Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times

Advertisements

Toronto has amazing Asian food--be it Chinese, Middle Eastern (if you wanna be technical about it), or Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Toronto by quite a bit, especially if you include the suburbs. Markham/RH is one of the only suburbs anywhere I enjoy spending time in because of the amazing Asian food scene.
What was the name of that Pakistani place you go to again in Mississauga- I think for Biryani?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:48 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What was the name of that Pakistani place you go to again in Mississauga- I think for Biryani?
Desi Corner: Desi Corner Restaurant

If you havent been....GO!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Toronto has amazing Asian food--be it Chinese, Middle Eastern (if you wanna be technical about it), or Indian.
Agreed. I don't think people realize how insane a place like Markham is for food until they visit the place. The food court in Pacific Mall alone is enough reason to make the drive outside of Toronto.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Desi Corner: Desi Corner Restaurant

If you havent been....GO!
Ah yes - I have not but I will! Thanks...

Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 PM

929 posts, read 1,889,161 times
I wonder when Toronto will overtake London as the South Asian capital of the western world...on a percentage basis, they seem pretty similar for now, but their growth in Toronto is gonna be wayy more than their growth in London.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I wonder when Toronto will overtake London as the South Asian capital of the western world...on a percentage basis, they seem pretty similar for now, but their growth in Toronto is gonna be wayy more than their growth in London.
I have no idea what the numbers say but I think it may be a while. I have lived in both and while Toronto feels very South Asian in parts, London still stands out more to me in that sense. Plus Indian culture has bled into mainstream British life in a way that it has not in Toronto. British Curry is a perfect example of that.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what the numbers say but I think it may be a while. I have lived in both and while Toronto feels very South Asian in parts, London still stands out more to me in that sense. Plus Indian culture has bled into mainstream British life in a way that it has not in Toronto. British Curry is a perfect example of that.
That's understandable; the numbers have Toronto and London being essentially equally South Asian (both roughly 15%), but like you said, South Asian culture has found its way into British mainstream culture.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 PM

379 posts, read 462,382 times
Desi culture is more mainstream in London by virtue of it being a much older immigrant group. However, on the whole, South Asians seem to be better integrated with mainstream society in Toronto as opposed to London; where they are more marginalized in the latter. This may sound contradictory but it is what it is.

IN Queens Desis are about 12% of the population but far more segregated and poorer than London or Toronto; so close in numbers but far off in affluence or integration. I hope Montclair doesn't get a hard on based on that statement.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
IN Queens Desis are about 12% of the population but far more segregated and poorer than London or Toronto; so close in numbers but far off in affluence or integration. I hope Montclair doesn't get a hard on based on that statement.
Per the American Community Survey website, as of 2013, Indians are only 5.9% of Queens; the 2013 numbers are available for Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, or Sri Lankans, but in 2010, I think Pakistanis and Bangladeshis combined were only 52,000 or so, even if they grew considerably, the South Asian population is still no more than 9% of Queens' population in 2013 vs. 15.1% in Greater Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City