Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why is this still open? DC is a cesspool of idiocy and depravity.
we know you hate DC so this is not a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 01:34 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
The twin cities for me. After moving here from Chicago for school a few years ago, I was completely wowed, as it was a lot better than I expected. Its pretty unique how both downtowns are within 10 minutes of each other and I like how amenities are accessible in both cities. St Paul has the hockey, the zoo, the capitol, museums etc. Minneapolis has the other pro sports, night life, and theater. Both cities are safe and make great use of their park land, lakes, and the Mississippi River. Although they're both predominantly white, they're less segregated than most big cities. I literally have whites, blacks, Hmong, Mexicans, and Somalians all living in my neighborhood. As a minority, I have never felt more welcome than I do here. Also, they really value education here and it is a great place to raise your children, especially with the open enrollment. Admittedly, DC is a monster like NYC, LA, CHI, & SF but I'd prefer the twin cities for the great QOL and moderate COL. As a side note, the winters are harsh but manageable.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
..... This is not true. Go to downtown DC where Verizon center, retaurants, and city center are all walking distance from eachother....

Have you been to DC before? It's urbanity is on another level than Minneapolis.
Have you been to Minneapolis before? I will take their MUCH more big city Downtown over D.C., all day, every day. People still shop in Downtown Minnie.

And do you have reading comprehension issues? What part of "without ever going outside" did you miss?

Due to Winter temps, Minneapolis was innovative enough to connect most of Downtown to a 2nd floor skyway system. It's an entirely other layer of the city, and only Calgary has something similar in our part of the world above ground. Montreal, Toronto and Houston have impressive underground systems.

SkywayMyWay - Minneapolis Skyway Map

For someone from D.C. to say that the level of urbanity in D.C. is not obtainable in MSP is simply wrong. It is another sort of urbanity, but it is most certainly there.

And yes, I've been to D.C. countless times. I have friends throughout the DMV.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Have you been to Minneapolis before? I will take their MUCH more big city Downtown over D.C., all day, every day. People still shop in Downtown Minnie.

And do you have reading comprehension issues? What part of "without ever going outside" did you miss?

Due to Winter temps, Minneapolis was innovative enough to connect most of Downtown to a 2nd floor skyway system. It's an entirely other layer of the city, and only Calgary has something similar in our part of the world above ground. Montreal, Toronto and Houston have impressive underground systems.

SkywayMyWay - Minneapolis Skyway Map

For someone from D.C. to say that the level of urbanity in D.C. is not obtainable in MSP is simply wrong. It is another sort of urbanity, but it is most certainly there.

And yes, I've been to D.C. countless times. I have friends throughout the DMV.
No I do not have reading comprehension issues. No need for the insults, makes you look extremely childish. I've never been to Minneapolis and wasn't aware. Sound pretty amazing to me and it makes me want to visit. Like I said to the other poster, it's pretty darn amazing and innovative what Minneapolis did with the skyway.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
No I do not have reading comprehension issues. No need for the insults, makes you look extremely childish. I've never been to Minneapolis and wasn't aware. Sound pretty amazing to me and it makes me want to visit. Like I said to the other poster, it's pretty darn amazing and innovative what Minneapolis did with the skyway.
I was snarky simply because you have been to me in every single interaction we've had.

At this point, I consider you to be in the 'D.C. is superior to everywhere on earth and is the Center of the Universe' camp. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I was snarky simply because you have been to me in every single interaction we've had.

