Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The least natural major city?
New York 37 37.00%
Los Angeles 5 5.00%
Chicago 5 5.00%
Houston 4 4.00%
Philadelphia 7 7.00%
Phoenix 6 6.00%
Boston 1 1.00%
Washington 0 0%
Miami 2 2.00%
Atlanta 4 4.00%
San Francisco 1 1.00%
Detroit 5 5.00%
Seattle 1 1.00%
Minneapolis 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
St. Louis 0 0%
Baltimore 2 2.00%
Denver 1 1.00%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.00%
Portland 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
Dallas 15 15.00%
New Orleans 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Which is still nature.
Forest cover is more natural than farmland however.

The Farms are all man made, before it was all prairies.

The Northeast... mostly New England is pretty much all very dense forest cover.

The suburbs of Boston feel more outdoorsy and natural than the suburbs of Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Which is still nature.
No it is not. How is agriculture "nature"? Rows of corn do not grow that way on their own.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree Chicago and burbs do very well maintaining and providing forest preserves, but as a whole, there just isnt much nature to escape to. I now live in Phoenix, and there are so many areas to get away to, so many parks to hike, etc. Theyre also exceptionally maintained and cared for, which I love. Here I can drive 10 minutes from home, hike 15 minutes, and be surrounded by pristine desert preserves, with dozens upon dozens of miles of hiking trails, and not see a single home or power line. While I loved hiking the forest preserves back in IL, they just cant compare to what I have here.
Agreed. Illinois is a very rural state, and one can get to RURAL area a lot more quickly from downtown Chicago than one might think. But like I said in the previous post, rows of corn is not nature.

I do think however, that eastern cities (Chicago included) do have suburbs that have woods in the middle of suburban neighborhoods. The actual built up parts of western cities by and large are not likely to have deer right in town (one is more likely to see deer in the middle of a DuPage County suburb than they are in a Orange County suburb), but apart from that, anyone who knows how to drive and read a map, is going to have unlimited outdoor adventures in a western city not available in an eastern city.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Maybe because that's a nonsensical point? Most nature in the U.S. is "manipulated".

Even in our national forests and national parks, most of what you see is due to human intervention. Even outposts like Northern Maine and Michigan's Upper Peninsula and huge chunks of Alaska were essentially clear-cut in the 19th century, so what you see now are basically 20th century "tree farms".
Maybe in some areas yes, but for the most part those forests grew back on their own. Even when an area is clear cut, all the understory is still there to take over.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I wouldnt have included Vegas anyways... its surrounded by wide open desert, easily accessible to all. Lots of parks outside of town to hike and explore.

If Chicago didnt have the lakefront, I would rank Chicago real high. Its a concrete jungle for dozens and dozens of miles. Luckily for suburbanites, there were lots of "forest preserves" all over the place, which were saved from development, which had hiking, biking, fishing, etc, for people. But overall, Chicagoland in general is just way overdeveloped, not much in the way of nature whatsoever.
I find Chicagoland devoid of nature, less because of Chicagoland itself but because of what is OUTSIDE Chicago. Illinois is 90% covered in corn and soybeans.

LA metro area has nearly twice the population of Chicago metro area, and you have way more access to pristine wilderness because all the areas NOT urban are mountains, deserts, rugged coast, federal/state land, etc. and not agriculture.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
rows of corn is not nature.
Why?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Why?
Its a controlled environment. I mean, yeah its closer to nature than asphalt and concrete, but its not much more natural than a suburban lawn without the houses.

I suppose if that cornfield is abandoned and natural succession takes over then it becomes nature again and slowly turns back into natural prairie or whatever, but during active production, no its not nature.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Its a controlled environment.
Controlled environments don't exist in nature? Seems to me that even our small friends, the ants, control their surroundings.
Quote:
I mean, yeah its closer to nature than asphalt and concrete, but its not much more natural than a suburban lawn without the houses.
Asphalt and concrete are both made(by nature) of natural materials, so I don't know what you are getting at.

Quote:
I suppose if that cornfield is abandoned and natural succession takes over then it becomes nature again and slowly turns back into natural prairie or whatever, but during active production, no its not nature.
So if a cornfield made by nature is abandoned, by nature, it then becomes nature?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Controlled environments don't exist in nature? Seems to me that even our small friends, the ants, control their surroundings. Asphalt and concrete are both made(by nature) of natural materials, so I don't know what you are getting at.

So if a cornfield made by nature is abandoned, by nature, it then becomes nature?
Well if thats the case, then everything and everywhere is nature. Which would make this whole debate a moot point. Is that what you are getting at?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Well if thats the case, then everything and everywhere is nature. Which would make this whole debate a moot point. Is that what you are getting at?
You are smarter than the natural bear. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City