Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tyler, Wausau, or Lynchburg? If you had to choose.
Tyler Texas 7 31.82%
Wausau Wisconsin 2 9.09%
Lynchburg Virginia 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:55 PM

21 posts, read 20,626 times

Advertisements

All smallish cities.
I have this weird opportunity to move to either of these.
I have 1 week to make a desicion. It's really not easy, I cant afford to visit them before moving, can only afford the move.

Looking for a quiet place with beautiful scenery, great healthcare and preferably little traffic. Coming from phoenix I'm hoping that any of these cities will have better traffic.

My current, possibly misinformed, thoughts:
Tyler will be hot and crime seems high, tornadoes?
Wausau will be cold and driving on ice is terrifying if it has to be done most of the year, why does wausau news have so many sex offender releases? High taxes.
Coming from the west Lynchburg seems a bit racist and very conservative in a judgy way, I could be VERY wrong just some of what I read. Some sites say theres crime there, some say it's safe. Sinkholes?

So I'm lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 PM

193 posts, read 204,885 times
There is currently a rather extensive discussion of Lynchburg on the Virginia "Roanoke Area" sub-forum. The OP is thinking of moving to Lynchburg and is looking for information on the city. Some pretty good responses so far--you might find it interesting.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
It's tricky, because no one here will be familiar with those three very different - and rather obscure - locations to be able to compare personally. Plus we don't know you, we only really know ourselves and our preferences.

I'd make a table (such as with Excel) and start putting in categories on one side (rows), and ratings in the three columns/cities. Then try to fill them in, and see where the overall "points" go.

In the end, maybe your current location makes the most sense of all. It's dangerous to move without seeing the new place first hand. And beware of drastic changes in location, which equals drastic changes in culture and familiarity. It sounds like that's a big risk in your situation.

Big potential changes like this need time, lots of time, for research and reflection. One week is asking for trouble IMO.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:32 PM

21 posts, read 20,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's tricky, because no one here will be familiar with those three very different - and rather obscure - locations to be able to compare personally. Plus we don't know you, we only really know ourselves and our preferences.

I'd make a table (such as with Excel) and start putting in categories on one side (rows), and ratings in the three columns/cities. Then try to fill them in, and see where the overall "points" go.

In the end, maybe your current location makes the most sense of all. It's dangerous to move without seeing the new place first hand. And beware of drastic changes in location, which equals drastic changes in culture and familiarity. It sounds like that's a big risk in your situation.

Big potential changes like this need time, lots of time, for research and reflection. One week is asking for trouble IMO.
I did try points and all came very close. Where I live is very expensive except in the really bad areas and I cant stand the heat and traffic. After research I am fine with any of the places over where I am. I have 1 week to figure it out, 2 weeks to find a landlord to rent to me and 2 weeks to organize the move.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:27 PM

842 posts, read 828,218 times
Well, personally I would pick Lynchburg for the best climate of the three and best natural setting. You can be in the mountains in a short period of time, and DC is an easy drive.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
I've only been to Wausau once or twice and it never seemed that great...but that's compared to southeastern WI which has more to do and see. Not sure how it compares to the other 2 cities. Wisconsin is a pretty good place to live though, especially in the warmer months...for whatever that's worth.

As far as what you listed, I think traffic and crime will be pretty low, and you'd be near the northwoods/lakes for some scenery.

Last edited by T0103E; 08-24-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City