Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:58 AM

18 posts, read 66,859 times

Advertisements

I really want to move to Austin. I visited in June and fell in love with it out of the gate. My former bassist and drummer moved there separately about 4-5 years ago and are doing really well.

The only downside is the heat. It's something of an issue to me, but I'd rather sweat and live a happy life than stay in the gilded cage of San Jose, CA for one more day. I'm from Indiana, not California, and being there reminded me of what I loved as a kid while still having elements that remind me of the Silicon Valley minus the shallow rat race that it is to me.

My wife, on the other hand, has only lived in the Bay Area for her whole life and is afraid of being too hot to want to do anything, and the fear of change on top of that. I've lived all over the place, so that part doesn't phase me at all.

Anyway, the other contender is Denver. Denver has seasons, basements, and a much more tolerable heat index for weenies. It also has a tech center, which I know Austin (and of course San Jose) has.

Here's the question: How would you compare the two?

Cost of living, things to do, economy, tech-related jobs (from the marketing side), work-life balance, friendliness, kid's activities, schools, crime, etc.?

Yes, I've looked at the City Data website along with many others, but getting actual experience related to me by people makes more of a case for me than just stats.

A few things to consider:

-There's a chance both of us could work remotely for our current companies (BlackBerry and NTT America)
-To be safe, we'd need opportunities for positions as a Marketing Writer for me and a Marketing Manager for her (We pull about $170k in SJ and could likely retain a good amount of that if we can relocate and keep our jobs)
-We'd have at least $100k to put down on a home between $250-$300k. Want 4-5 bedrooms and AC that could freeze fire)
-We have 2 young children (daughter is 3 years and baby 2 months old)
-We'd like to find a "modern" community church
-I'd be just another musician (modern rock/indie/alternative).
-Not crazy sports people but we love parks
-We love visiting neighboring areas to go exploring
-We're foodies.
-Moderate politics. Republicrat? I'm more conservate, she's more liberal.

If you have any experience with both areas and want to share, it could really make the difference for us.
Austin felt like a baby place I want to be FROM, and the friendliness of the people reminded me of my family and what I want my kids to grow up around.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,179 times
I was just on vacation in Colorado last week and frankly, both Denver and Austin sound like they'd be just fine for you.

I came from the Northeast and was worried about the heat, and it is definitely my least favorite thing here - but you do get used to it. The A/C here is phenomenal - I remember asking the realtor when we were first looking at places whether or not there was any because I couldn't hear it, and in NYC I was so used to hearing very loud systems (either window or central!).

At 4-5 bedrooms for $300k you'd be in the Austin burbs, probably North Austin / Cedar Park / Leander. I don't know Denver compares. The biggest considerations in where to live here are usually your commute to work as our traffic is awful, and then schools. Cedar Park and Leander both have very good schools and working from home means you can go pretty much anywhere.

The Mrs. and I thought we'd miss the NYC foodie scene but Austin is really very good for a city its size.

Austin is not quite 500 feet above sea level compared to the mile high city, so that may be a consideration. We're also a Republicrat city - probably the most liberal city in Texas, but it's still Texas, and particularly in the 'burbs you don't get the same stripe of liberal. We live in the South 'burbs and there are people on all sides of the spectrum - as a point of reference, the conservative candidate won our local district city council election in November...by 40-something votes?

Folks in Texas and Austin are some of the friendliest I've ever seen. Dunno how Denver compares; I've liked it whenever I've been but haven't spent a great amount of time in Denver proper.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM

Thanks, Aquitaine! We'd be likely looking at Southeast Austin, unless we wanted to be in between ATX and Round Rock. We could easily afford $350k if we needed to for the right house. We also wanna ditch the debt, so we'd be looking at those variables.

Not too worried about traffic coming from the Bay Area. It can take an hour to go 15-18 miles!

Also, I die a little each day that I haven't had a Torchy's taco. The Republican sounded weird, but I had one and it changed my life. I will gladly sweat a bucket for a Torchy's Republican. *drools*

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongCalifornia View Post
I really want to move to Austin. I visited in June and fell in love with it out of the gate. My former bassist and drummer moved there separately about 4-5 years ago and are doing really well.

The only downside is the heat. It's something of an issue to me, but I'd rather sweat and live a happy life than stay in the gilded cage of San Jose, CA for one more day. I'm from Indiana, not California, and being there reminded me of what I loved as a kid while still having elements that remind me of the Silicon Valley minus the shallow rat race that it is to me.

My wife, on the other hand, has only lived in the Bay Area for her whole life and is afraid of being too hot to want to do anything, and the fear of change on top of that. I've lived all over the place, so that part doesn't phase me at all.

Anyway, the other contender is Denver. Denver has seasons, basements, and a much more tolerable heat index for weenies. It also has a tech center, which I know Austin (and of course San Jose) has.

Here's the question: How would you compare the two?

Cost of living, things to do, economy, tech-related jobs (from the marketing side), work-life balance, friendliness, kid's activities, schools, crime, etc.?

