Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The least natural major city?
New York 37 37.00%
Los Angeles 5 5.00%
Chicago 5 5.00%
Houston 4 4.00%
Philadelphia 7 7.00%
Phoenix 6 6.00%
Boston 1 1.00%
Washington 0 0%
Miami 2 2.00%
Atlanta 4 4.00%
San Francisco 1 1.00%
Detroit 5 5.00%
Seattle 1 1.00%
Minneapolis 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
St. Louis 0 0%
Baltimore 2 2.00%
Denver 1 1.00%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.00%
Portland 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
Dallas 15 15.00%
New Orleans 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Forest cover is more natural than farmland however.

The Farms are all man made, before it was all prairies.

The Northeast... mostly New England is pretty much all very dense forest cover.

The suburbs of Boston feel more outdoorsy and natural than the suburbs of Kansas City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
No it is not. How is agriculture "nature"? Rows of corn do not grow that way on their own.
Agriculture is arranged and aided by man. It is not "man made" = artificial. The definition of nature is "the physical world and everything in it that is not made by people". Farmers do not make corn. They plant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM

465 posts, read 658,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Agriculture is arranged and aided by man. It is not "man made" = artificial. The definition of nature is "the physical world and everything in it that is not made by people". Farmers do not make corn. They plant it.
The rows of corn are made by people, the irrigation system that waters the farm is made by people, the corn is genetically modified to resist bugs and disease by people. The pesticides that kill bugs are made by people. Farms are hardly natural.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
The rows of corn are made by people, the irrigation system that waters the farm is made by people, the corn is genetically modified to resist bugs and disease by people. The pesticides that kill bugs are made by people. Farms are hardly natural.
Riiight, because there's no such thing as organic farming.[sarcasm]

I already stated that agriculture is aided by humans (to different degrees). But aiding or even manipulating is still not the same as making.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Ok... but a forest is more natural than a farm.

Humans didn't plant these trees, they are natural.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ok... but a forest is more natural than a farm.

Humans didn't plant these trees, they are natural.
As pointed out earlier in the thread, you'd be surprised how many urban forests you see that are actually tree farms. You'd have to be naive to think that a majority of the woodlands in New England have never been manipulated by man. If not by white men, then by the natives.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 AM

465 posts, read 658,547 times
Quote:
Riiight, because there's no such thing as organic farming.[sarcasm]

I already stated that agriculture is aided by humans (to different degrees). But aiding or even manipulating is still not the same as making.
Riiight, because 100% of the farms surrounding Omaha are 100% "organic". I'm not saying that farm products are artificial, I am saying that they aren't natural. Something can be unnatural (natural, adj. existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind) without being artificial. Parks and farms would be in this category.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
Riiight, because 100% of the farms surrounding Omaha are 100% "organic". I'm not saying that farm products are artificial, I am saying that they aren't natural. Something can be unnatural (natural, adj. existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind) without being artificial. Parks and farms would be in this category.
We'll have to agree to disagree. At this point it's only splitting hairs anyway.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
As pointed out earlier in the thread, you'd be surprised how many urban forests you see that are actually tree farms. You'd have to be naive to think that a majority of the woodlands in New England have never been manipulated by man. If not by white men, then by the natives.
Actually if one knows just a little bit about the basic local flora and basic dynamics of ecology, its actually quite easy to figure out which forests natural and which ones are not. A "tree farm" is usually monoculture (one species) and generally grown in straight rows.

Yes, even our wild landscapes have absolutely been influenced by man, yet its more of a one time dea (logging, etc.) then the process of natural biological sucession takes over.

Like I said before, if the farm field is abandoned and no longer in active production THEN it returns to nature.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
I find Chicagoland devoid of nature, less because of Chicagoland itself but because of what is OUTSIDE Chicago. Illinois is 90% covered in corn and soybeans.

LA metro area has nearly twice the population of Chicago metro area, and you have way more access to pristine wilderness because all the areas NOT urban are mountains, deserts, rugged coast, federal/state land, etc. and not agriculture.
Great points here, and I agree. But there are some really nice areas outside of Chicagoland that arent farmland. Starved Rock, Matthiessen, Garden of the Gods, cypress swamps, prairie preserves, Mississippi Palisades, etc, etc, can be found right in the heart of the cornfields, which I loved.

LA is lucky to have the mountain ranges nearby, which allow for great hiking, biking, etc. Chicago just doesnt have that. Wish it did!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Actually if one knows just a little bit about the basic local flora and basic dynamics of ecology, its actually quite easy to figure out which forests natural and which ones are not. A "tree farm" is usually monoculture (one species) and generally grown in straight rows.
Fair enough. I guess tree farm wasn't the appropriate term, since I was referring to any general landscape of planted forestation.

Quote:
Yes, even our wild landscapes have absolutely been influenced by man, yet its more of a one time dea (logging, etc.) then the process of natural biological sucession takes over.

Like I said before, if the farm field is abandoned and no longer in active production THEN it returns to nature.
That's arguable, but, again, I'm choosing to just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City