Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,777 times

Advertisements

In general I prefer a cold snowy winter over a wet cool one, but Minneapolis is a bit too cold for my taste. The only city cool enough to justify such a brutal winter is Montreal. In general I'd prefer a winter on the level of Montana or Boston, just a tad warmer than Minny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
In general I prefer a cold snowy winter over a wet cool one, but Minneapolis is a bit too cold for my taste. The only city cool enough to justify such a brutal winter is Montreal. In general I'd prefer a winter on the level of Montana or Boston, just a tad warmer than Minny.
There's a significant area of Montana that gets even colder than MSP. However, it's also the least populated part of Montana. Billings, Great Falls, and Helena experience roughly the same winter temps, give or take a few degrees... and the same duration of said temps that MSP does.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
46 degree highs are not comfortable. The only thing separating the cold in Seattle from MPLS is the degree. MPLS is more extreme but if I have to be uncomfortably cold anyway then I want snow and I want to play hockey and ride snowmobiles. Otherwise I'd move to LA or Florida where I wouldn't have to deal with 46 degrees. 46 degrees is late fall weather and it sucks. Everybody is ready for winter by the time it hits 46 here. Either that or they want summer back. I've never heard anybody say they'd rather have 40 something degree winters over what we have. Seattle's winters are nothing anybody would look forward to and it's not something anybody in a real cold climate is missing out on.
Again Seattle winters were nice compared to where I came from. If I moved from Minneapolis today and moved to Seattle I would be thrilled to get out of its weather and into Seattle's which would feel almost balmy in comparison. If you prefer the weather in Minneapolis that's fine. I just don't.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM

157 posts, read 296,652 times
Hahaha even tho I love the snow a lot I would prefer the weather of Seattle because it's not as frigid as Minneapolis..
I believe the person who created the thread didn't really know about Seattle's climate..
Seattle for the most part is mild compared to the rest of the Northern cities.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM

305 posts, read 416,582 times
Seattle is the reason I found City Data, came here way back in 2009 back when I was obsessed with Seattle, never even been out of Ohio back then, but I knew about Seattle from Renton to Auburn, cause I met a cool friend online from there, Space Needle fan and all, lol way before Seattle was winning every poll(hell, Seattle was barely brought up back then) it was on and Hasslebeck/Qwest Field. But now I gotta say the posters that are now in Seattle are all either smartarses or douches, I mean you meet a few cool people but not like it used to be, and it makes me sad, it used to be my dream city and now it just seems to be losing its calm identity it used to have wit hall the new people going there, you can tell just comparing the posters from there now, and back in 09. Back then people just didnt care or let others think what they think about the gripes with Seattle(northwest attitude). Now people gotta argue and justify every single thing about the city and if you dont like it youre not cool, whered all that come from?

But on a serious note. If Minneapolis gets sunlight in the winter, well, much more than Seattle, this is very much debatable.
But tbh snow and sun is probably more preferable (and it seems more wintery/holiday spirit with snow) than gloom, rain and doom nearly every week. And dont tell me it doesnt bother anyone up there. Snow bothers people just like the gloom and doom in winter. Ive been checking the Seattle board since 09 and even natives manage to post how they are tired of the overcast from time to time, some even get those sunlight simulation lamps to cope. Just like people hate the soul freezing cold. Im from Cleveland, similar to Seattle in overcast AND we got snow, and now I live in hot humid southeast, I know most of it. Any weather situation is debatable.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Oh, well that explains it. You grew up in Minne. I was wondering as to why you were so persistent in defending Minne's winters.
I'm not from Minnesota. I'm from NY and live in Maine.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
3.5 million people live in the Twin Cities, and 5.5 million people live in Minnesota. If winters were truly as horrific as people from elsewhere claim that they are, then I don't know why millions of people are suffering needlessly just to live here.

In any case, I don't know how anyone can honestly say Seattle has "worse" winters; it's absolutely milder. I honestly don't think I'd mind months of grey if the sun peeked out at least a couple times a week.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
In all fairness, not everyone can leave the Twin Cities. Many want to move to warmer climes, but can't afford it. Others have health issues to prevent them from going, or maybe they'd miss their families and friends too much.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
In all fairness, not everyone can leave the Twin Cities.
In all fairness, this fact is true of every city, anywhere.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I'm not denying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City