Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US/Canadian city with the best rapid transit system?
Boston 12 5.43%
Chicago 17 7.69%
Los Angeles 3 1.36%
Montreal 15 6.79%
New York 121 54.75%
Philadelphia 12 5.43%
San Francisco 9 4.07%
Washington, D.C. 21 9.50%
Other 11 4.98%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:26 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No this is not about commuter rail but since it was mentioned Toronto's commuter rail has quite a bit more ridership than Philly.. As for Subway's - Is this really even a debate between Subways re Toronto and Philly - Toronto squashes it!
^Agreed. I believe 'NOLA' mentioned commuter rail pages ago. Toronto definitely has a better rapid transit system vs. Philly.

As far MTL, CHI and DC goes, its debatable. You can definitely make arguments for Toronto.

Quote:
I don't know if I really buy this.... Chicago and Toronto have pretty much the same sized city propers... 2.8 million each...both remarkably similar sized over equivalent urban areas in terms of population - So again, why is it that Toronto has far more ridership all levels than Chicago.. NYC is in the U.S and its BY FAR the best system in Canamerica so.. Anwyay, there must be something going on there lol.. Chicago's is 2X more extensive yet with 25-30 percent less ridership..

User friendly system well i'll give it to ya but this doesn't translate negatively for Toronto since its system is still the 3rd most used in Canada/U.S so....What's Chicago's excuse for such poor ridership lol..imagine if TO's was as extensive - its ridership would be phenominal!
That's a good point. Chicago's is more extensive and even reaches O'Hare (one of the worlds busiest airports), yet it's still less utilized than Toronto's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does Toronto even offer 24 hour service or even have express tracks because Philly offers all of that.
So why is the ridership so poor? They probably run it 24 hours because it makes no difference anyway - not alot of people are using it at any given time.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^Agreed. I believe 'NOLA' mentioned commuter rail pages ago. Toronto definitely has a better rapid transit system vs. Philly.

As far MTL, CHI and DC goes, its debatable. You can definitely make arguments for Toronto.

That's a good point. Chicago's is more extensive and even reaches O'Hare (one of the worlds busiest airports), yet it's still less utilized than Toronto's.
Hey i'm the first one to criticize T.O for not expanding its subway coverage post 60's.. If it did we wouldn't even be having a debate about which city has the 2nd best Rapid transity system in Canamerica - It would be Toronto.. Having said that, you can't ignore ridership numbers lol... As in the number of people who ACTUALLY use the system.. I think that is important. I'd personally rank Montreal second in Canamerica for this fact alone so its hard to ignore the 3rd most used rapid transit system in any debate.. The good thing about the TTC as you've eluded to - its there when you need it at the RIGHT time! The problem of course is there simply isn't enough of it!

As for O'hare - this is true it is one of the world's largest by pax volume but it is also a HEAVY connections airport so alot of people utilizing the airport are just connecting on a flight to somewhere else and not touching the transit system. The U.S takes the concept of hub and spoke to the max!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-06-2014 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
So why is the ridership so poor?
Philly offers commuter rail service in the areas not served by the subway system.

Toronto's subway system is a little more extensive. Also Toronto is a larger city than Philadelphia, so it's not surprising that the ridership numbers would be higher.

Toronto subway system
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...p-2007.svg.png

Philly subway system
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...phiasubway.png

Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Philly offers commuter rail service in the areas not served by rail.

Toronto's subway system is a little more extensive. Also Toronto is a larger city than Philadelphia, so it's not surprising that the ridership numbers would be higher.

Toronto subway system
UrbanRail.Net > North America > Canada > Ontario > Toronto Subway (Metro)

Philly subway system
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...phiasubway.png
I can buy that Toronto is larger than Philly to an extent but we are talking just subways though and I would imagine Philly's subway runs in the most urban part of it where 1.6 million people live.. In this vein, Philly is nothing to snicker at in terms of urbanity and population density - no its not Toronto but its ridership is less than a 3rd of T.O's .. T.O is not 3X larger a city proper than Philly.. 2.8 m vs 1.6 m

Old 12-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I can buy that Toronto is larger than Philly to an extent but we are talking just subways though and I would imagine Philly's subway runs in the most urban part of it where 1.6 million people live.. In this vein, Philly is nothing to snicker at in terms of urbanity and population density - no its not Toronto but its ridership is less than a 3rd of T.O's .. T.O is not 3X larger a city proper than Philly.. 2.8 m vs 1.6 m
I'm just happy that Philly has a subway system, which is something a lot of cities in North America are lacking.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
Does Toronto even offer 24 hour service or even have express tracks because Philly offers all of that.
24 hour service is not necessary in Toronto. At 3 am, there isnt that many people awake for the subway to be in service for 24 hours. Other means of transportation like streetcars and buses do the job just fine. I'm sure if there was demand for 24 hour service, it would be in operation as we speak.
Express tracks would be nice for Toronto, but then again, when the TTC has headways of 2 minutes during rush hour and 5 minutes outside of rush hour its already pretty good (compared to SEPTA where at times the headways are 10-15 minutes for a train).

I do know that I'd rather ride this:

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2010/10...t4-leadint.jpg

than this:

https://phillymotu.files.wordpress.c...ayinterior.jpg

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm just happy that Philly has a subway system, which is something a lot of cities in North America are lacking.
Hey and to be honest it is a good thing..Philly is still one of the most urban/interesting/historical cities of character in the U.S by far... Its in the U.S N.E after all - the very best part of the country lol... This is a vs forum though

Old 12-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
24 hour service is not necessary in Toronto. At 3 am, there isnt that many people awake for the subway to be in service for 24 hours. Other means of transportation like streetcars and buses do the job just fine. I'm sure if there was demand for 24 hour service, it would be in operation as we speak.
Express tracks would be nice for Toronto, but then again, when the TTC has headways of 2 minutes during rush hour and 5 minutes outside of rush hour its already pretty good (compared to SEPTA where at times the headways are 10-15 minutes for a train).

than this:

Not trying to get into a debate about which city has the cleaner and more polish looking subway system because cities like Philly and New York will lose just about every time.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:

than this:

Toronto's subways are MASSIVE...Its like they were built to move a crapload of people.. When I was in Chicago I remember thinking about how puny and rickety the subways were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City