Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more Asian- the San Francisco Bay area (SF Bay) or Greater Toronto (GTA) ?
SF Bay 60 59.41%
GTA 41 40.59%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times

Advertisements

I dunno if there's a section of Greater London of over 500,000 that's plurality South Asian, the way Brampton is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Plenty of spots in London like that; Tower Hamlets, for one.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Tower Hamlets has like 250k people- but yep, it's strongly Bangladeshi! Brampton is 38.4% South Asian and has 523,911...still don't know of any contiguous London area of over 500k that's that strongly South Asian.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Okay you win man.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:58 PM

I totally wasn't trying to "one-up" you or anything and definitely respect you as a poster...I was just genuinely curious. My family is from India, and I visited London in 99, when I was a kid, but I haven't been back since...I've checked out the demographics of South Asian areas of its various boroughs and even looked street views, etc. I definitely wish Toronto had a vibrant south Asian retail/dining strip like Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets or The Broadway in Southall...Gerrard India Bazaar just doesn't cut it. Even though places like Mississauga and Brampton have Indian strip malls, the "feel" just isn't the same as a jam-packed strip like Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets or The Broadway in Southall.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Fair enough i didn't mean to be snarky, apologies. The difference is that Brampton et al are recent suburban developments whereas the Desi areas in London are way more urban and relatively historical. I would argue that the same is true of Queens as well, despite the fact that it's "only" 9% south Asian, as you pointed out. Suburban ethnic development vs an Urban one makes a big difference, regardless of numbers.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:19 PM

Yep, the Desi areas in Queens are more vibrant than the ones in Toronto, but London's are on an entirely different level! On that same subject, I think a big reason some people find the Bay Area to be more Chinese than GTA is because San Francisco's Chinatown is much more densely populated/larger/expansive than Toronto's downtown Chinatown...since most casual tourists don't venture into Agincourt,Markham,North York, etc., their perception is that the Bay Area must be more heavily Chinese than Greater Toronto. What's interesting is that most of the immigrants in the city of Toronto live on the outskirts of the city (Scarobourgh, Etobicoke and North York) and a MUCH smaller share live in Old Toronto. This isn't all that different from the situation in NYC- with a disproportionate share of the immigrants live in Queens and Brooklyn- especially OUTER Queens and Brooklyn- with Manhattan and the closer-in parts of Brooklyn not having nearly as many immigrants.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
According to the Gerrard India Bazaar website it is the largest Marketing place of South Asian Goods and Services in N.A... Not too shabby..

Gerrard India Bazaar

Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Yep, the Desi areas in Queens are more vibrant than the ones in Toronto, but London's are on an entirely different level! On that same subject, I think a big reason some people find the Bay Area to be more Chinese than GTA is because San Francisco's Chinatown is much more densely populated/larger/expansive than Toronto's downtown Chinatown...since most casual tourists don't venture into Agincourt,Markham,North York, etc., their perception is that the Bay Area must be more heavily Chinese than Greater Toronto. What's interesting is that most of the immigrants in the city of Toronto live on the outskirts of the city (Scarobourgh, Etobicoke and North York) and a MUCH smaller share live in Old Toronto. This isn't all that different from the situation in NYC- with a disproportionate share of the immigrants live in Queens and Brooklyn- especially OUTER Queens and Brooklyn- with Manhattan and the closer-in parts of Brooklyn not having nearly as many immigrants.
Toronto has two large chinatowns each bordering the DT core on the East and West... The larger of course is on the west but the one on the east is nothing to dismiss either.. Having said that yes, the Chinese community is spread far and wide across the GTA with pretty large nodal concentrations of businesses throughout. The Pacific Mall in Markham is definately of note 450 stores in one indoor mall for example. There are a total of Six Chinatowns in the GTA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Toronto

Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
According to the Gerrard India Bazaar website it is the largest Marketing place of South Asian Goods and Services in N.A... Not too shabby..

Gerrard India Bazaar
Hmm, that's interesting they say that. In my experience Oak Tree Rd in Edison/Iselin,NJ, Devon Ave. in Chicago, and Jackson Heights in Queens have more retail and are a bit larger than Gerrard India Bazaar, even though the South Asian populations themselves are much smaller in those areas...argh, if only the Hurontario/Dundas area of Mississauga densifies and explodes into a massive Indo-Pak district...that'd be awesome...or heck, even if the Sri Lankan business in Scarborough somehow consolidated under one umbrella and spearheaded a "Little Colombo"district somewhere near one of the Scarborough RT stations, that'd be pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City