Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Atlanta also carries a massive amount of through traffic, particularly on I-75 and I-85. This type of traffic typically bypasses metro Philly. It's a totally different set up.
How does through-traffic bypass metro Philly? 95 and 76 run right through the city . 276 and 476 (PA turnpike) goes through the NW suburbs.295 and NJ Turnpike thru the south jersey suburbs. Nearly all traffic along the NE corridor goes through some part of metro Philly.

Philly metro is in the middle of a 60 M person megalopolis.

But I do agree a completely different setup.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
How does through traffic bypass metro Philly? 95 and 76 run right through the city . 276 (PA turnpike) goes through the NW suburbs.295 and NJ Turnpike thru the south jersey suburbs.

Philly metro is in the middle of a 60 M person megalopolis.

But I do agree a completely different setup.
Most N/S traffic goes from Wilmington to NJ (via the NJTP) to points north or up 81 to the west of the city. Everything North of Philly heads west on 80 or to the South from Balt/Wash on 70 - yes most through traffic does not really go through the metro per se unless beginning or ending in the metro or parts of S Jersey

from highways Atlanta probably does feel larger and is experienced by more in this fashion I would think

Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
Let's not let Philly posters rub transit in Atlanta's face as if Philly is in the likes of NYC or DC. Philly's SEPTA + PATCO carries a bit more than Atlanta's MARTA, but it's not like Philly's system carries the same amount as Chicago's, Boston's, or SF's either. And it's not quite like MARTA is down in the lower ranks with Miami's Metrorail or Baltimore's subway. MARTA and SEPTA are pretty much in the same general league of ridership and usefulness. SEPTA benefits from extended hours, higher population density served, and feeders from a commuter rail system that adds a significant portion to ridership (something Atlanta doesn't have, nor will likely ever). Commuter rail in my mind is more of a differentiator between the two transit networks, but it's still not like SEPTA commuter is adding many hundreds of thousands of riders a day...

For as dense as Philly is, as large as it is, and as developed as its transit is, ridership is dismally low. It should honestly be killing Boston, SF, etc and be more on the level of Chicago. Atlanta's a sunbelt sprawler and still manages to eek out one of the most heavily used heavy rail systems in the country (which is sad for our country as a whole).

Old 12-31-2014, 10:44 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
And yes, 95 carries a ton of through traffic. 95 and 75 are both the two most congested overall freeways in the country.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Let's not let Philly posters rub transit in Atlanta's face as if Philly is in the likes of NYC or DC. Philly's SEPTA + PATCO carries a bit more than Atlanta's MARTA, but it's not like Philly's system carries the same amount as Chicago's, Boston's, or SF's either. And it's not quite like MARTA is down in the lower ranks with Miami's Metrorail or Baltimore's subway. MARTA and SEPTA are pretty much in the same general league of ridership and usefulness. SEPTA benefits from extended hours, higher population density served, and feeders from a commuter rail system that adds a significant portion to ridership (something Atlanta doesn't have, nor will likely ever). Commuter rail in my mind is more of a differentiator between the two transit networks, but it's still not like SEPTA commuter is adding many hundreds of thousands of riders a day...

For as dense as Philly is, as large as it is, and as developed as its transit is, ridership is dismally low. It should honestly be killing Boston, SF, etc and be more on the level of Chicago. Atlanta's a sunbelt sprawler and still manages to eek out one of the most heavily used heavy rail systems in the country (which is sad for our country as a whole).
are you just saying HR - if overall they are not close and SF and Boston and Philly are all pretty similar on PT - are you suggesting that somehow SF blows Philly HR out of the water. BART is like a hybrid (similar to metro in DC) it acts as both CR and HR - at 100+ miles versus 20+ on HR the ridership per mile is not close Bart is like 3-4K and SEPTA HR is like 10K

if you add in LRT, and CR or buses they are similar

Philly sadly did away with much of the Trolley lines that are now bus routes

and seriously you are MARTA and Septa are in the same league for usefulness? Actually SEPAT is far more useful and comprehensive than SF to be honest. I do think MARTA is a very good system, but is not good on coverage - good where it is but no where near as comprehensive

to me the biggest difference between say a Boston or even SF is the number of core jobs where Philly lags to these. the infrastructure is there, maybe even better than either (esp the CR) and could scale to carry many more actually with no real changes. Its under capacity and to me due to an under capacity core job number more than transit coverage or lack of good infrastructure.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Let's not let Philly posters rub transit in Atlanta's face as if Philly is in the likes of NYC or DC. .
New Ranking of Best U.S. Cities for Public Transit - Walk Score Blog

Where Can You Live Car-Free?

Here are the best U.S. cities for public transportation.

Rank City Transit Score
1 New York 81
2 San Francisco 80
3 Boston 75
4 Washington D.C. 70
5 Philadelphia 67

FWIW Atlanta's transit score is 43

Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I do think MARTA is a very good system, but is not good on coverage - good where it is but no where near as comprehensive
Agreed.

The first phase of Atlanta's downtown streetcar system debuted yesterday. It's only 2.7 miles and won't add significantly to overall transit ridership numbers, but connects many points of interest along the route and is generating a TON of excitement. We'll take what we can get.

Atlanta Streetcar takes inaugural ride (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed.

The first phase of Atlanta's downtown streetcar system debuted yesterday. It's only 2.7 miles and won't add significantly to overall transit ridership numbers, but connects many points of interest along the route and is generating a TON of excitement. We'll take what we can get.

Atlanta Streetcar takes inaugural ride (SLIDESHOW) - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Nice - is this part of the circulator system (I think what I read about)

Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Most N/S traffic goes from Wilmington to NJ (via the NJTP) to points north or up 81 to the west of the city. Everything North of Philly heads west on 80 or to the South from Balt/Wash on 70 - yes most through traffic does not really go through the metro per se unless beginning or ending in the metro or parts of S Jersey

from highways Atlanta probably does feel larger and is experienced by more in this fashion I would think

Im talking strictly NE corridor traffic . N/S traffic absolutely goes thru metro Philly at some point The NE corridor traffic uses 95/NJ Turnpike.Both encompass metro Philly.

The NJ Turnpike runs thru Salem,Gloucester,Camden, and Burlington Counties(all metro Philly)

Very few people going from DC & points south TO PHilly/NYC points N are taking your scenic routes. 80/81/70.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Nice - is this part of the circulator system (I think what I read about)
The streetcar is envisioned to eventually tie into the Beltline: Atlanta BeltLine/Atlanta Streetcar System Plan // Atlanta BeltLine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City