Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,663 times

Advertisements

Interesting that the Bay Area is now winning the poll...

hehe perhaps most of the American voters voted for the Bay and Canadian voters mostly voted for GTA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good points... There are 684K south Asians in the Greater Toronto Area making that group the largest visible minority in the region.. By 2031 that number is expected to rise to 2.1 million vs 1.1 Chinese.. There will be a full 1 million more South Asians in the GTA than East Asian.. 1 in 4 persons in the GTA will be South Asian, that is staggering!

South Asian immigrants are transforming Toronto - The Globe and Mail
And there is no significant backlash or concerns about having such a massive amount of immigration?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

hehe perhaps most of the American voters voted for the Bay and Canadian voters mostly voted for GTA...
And SF is the darling child of City-Data. Nobody thinks it has any imperfections...
In addition, people here tend to generalize T-dot as being bland and without character.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

It is odd - most people in the comments have said Toronto - which is probably more true but by default for many it'll just be a Bay Area click.. We don't take it personally - it is to be expected

Last edited by fusion2; 12-10-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And there is no significant backlash or concerns about having such a massive amount of immigration?
Backlash - not really I mean Toronto has been receiving massive amounts of immigrants since the 60's so its a part of the milieu and identity of the city really. I have no issue with it and I suspect the vast majority of the city wouldn't either. Most of my neighbours are vis min and we all get along fine. There are economic concerns obviously and it'll take time for any immigrant to become established in their new home.. The most successful Indians I know are one's who have been here for awhile.. It just comes with the territoryof leaving one place and establishing somewhere new. The alternative would be for them to stay in their homeland yet they still come because ultimately it is a better life for them and their children.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 PM

379 posts, read 468,201 times
SF also has a very transient Asian population due to Silicon Valley but Toronto seems to attract a lot more immigrants for the long haul. Toronto wins this easily . Toronto, London, and NYC are the most diverse cities on the planet. Anyone who argues otherwise is wrong.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
According to some polls, LA is even more diverse than NYC, though this is heavily debated (NYC more types of Europeans, and more variety of Latinos; LA in general has more types of people of color, but less diversity among it's Latino population, which is mainly Mexican).

In any case, I'd add Los Angeles to that group.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
According to some polls, LA is even more diverse than NYC, though this is heavily debated (NYC more types of Europeans, and more variety of Latinos; LA in general has more types of people of color, but less diversity among it's Latino population, which is mainly Mexican).

In any case, I'd add Los Angeles to that group.
I think it also depends on how you define diversity.. Are you just referring to racial diversity and percentage of various Vis Mins or are you referring to ethnic and cultural diversity. In the latter its hard not to say that NYC would have incredible ethnic and cultural diversity, practically every ethnicity, culture and mother tongue is represented in the city in respectable numbers. Toronto is also is strong in that arena of multiculturalism and across the spectrum representation of a variety of ethnicities and foreign tongues (including white ethnic diversity).. What it doesn't have is the large number of blacks and hispanics compared to the Bay Area or L.A..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:38 PM

379 posts, read 468,201 times
If diversity is defined by white black Hispanic Asian , then LA is comparable. If the definition is more accurately nuanced, then no deal. I'm sure there are hard metrics to back this up, and if anyone wants to argue it, I'll be happy to procure said metrics. This is off topic regardless, bottom line, Toronto is more Asian than SF.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,663 times
Having been all over the Bay and GTA, I personally think it handily goes to the GTA. Beyond the percentages, another way to look at is how many white ppl do you have for every Asian person in each metro area? For the Bay Area I think it's ~1.8-1.9:1 while in the GTA it's closer to 1.5:1. That having been said, I can see why someone may feel like the Bay Area may exude a more intense Asian "feel"; I think it's because ppl typically associate "Asian" with East/Southeast Asian and comparing the cores alone SF IS more East/Southeast Asian than Toronto; in particular, the City of SF (the "core" of the Bay Area) is more East/Southeast Asian than Old Toronto (the "core" of the GTA).

The SF school district is also substantially more East/Southeast Asian than Toronto's.
K-6 Demographics of Toronto District School Board in 2012- http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/Abou...rentCensus.pdf (go to pg 3) vs http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd...ce%20-2013.pdf So the Toronto District School board is ~18% East+SouthEast Asian, while SF Unified School District is ~38% Chinese+Filipino.

BUT, the point to keep in mind is that the Toronto District School Board covers ALL of the city of Toronto- including the furthest reaches of Scarborough and Etobicoke (this covers >40% of the CMA population). A fair comparison would be to compare the East+Southeast Asian % of the TDSB with those of all of the school districts contained in Alameda, San Francisco and San Mateo counties- which would amount to a similar share of the Bay Area's population...but this would be pretty cumbersome to do since San Mateo and Alameda counties are divided up into a bunch of school districts..

So, while I understand why some people might be led to believe that the Bay Area has a stronger Asian presence than the GTA, I personally believe that the GTA has the stronger Asian presence. Part of this is due to the fact that in parts of the Bay Area (outside of SF) where the Asian presence is particularly strong, there's often a fairly strong Hispanic presence as well and in pockets of the East Bay you can add a strong black presence to this. However, in the GTA, the Hispanic population is miniscule and where the black presence is there, they're usually drowned out by the South Asians and/or Chinese, so Asians really *dominate* the visible minority scene in the GTA in a way that they do not in the Bay Area.

Last edited by bballniket; 12-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: duplicate link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City