversity of Houston. You will embarrass yourself once you run into real facts.
When someone needs to compare a city to NYC, when NYC has nothing to do with the thread. That screams desperate.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:50 PM

254 posts, read 464,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
When someone needs to compare a city to NYC, when NYC has nothing to do with the thread. That screams desperate.
You missed the entirety and spirit of the post...

Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,026 times
Thanks everyone for the info and your opinions! I appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2014, 02:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just because you have the largest museum district doesn't really mean you have quality. Chicago and D.C. both have better, more high quality world class museums along with L.A.
I love how you just make these kind of blanket statements ("this city is better", "this city has higher quality blah-blah"), yet you never back it up with reasons or facts to support your claims.

What is it, exactly, that makes DC museums so much "better"? I mean, I know damn well that DC has some great museums, but what makes them SOOO much better?

Also, still waiting for you to define "culture", as per your earlier snark about Houston being some kind of culural joke.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I love how you just make these kind of blanket statements ("this city is better", "this city has higher quality blah-blah"), yet you never back it up with reasons or facts to support your claims.

What is it, exactly, that makes DC museums so much "better"? I mean, I know damn well that DC has some great museums, but what makes them SOOO much better?

Also, still waiting for you to define "culture", as per your earlier snark about Houston being some kind of culural joke.
Look at the muesuem thread. DC has world class muesems and is in the same tier as NYC although some say DC is better because it's free. DC gets most of its tourist because of its muesems. Also has some of the most visited muesems in the world

Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM

32,092 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
DC gets most of its tourist because of its muesems.
DC gets most of its tourists because it's the nation's capital. My guess would be that Washington, DC is by far the most popular city for school trips, class trips, Boy Scout trips, etc. You will see 8th Graders from Oregon in DC on any random summer weekday.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC gets most of its tourists because it's the nation's capital. My guess would be that Washington, DC is by far the most popular city for school trips, class trips, Boy Scout trips, etc. You will see 8th Graders from Oregon in DC on any random summer weekday.
And........

Just waiting for you to say thats what makes DC suck so much or something of that sort...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And where are they going? Oh right.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Look at the muesuem thread. DC has world class muesems and is in the same tier as NYC although some say DC is better because it's free. DC gets most of its tourist because of its muesems. Also has some of the most visited muesems in the world
My point wasn't to belittle DC's importance, the way another poster was trying to simply belittle Houston's. That would be absurd. I'm well aware of the caliber of DC's museums and the number of tourists who frequently visit them (it is the nation's capitol after all). I'm simply pointing out that the margin between the two cities really isn't very wide, though they are two different animals. Houston is a heavy-hitter in both the arts and for it's museums. DC may or may not have the edge on overall quality, but it's not some "night and day" difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City