Yes, I've looked at the City Data website along with many others, but getting actual experience related to me by people makes more of a case for me than just stats.

A few things to consider:

-There's a chance both of us could work remotely for our current companies (BlackBerry and NTT America)
-To be safe, we'd need opportunities for positions as a Marketing Writer for me and a Marketing Manager for her (We pull about $170k in SJ and could likely retain a good amount of that if we can relocate and keep our jobs)
-We'd have at least $100k to put down on a home between $250-$300k. Want 4-5 bedrooms and AC that could freeze fire)
-We have 2 young children (daughter is 3 years and baby 2 months old)
-We'd like to find a "modern" community church
-I'd be just another musician (modern rock/indie/alternative).
-Not crazy sports people but we love parks
-We love visiting neighboring areas to go exploring
-We're foodies.
-Moderate politics. Republicrat? I'm more conservate, she's more liberal.

If you have any experience with both areas and want to share, it could really make the difference for us.
Austin felt like a baby place I want to be FROM, and the friendliness of the people reminded me of my family and what I want my kids to grow up around.

Thank you!
There are many threads already comparing the two on both boards; simply search either city in quotes in each board.

You will hear only subjective opinion, you realize. That said, having lived here and all around the Denver metro for 13 years, having grown up in the Bay Area and lived my 20s in SF, and having also lived in LA, Atalanta and Cleveland, I wish I'd never left Denver and it's far superior to Austin for our needs which are climate and change of seasons, things to do, scenery and beauty and allergens. Also, the COL used to be greater but the gap is seriously closing (the lower COL in Austin was one of the reasons for our move). You can search city comparison for many opinions.

Last edited by Idlewile; 01-24-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,179 times
I do envy Denver their seasons, no question.

I think if I were in your position, I'd think about it in terms of Texas vs. Colorado as much as Austin vs. Denver. The stuff to do nearby is pretty different. Here we have lake and hill country (hooray) and the Gulf coast (meh)...plenty of outdoor things to do but nothing like the Rockies.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM

Both are totally valid points. Idlewile, sounds like you've been around the block a bit! I'd love to hear any more comparisons. It's the subjective stuff I came here for, anyway. I have been searching other threads, but nothing beats direct communication.

It's the frickin' heat that's the fly in the proverbial ointment for Austin, since I have good buddies there.

Anyway, we're visiting Denver in a few months and then it will be a hard decision for me (not so much my wife since she's keen on CO).

Thanks again, folks!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
If your wife is extremely heat sensitive, then you should give strong consideration to Colorado. Austin will have 100 days a year with temps 90 or above, a dozen (or more) above 100.

I can pretty much give you the forecast for July right now (and remember you can see 90s in May and June is full on summer), July will have forecast highs of 97 and lows of 77. It is our high low temps that can kill those sensitive to heat. We do not cool off much at night. It can be 85 at 10 pm (it can be 90+ at 10 pm in August). The low of 77 will happen at about 4 am in the morning. Days of 97/77 will march on all through July, THEN August happens and it gets really hot. August heat can extend to mid September, October it is easing but everyone is still in short and sandals.

So it is not the high heat per se on any given day that is the problem, it is the high low temps, and the length of our summer (mid-May to mid-September) that burden some people.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
I believe that whichever city is chosen, the importance of living as close to your daily commute destination as possible to be the single most important factor. Both cities will consume a monstrous amount of personal time stuck in traffic, regardless, and having to fight it on a daily basis just to get to and from work can be a killer.

As for climate - it's a trade-off between hot summers and cold blustery winters, IMO. My personal preference would be for the Denver climate. But 12 years of living in Austin didn't bother me all that much.

For those who enjoy the great outdoors, Denver wins hands down, IMO. While Austin has its parks and lakes, Denver has its proximity to National Forests and National Parks and winter sports not available in Texas, much less in Austin.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:43 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
If your wife is extremely heat sensitive, then you should give strong consideration to Colorado. Austin will have 100 days a year with temps 90 or above, a dozen (or more) above 100.
Zackley. When Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:17 PM

Good points on the high low temps, but that's what AC is for, right?

She *is* heat-sensitive and hates sweating, though, and if we both like the Denver area then it's locked in.

I just really loved Austin from the first day. I've been many places, and very few of them would I want to pull up roots and make my (planned) permanent home, where my kids will grow up and probably their kids, too.

And that's really a big part of it -- the consideration of where your kids perceive their home to be, and the impact a community can have on them.

I grew up a pastor's kid and we moved all over the place in Indiana, California and Michigan. All told (no hyperbole) I've moved 26 times, only twice with my wife to upgrade from an apartment rental to a townhouse rental to the home we own in San Jose.

I don't want my kids moving all over the place. "One and Done" as far as the region is concerned. We're looking at our home purchase in Austin or Denver as our "forever home" where the kids will grow up, make friends, and maybe even find spouses. The responsibility to ensure that stability comes down to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: