Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM

591 posts, read 819,771 times

Advertisements

I wonder which city has more people in the streets shopping, sight-seeing, bar-hopping, or enjoying a leisurely walk in the evening time. Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
You act like playing in the snow in your backyard for months on end is fun.
Most people that want to enjoy the snow will go skiing or snowboarding a few times in a month on a real mountain. Not build snowmen in their yard every single day for 4 months.
Because snowmobiling is boring right? And hockey is just one of the most fun sports to play in the world. Yeah you will find grown men outside playing pond hockey.

Quote:
What can you do in 45 degree weather with a chance of drizzle? Literally anything. There is nothing you cannot do except go swimming. BBQ? Sure, put on a light coat and pick a day when it isn't wet out.
And you don't have to worry about ending up in a ditch when your car hits some black ice.
I knew someone would throw the technicalities around. Yes you can start a grill and cook on it when it's 45 degrees out. Amazing. I also have a plow so I'm out in the snow. Never had an accident in snow nor have most people I know. I know when Seattle sees a dusting they all crash their little Subarus into each other but Seattle isn't the rest of America.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Terrific. And I'm currently in Seattle so I know what I'm talking about too.

The high today in Minneapolis is going to be 28.

The high today in Seattle is going to be 62.

According to you, only a Southerner will notice the difference.
Yeah, like it's always in the 60s during Seattle fall / winter months ... This Saturday it's suppose to be 48 in Seattle and 47 degrees in Minneapolis.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
This Saturday it's suppose to be 48 in Seattle and 47 degrees in Minneapolis.
even during winter "heatwaves" Minneapolis is colder than Seattle. I can't imagine living in a city with mostly freezing temperatures for 3-4 or 5 months depending on the year.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
You're a genius. No one has said Seattle has nice winters. The point is that Seattle has BETTER winters than Minneapolis. None of your comments make sense. Just stop.
Yes they have. You need to stop, you're too involved for a San Diegon anyways.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The snow didn't melt at all last winter in coastal New England. From mid December to March/April we had snow cover.

I can't think of a single activity that 45 degrees or drizzle would improve. You can't swim or barbecue. You can't snowmobile or play ice hockey. 45 degrees is around the right temperature to annoy people who enjoy summer rec and annoy those who enjoy winter rec. It's a lose-lose for both.

What I'm trying to get an answer to is what do you do in 45 degrees with a 50% chance of mist that you don't have to drive an hour to do and how does the fact that it's 45 with possible mist improve it?
I don't think you even need to drive an hour to get to the snow in the mountains in Seattle. And even if you do, like I said, at least you still have options that you don't have in the Twin Cities.

You're also forgetting that every year, Seattle DOES get frigid temps and snowfall in the city itself. Granted, not to the same degree/length of time that the Twin Cities do, but it happens nonetheless.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
So much of the winter recreation also happens because without it, there's nothing else to do in those frigid temps and all that snow. Not dining outside on the cafe patios, not window shopping, not taking a leisurely stroll through a park or the downtown. In Seattle you can still do this, even on the colder and snowier days.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
even during winter "heatwaves" Minneapolis is colder than Seattle. I can't imagine living in a city with mostly freezing temperatures for 3-4 or 5 months depending on the year.
Freezing for 3 - 4 or 5 months out of the year? Are you trying to be funny or are you really just that dumb? Do you know how long winter lasts? Do you even know when winter begins? Just curious because it seems as though you really have no idea as to what you are talking about.

BTW, I never claimed that Minneapolis is not colder than Seattle. What I did state is that Seattle can be miserable during the winter months too. Having heavy cloud cover the vast majority of days messes with your body.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Freezing for 3 - 4 or 5 months out of the year? Are you trying to be funny or are you really just that dumb? Do you know how long winter lasts? How about the start date? Just curious because it seems as though you really have no idea as to what you are talking about.
are YOU trying to be funny? You know what people mean by winter. Who cares if astronomical winter is from Dec 21 to March 19? Winter in LA and Miami is almost non-existent, winter in Alaska lasts for 7 months or more. Winter is not a 3 month period in the calendar. Winter weather can be any time when the weather is below 32 or when it snows even if this is in May.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Because snowmobiling is boring right? And hockey is just one of the most fun sports to play in the world. Yeah you will find grown men outside playing pond hockey.

I knew someone would throw the technicalities around. Yes you can start a grill and cook on it when it's 45 degrees out. Amazing. I also have a plow so I'm out in the snow. Never had an accident in snow nor have most people I know. I know when Seattle sees a dusting they all crash their little Subarus into each other but Seattle isn't the rest of America.
Yes I understand those are very fun activities, but do majority of people in Minneapolis do those things THAT often during the winter? Like more than once or twice a week?
Anyway, my point is that the weather in the winter in Seattle doesn't hinder normal daily life in any way at all. Not saying the weather is nice, just doesn't cause any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City