Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US/Canadian city with the best rapid transit system?
Boston 12 5.43%
Chicago 17 7.69%
Los Angeles 3 1.36%
Montreal 15 6.79%
New York 121 54.75%
Philadelphia 12 5.43%
San Francisco 9 4.07%
Washington, D.C. 21 9.50%
Other 11 4.98%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I'm surprised not much about DC and SF rapid transit ? NYC's system is just so vast and all subways in Manhattan....sure it wins hands down. But when I saw references as usual to diminish CHICAGO on something in just another expected decline? When the city is NOT in decline.....I had to note Chicago's "el" is increasing in ridership especially the Northside. As a yearly visitor. I find it clean, never saw a dirty train, and stations too. I find the Car size fine...unless you want more standing room? I for one prefer Chicago chose NOT TO USE STRAPS OVERHEAD TO HANG ON TO LIKE OTHER CITIES. It's a solid hand rail.
I used the orange line from Midway to downtown this year and red line to areas north of downtown this year and th blue line O'Hare to downtown other years. All I found adequate and actually it seemed well maintained to me including the tracks. Full of young people in the evening going out to clubs on the red line in the evening.
I don't know if they will get another 100 years out of it? But surely a few decades life perhaps? LOL
Until we as a nation place mass transit on top of the list to build and rebuild in our cities? Few new rail lines for mass transit will get built. So cities fortunate to have even a over a hundred year old line? Will hold on to what they have.
The news cars have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 PM

676 posts, read 960,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Never had been on a North American subway before? And you live on the east coast? Where do you live?!
I'm originally from the Midwest...vast bus system but no subway. We visited Chicago often growing up, but we always drove around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do they follow a schedule when the frequency is low? I don't mind low frequencies as much if you know when the train is going to arrive and you can time when to arrive at the station.
Well there is a schedule, sure...but that's the thing, it's not well-followed - there are always delays and service interruptions!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
I'm surprised not much about DC and SF rapid transit ? NYC's system is just so vast and all subways in Manhattan....sure it wins hands down. But when I saw references as usual to diminish CHICAGO on something in just another expected decline? When the city is NOT in decline.....I had to note Chicago's "el" is increasing in ridership especially the Northside. As a yearly visitor. I find it clean, never saw a dirty train, and stations too. I find the Car size fine...unless you want more standing room? I for one prefer Chicago chose NOT TO USE STRAPS OVERHEAD TO HANG ON TO LIKE OTHER CITIES. It's a solid hand rail.
I used the orange line from Midway to downtown this year and red line to areas north of downtown this year and th blue line O'Hare to downtown other years. All I found adequate and actually it seemed well maintained to me including the tracks. Full of young people in the evening going out to clubs on the red line in the evening.
I don't know if they will get another 100 years out of it? But surely a few decades life perhaps? LOL
Until we as a nation place mass transit on top of the list to build and rebuild in our cities? Few new rail lines for mass transit will get built. So cities fortunate to have even a over a hundred year old line? Will hold on to what they have.
What do you dislike about the straps?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
My biggest beef with the straps in Chicago is that they are right above the edge of the seats. Whenever I stand up I always hit my head on them. I know it's stupid, and I like having them when I'm standing, but I always forget about them when I'm sitting.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
...... SF is not in the same league with DC when it comes to rapid transit. Funny how you said you're not surprised about DC yet you are praising Chicago's el. When the METRO is arguably the second best heavy rail transit in the U.S. behind NYC's.

Both systems are great no need to lower the other but to put the METRO in the same league with BART? Really?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
...... SF is not in the same league with DC when it comes to rapid transit. Funny how you said you're not surprised about DC yet you are praising Chicago's el. When the METRO is arguably the second best heavy rail transit in the U.S. behind NYC's.

Both systems are great no need to lower the other but to put the METRO in the same league with BART? Really?
I merely meant ....ANY COMMENT? After all..... there are only a hand full of US big cities with rapid transit....I did read them get positives ...better then CHICAGO'S in other threads. I merely gave Chicago's my opinion. Hardly any on the others especially SF and DC? They got more votes then Chicago.

Last edited by steeps; 12-13-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I don't live in a big city any more. Did in Chicago in my past and vist yearly... like in this past July. I generally see improvements and to me.... good upkeep of the "el". When you are not use to riding them moving? Its harder to keep balance. Especially with a strap. So I prefer something more solid to grip on too even on the buses there, that tend to have you lot of times standing to ride. Especially downtown and I'm falling back forth as it starts and stops... as also on the "el" LOL

Old 12-13-2014, 12:02 PM

676 posts, read 960,479 times
Quote:
I don't live in a big city any more. Did in Chicago in my past and vist yearly... like in this past July. I generally see improvements and to me.... good upkeep of the "el". When you are not use to riding them moving? Its harder to keep balance. Especially with a strap. So I prefer something more solid to grip on too even on the buses there, that tend to have you lot of times standing to ride. Especially downtown and I'm falling back forth as it starts and stops... as also on the "el" LOL
I agree, I hate straps. Definitely not as easy to keep yourself in place as a solid handhold.

I was recently at the New York Transit Museum (HIGHLY recommended to everyone on this thread), and I was checking out an old subway car...from like 1940 or 1930 or something...and they had these metal "straps." They looked like straps and were attached as such, but they moved very little (only vertically, not horizontally). Much better!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
What I like about the straps are the functionality. Being able to slide the strap over for you to for something to hold (if you are standing and are not in reach of something) I find very useful.
I don't like one over the other though (metal or strap). They are both "whatever" to me.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
...... SF is not in the same league with DC when it comes to rapid transit.
LOL! It most certainly is. Between BART, Muni, CalTrain and VTA there is WAY more rail transit in the Bay Area than the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City