U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:14 AM

1,909 posts, read 4,104,397 times

Advertisements

Coming from a smaller southern metro like Macon, nightlife is very limited for my age range.

We have more than enough clubs that draw the younger "hood" crowd. I cant do that, at all.
We have clubs that are more "Urban Pop" that plays pop music from all genres, and attracts large crowds from all demographics. These are cool, but they usually draw a younger crowd as well.
The problem I've noticed here (and some other small southern metros) is that once you reach your late 20s, options become limited for AAs unless you're a "stereotype."
The clubs that DO happen to draw crowds from the 25 and up AA demographic are basically just ghetto, "hood" clubs or either they are spots where the crowd is just too old.
It's seriously lacking for someone who's maybe 25-45 who wants to put on a button down, grab some drinks, and vibe out to some Neo Soul, Jazz, Alternative Hip Hop (like Talib Kweli, Common, etc) and talk to some like minded females. I hate to say this, but far too many women within my age range running around these smaller deep south metros are just a bunch of wanna be "Trina" and "Khia" type of women. I can't deal with it.

What cities offer a nice variety of that type of nightlife?

All cities named and examples of their options are welcome, but it would be particularly nice to hear of some small and mid sized cities that do a good job catering to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 AM

58,714 posts, read 83,319,857 times
We have these spots: Sophistications by Mahogani Hills - Home

https://m.facebook.com/ChaysesLounge...le.com%2F&_rdr

You may like something like this one too: JAZZ@SITRUS | CNY Jazz

You have a place like this in a nearby city: The Colored Musicians Club Of Buffalo, New York - Historic Jazz Club (est. 1917-1918)

Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM

9,888 posts, read 11,638,704 times
Here are some in D.C.:

Blues Alley - The nation's finest jazz and supper club
Bohemian Caverns
Marvin DC
HR-57 Center for the Preservation of Jazz & Blues

Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 AM

6,832 posts, read 7,095,039 times
Probably only the big cities: NYC, D.C, Atlanta, Philly, Houston, Dallas with Atlanta and D.C. being the forerunners.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:35 AM

28,767 posts, read 26,891,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Coming from a smaller southern metro like Macon, nightlife is very limited for my age range.

We have more than enough clubs that draw the younger "hood" crowd. I cant do that, at all.
We have clubs that are more "Urban Pop" that plays pop music from all genres, and attracts large crowds from all demographics. These are cool, but they usually draw a younger crowd as well.
The problem I've noticed here (and some other small southern metros) is that once you reach your late 20s, options become limited for AAs unless you're a "stereotype."
The clubs that DO happen to draw crowds from the 25 and up AA demographic are basically just ghetto, "hood" clubs or either they are spots where the crowd is just too old.
It's seriously lacking for someone who's maybe 25-45 who wants to put on a button down, grab some drinks, and vibe out to some Neo Soul, Jazz, Alternative Hip Hop (like Talib Kweli, Common, etc) and talk to some like minded females. I hate to say this, but far too many women within my age range running around these smaller deep south metros are just a bunch of wanna be "Trina" and "Khia" type of women. I can't deal with it.

All cities named and examples of their options are welcome, but it would be particularly nice to hear of some small and mid sized cities that do a good job catering to this.
That's asking for a bit much of nearly all American cities.

I second Marvin in Washington, DC. This is one of the few places where the crowd will range from 27 to 35 and the DJ will have a hip hop/afrobeat/soul mix going. And I don't mean silly old school hip hop like Del Tha Funky Homosapien. He'll toss it back to Lord Finesse and Black Moon mixed in with some Fela and Stephanie Mills. Very eclectic and soulful.

The Soul Controllers: The Main Ingredient at Marvin with DJ Jahsonic

The only issue is that it's only Monday nights. But that's better than no nights, I suppose.

NYC won't have one place where it's all one thing. There used to be Tillman's but that's gone. There are a lot of restaurants and art galleries that become venues for parties and the mood will ultimately depend on the DJ. If he opens up with the Bobby Schmurda/French Montana remix, then that's what you're going to get for that night. The good thing is that these parties are happening all of the time in NYC so your chances of finding what you want are better.

Habana Outpost is not "nightlife," but it sort of stays in that artsy, alternative lane. It's not so much dancing as it is chilling and eating corn on the cobb while sipping on watered down margaritas. Still a great vibe though. If you like Black Hipster chicks with natural hair, boots, and flannel shirts tied around their waists, it's a good place to be. It's probably the best place in the world to be if you're into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOop8WUzz-s

Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,856,753 times
What about New Orleans? Very strong Jazz culture and scene

Old 11-26-2014, 11:52 AM

28,767 posts, read 26,891,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
What about New Orleans? Very strong Jazz culture and scene
Too many ratchets. In any city with a large Black population, you will have to put in some work to get away from them. But that's only half the battle. The other half is getting to your crowd. That can be a real challenge. This is not something White people have to worry about because any bar they walk into is filled with people exactly like them (in the big cities, that is).

Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM

30,686 posts, read 28,432,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post

Head up I-75 a couple miles is the first and obvious answer.

As far as small and midsized metros go, that's kinda tough.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,856,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Too many ratchets. In any city with a large Black population, you will have to put in some work to get away from them. But that's only half the battle. The other half is getting to your crowd. That can be a real challenge. This is not something White people have to worry about because any bar they walk into is filled with people exactly like them (in the big cities, that is).
Bahahaha the second funniest comment I've seen on CD.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,482,887 times
In theory, Chicago & Detroit should be in this list but the sad reality is that the urban scene is probably too ratchet for what you're looking for. Ironically, some of the greatest pioneers in those types of music scenes hailed from these particular cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Probably only the big cities: NYC, D.C, Atlanta, Philly, Houston, Dallas with Atlanta and D.C. being the forerunners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or