At this point, I consider you to be in the 'D.C. is superior to everywhere on earth and is the Center of the Universe' camp. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
I have not made any post that come off as DC is the center of the earth and blahblahblah camp. I'm a realistic poster and then sometimes I'll have my subjective post. Although most of the time I do not bring up DC just to bring it up unless I'm replying to a previous comments about DC or if the thread is about DC. MY favorite city in the US isn't even DC, it's NYC, Boston and SF. I would never pick DC in a poll over NYC, I'm not some ridiculous city booster who believes DC is the best city in the world and not once has anything came out of my mouth like that. At this point I think you just hate DC and me, it's pretty clear and hysterical. I've only insulted you when you made claims about that I live in loudon and all this BS because you were being very immature and when I asked you to stop because you were lying you kept going on and on. So yes you're mistaken.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I have not made any post that come off as DC is the center of the earth and blahblahblah camp. I'm a realistic poster and then sometimes I'll have my subjective post. Although most of the time I do not bring up DC just to bring it up unless I'm replying to a previous comments about DC or if the thread is about DC. MY favorite city in the US isn't even DC, it's NYC, Boston and SF. I would never pick DC in a poll over NYC, I'm not some ridiculous city booster who believes DC is the best city in the world and not once has anything came out of my mouth like that. At this point I think you just hate DC and me, it's pretty clear and hysterical. I've only insulted you when you made claims about that I live in loudon and all this BS because you were being very immature and when I asked you to stop because you were lying you kept going on and on. So yes you're mistaken.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Next up, you'll accuse me of 'stalking' because I dare to challenge your total BS.

Your posts speak volumes.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
And you would be very wrong to assume this.

There are many residents in Downtown Minneapolis that can walk multiple blocks to work, shopping, sporting events and entertainment - without ever going outside. D.C. doesn't even offer this.
Walking through tunnels is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Let me ask you, if Minneapolis had a choice to be warmer and could have normal outside storefronts, sidewalk cafés, and vibrant streets, which do you think people of Minneapolis would choose? The tunnels were made to mitigate a problem. With the choice to not need them, people would not choose to have them.

As for urbanity, I'm not even going to respond to that claim. Minneapolis isn't even in the conversation for best downtown's. The list normally goes like this:

New York
Chicago
Philly
San Fran
Boston
DC
Seattle
LA

And that's about it....

Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Walking through tunnels is not a good thing, it's a bad thing.
They aren't tunnels, they are skyways. Pretty huge difference.

Quote:
Let me ask you, if Minneapolis had a choice to be warmer and could have normal outside storefronts, sidewalk cafés, and vibrant streets, which do you think people of Minneapolis would choose? The tunnels were made to mitigate a problem. With the choice to not need them, people would not choose to have them.
LOL! They already have all of this. You obviously are not familiar with their Winter weather.

Quote:
As for urbanity, I'm not even going to respond to that claim. Minneapolis isn't even in the conversation for best downtown's. The list normally goes like this:

New York
Chicago
Philly
San Fran
Boston
DC
Seattle
LA

And that's about it....
DC doesn't belong on this list. Minneapolis has a 'real' Downtown, with at least 3 times the shopping D.C. does. And to place it above Seattle is beyond laughable.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
They aren't tunnels, they are skyways. Pretty huge difference.

LOL! They already have all of this. You obviously are not familiar with their Winter weather.

DC doesn't belong on this list. Minneapolis has a 'real' Downtown, with at least 3 times the shopping D.C. does. And to place it above Seattle is beyond laughable.
You won't find anybody outside yourself who thinks that. Are you new to this board? Maybe you should do a search for best downtowns to see what has been said. You won't find anybody talking about the twin cities, but DC is always on the list.

No offense, however, D.C. and the Twin cities should not be compared in this way. The Twin cities aren't in the same tier with D.C. Its apples and oranges. D.C. has an MSA of 6 million and a CSA of 9.5 million people. The city has one of the highest population densities in the nation. D.C. has the second largest subway system and the second highest subway ridership in the nation behind NYC. D.C. is an apartment living city. There really is no comparison to be had between the two area's. It's not fair to Minneapolis because instead of just giving personal preferences, people like you come on here with delusional claims like downtown Minneapolis being better than downtown D.C. Maybe we should compare the two downtowns....

There are major brand storefronts in downtown D.C. that will never even have a presence in all of the twin cities. Just stop now because this is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-14-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City