Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:35 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You won't find anybody outside yourself who thinks that. Are you new to this board? Maybe you should do a search for best downtowns to see what has been said. You won't find anybody talking about the twin cities, but DC is always on the list.
I guess with a clearly visible join date of Nov 2014 you can say I am new here, yes. And the thread respondents obviously favor MSP over D.C. by a wide margin.

I could care less what people here have said in the past. I have seen and experienced these places in person and know for a fact that Minneapolis has a far nicer, more vibrant and attractive Downtown. The people are also much more friendly and welcoming than D.C. inhabitants.

Your little list is cute, but D.C. has no business being on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I guess with a clearly visible join date of Nov 2014 you can say I am new here, yes. And the thread respondents obviously favor MSP over D.C. by a wide margin.

I could care less what people here have said in the past. I have seen and experienced these places in person and know for a fact that Minneapolis has a far nicer, more vibrant and attractive Downtown. The people are also much more friendly and welcoming than D.C. inhabitants.

When you say shopping is great in downtown Minneapolis, which storefronts are you referring too? Here are some of the high-end flagship storefronts in the heart of downtown D.C.:

Paul Stuart
Dior
Louis Vuitton
Burberry
Hermes
Zadig & Voltaire
Allen Edmonds
Caudelie
Longchamp
Hugo Boss
Salvatore Ferragamo
Loro Piana
David Yurman
Carolina Herrera

What high-end storefronts are in downtown Minneapolis?

Also, have you ever heard of Georgetown? It's right next to the west side of downtown D.C. next to Foggy Bottom.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-14-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Look, I'm sure the Twin cities are great, but there isn't a single urban dense city in the nation outside of NYC with more infill and development going on than Washington D.C. and its not close. There are over 20,000 housing units delivering in the D.C. urban core over the next three years. This really isn't close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUGFprcgaI#t=35

Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
When you say shopping is great in downtown Minneapolis, which storefronts are you referring too? Here are some of the high-end flagship storefronts in the heart of downtown D.C.:

Paul Stuart
Dior
Louis Vuitton
Burberry
Hermes
Zadig & Voltaire
Allen Edmonds
Caudelie
Longchamp
Hugo Boss
Salvatore Ferragamo
Loro Piana
David Yurman
Carolina Herrera

What high-end storefronts are in downtown Minneapolis?

Also, have you ever heard of Georgetown? It's right next to the west side of downtown D.C. next to Foggy Bottom.
I am familiar with your little CityCenter development, and I know all of these stores are just now opening. Previously there was really nothing more than a dumpy Macy's. I have no intention of listing any of Downtown Minneapolis's stores. It doesn't matter, their Downtown is more vibrant and attractive than D.C.'s and feels MUCH more urban.

And of course I've heard of Georgetown, as I mentioned to you I've been to D.C. more times than I can count. I usually stay between there and DuPont Circle when I'm in town. I prefer the Twin Cities, in every possible way.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I am familiar with your little CityCenter development, and I know all of these stores are just now opening. Previously there was really nothing more than a dumpy Macy's. I have no intention of listing any of Downtown Minneapolis's stores. It doesn't matter, their Downtown is more vibrant and attractive than D.C.'s and feels MUCH more urban.

And of course I've heard of Georgetown, as I mentioned to you I've been to D.C. more times than I can count. I usually stay between there and DuPont Circle when I'm in town. I prefer the Twin Cities, in every possible way.
Now that is more like it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is just that though, you're opinion. You are in the minority nationwide on this which is ok. D.C. is an Alpha city, it's in a different tier and there is nothing wrong with that. Every city no matter how small is great in their own way.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:

No way does Minneapolis have a more vibrant downtown than DC.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM

118 posts, read 113,610 times
There's subjective opinion, like "cities are better than suburbs" and then there's just lunacy like "suburbs are more urban than cities."

Minneapolis is pretty cool JMatl, but Minneapolis having a more vibrant downtown than DC is lunacy. It does your point a disservice arguing the absurd. And if you think City Center is either "little" or the only thing to point to in DC for shopping, then you've disqualified yourself from any intelligent discussion.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Walking through tunnels is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Let me ask you, if Minneapolis had a choice to be warmer and could have normal outside storefronts, sidewalk cafés, and vibrant streets, which do you think people of Minneapolis would choose?
Many cities in the north have skyways - I used to use the ones in Milwaukee all the time when I worked downtown. Especially if it were raining, or really cold, or really hot...how about being able to manage downtown DC with skyways during the 5 months of mongo heat and humidity while you cook in your wool suit in the sun? Minneapolis has a very extensive network of skyways, which would benefit pretty much every city in the country outside SoCal. Do you have weather in your city? Then a network of skyways would be beneficial, period.

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 02:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Look, I'm a Minneapolis native and I've visited DC a couple of times lately, and DC has a "better" downtown, period. It's bigger, more interesting, denser, has more retail and entertainment options, etc. The only difference is the height, but DC would lose that battle to Minot, ND!

However, much to the chagrin of many DC or East Coast boosters, Minneapolis is also experiencing an urban renaissance, but certainly not to DC's level. For the supposed 20,000 housing units DC is adding in the next 3 years, Minneapolis is looking at 17,000. I don't know what the scope was for the DC metric but I'd be willing to bet that DC may have up to twice as many units in the pipeline -- or dollars of investment towards development overall -- than Minneapolis. That does not make Minneapolis backwater so much as it makes DC a boomtown/The Flavor of the Week.

I don't always get the impression from many forumers that Minneapolis is taken seriously, so I thought I would add some perspective, as well as confirm that downtown DC is in fact miles ahead of downtown Mpls.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Look, I'm a Minneapolis native and I've visited DC a couple of times lately, and DC has a "better" downtown, period. It's bigger, more interesting, denser, has more retail and entertainment options, etc. The only difference is the height, but DC would lose that battle to Minot, ND!

However, much to the chagrin of many DC or East Coast boosters, Minneapolis is also experiencing an urban renaissance, but certainly not to DC's level. For the supposed 20,000 housing units DC is adding in the next 3 years, Minneapolis is looking at 17,000. I don't know what the scope was for the DC metric but I'd be willing to bet that DC may have up to twice as many units in the pipeline -- or dollars of investment towards development overall -- than Minneapolis. That does not make Minneapolis backwater so much as it makes DC a boomtown/The Flavor of the Week.

I don't always get the impression from many forumers that Minneapolis is taken seriously, so I thought I would add some perspective, as well as confirm that downtown DC is in fact miles ahead of downtown Mpls.
The 20,000 units is just in the downtown core measured in 20 sq. miles. It is more than that if we include the entire city. I was only talking about the downtown urban core of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City