Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Its so stu[id.Hillbilly is a term used fow white mountain people whp generally were farmers.
Since much Georgia is not mountains and heavily African American I find these statements just plain ignorant.

The South is the cultural heart of America whether people like it or not.The things the world identify as American is rooted largely in Southern culture
You could not live in Georgia to not know that North Georgia has plenty of Mountains, Farms and rural areas and south Georgia is largely rural... Yes Georgia has a large population of Blacks, mainly in the Urban areas like most places as well as in some small towns but the state is still Majority White regardless.. Get off the Freeway about 50 miles north of Atlanta on I-75 in North GA between Atlanta and Chattanooga and drive down the highway and tell me what you see. Some try to make Georgia to be some Great oasis for blacks when it's not. It's interesting though

Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Im sorry but this post makes no sense to me.
How do presume if there was no subway Atlanta would not hace reached 5 million?Now if you said Airport then I could go with that,

Your hillbilly silliness is typical of people who aren't from the South.
Hillbilllies are mountain people.(Appalacian/Ozarks)White to be specific.
The Applacians which run though Pennsylvanis.Doest sound like may of the posters here have really traveled around PA as I have, You see some parts that look no different than the Southern Appalacians.
Pennsyltucky
Rural parts of Pennsylvania with large concentrations of country folk, noted for interest in Hunting, Country Music, NASCAR, trailer life, Wal-Mart and working at the plant. Often spotted wearing camouflage with full grown beards or unkept caveman appearance driving pickup trucks with gun racks. Note: PA has the largest Rural population of any state, not everyone who lives or is from these regions is a red neck, hick or country bumpkin and most who don't dislike the reference "Pennsyltuckey" and find it insulting.

How does a state with such a large black population be "hillbilly"?

There is nothing really between Philly and Wilmington. that is notable in growth than outside in Atlanta. One direction is Chester/Wilmington,another is Camden and the only other direction notable is towards King of Prussia or towards Bryn Mawr /Villanova areas.
I love Philly but its greater Philly area is lack luster compared to Atlanta.

You really couldn't have been outside of Atlanta in North Georgia down some back roads to know Georgia has plenty of Mountains, backwoods farms, hillbilly life, etc, heck the Dukes of Hazzard was a TV show in the late 70s, early 80s based off of Hillbilly life here in Georgia filmed right here in Conyers and Covington GA., not to mention Atlanta. I stopped in North Georgia out side of Dalton this weekend on my way back from Nashville and saw plenty and I know plenty just living here in Atlanta and Georgia. True denial! As far as the Philly/ Wilmington built up thing, I'm not even going to go there. Also why is being Hillbilly and having hillbilly's in Georgia such a bad thing. Is something wrong with being Hillbilly unless they are racist Hillbilly's. Georgia still has plenty of Hillbilly's, Country Blacks, yes is said it Country blacks and sense metro Atlanta has boomed plenty of transplants...You seem to forget Georgia is the heart of Dixie and majority white in spite of the high concentrations of blacks in urban areas and some blacks in smaller cities and towns.. We seem to be getting off subject with a lot of this because we were focusing on which feels most massive but I think people keep worrying if Atlanta will be looked at as a Country city which would affect the over all image of the city!

Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The reply was returning the snark.
Well if that’s the case, it failed. Let’s take a look:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And let's not act as though there aren't a bunch of hillbilly hollers in metro Philly. Last time I checked, Philly was still in Pennsylvania.
First of all, Philadelphia is still in PA. That is not likely to change anytime soon. But while parts of the 4 PA counties that make up part of the metro have some rolling hills, there are no true hollers I’m aware of. More importantly, I’m pretty sure most hillbillies couldn’t afford to live there. Chester, Montgomery, Bucks and Delaware rank as the four richest counties in the state, in that order.

If the poster is snarking on the rest of PA, that’s a different matter that might interest others. But hopefully we can put this whole hillbilly matter to rest.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
There is nothing really between Philly and Wilmington. that is notable in growth than outside in Atlanta. One direction is Chester/Wilmington,another is Camden and the only other direction notable is towards King of Prussia or towards Bryn Mawr /Villanova areas.
Since when does "notable in growth" correlate to being higher quality or, in your words, not "lack luster"?

How could you say that an area with numerous picturesque small towns connected to the center core city via train, numerous top-tier colleges and universities, numerous nationally-important historical sites and museums, well-above-average median incomes and pockets of tremendous wealth due to the jobs/hospitals/etc., top-tier public school districts and highly-regarded private schools, etc. be "lack luster" compared to Atlanta?

Old 07-10-2018, 07:07 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I think the issue is coming from people having this "how dare you compare a southern city to the northeast" attitude in regards to saying that Atlanta feels like a bigger more influential city.
This is where you lost me again. You said Atlanta feels like a bigger more influential CITY. I am pretty sure everyone is an agreement that Philadelphia is the clear winner in that category. This silly argument has gone into metro areas now.

Quote:
Atlanta have more federal agencies,international headquarters,diplomatic offices etc but that means nothing because Philly has a higher GDP and ranks higher in media markets?
Thats what Ive got out of this thread.People dismissing what the thread title is about using metrics that have nothing to do with the top.

Atlanta has 10 diplomatic offices.Philly has 4

Atlanta has more corporate clout

People bring up a GDP of Philly but Atlanta has caught up and will pass Philly within the next ten years by ALL estimates from official sources.
How can a city be so influential and have half diplomatic misions than a city roughly the same size metro?
Am I a booster if I say this sense to make sense to me?

GDP Growth Change 2015=2016
Philly-1.5%
ATL-2.1%

Whats the last big international event held in Philly?
What's the biggest company that has relocated to Philly in the last 10 years?
I mean these are questions that clearly show relevance to why companies and events select a city.
Some people are dismissing all these list and rankings but at the end of the day,if you arent really being discussed,then you are not influential or relevant.
The main reason for Philadelphia's lack of diplomatic offices is because New York and DC are a few hours away, so obviously they are going to locate in those cities. These are instances where Philadelphia'c location is a curse, nothing you can do about it.

And the Pope Visit was an international event in my eyes. I think Philadelphia has done a good job with its spotlight events over the past decade. And I am pretty sure Philadelphia is in the running as a host city for the World Cup and HQ2 and the Army HQ, and the nations only World Heritage City.
Quit acting like Philadelphia is a depressed forgotten about coal town. It is a major bustling city and metro area. The arrogance on here, I swear, I could be talking to someone from New York or London, but no, its Atlanta....

I think all rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, especially the picture you just posted. It puts Atlanta at a higher metric than DC... I guess that means Atlanta is more influential than DC now too.

I also think that metric is for City Proper. Philadelphia as a city does lack in luring large Fortune 500 type companies, but the suburbs do not. I think the area has 13 Fortune 500, and 7 of them are in the PA burbs (and several more private large firms like Vanguard), that is a higher reverse percentage than any other city. Those have come down to local and tax problems within Philadelphia, but the suburban region from an economic standpoint punches far above its weight.

Quote:
Im sorry but this post makes no sense to me.
How do presume if there was no subway Atlanta would not hace reached 5 million?Now if you said Airport then I could go with that,

That is the first time I have heard someone refer to the Philadelphia METRO as lackluster. This proves to me that you have not visited the region. The region is consistently ranked among the best and all around healthiest suburban regions in the nation. It even shows on CD threads comparisons. Philadelphia and Chicago actually.

Atlanta suburbs have beautiful areas as well, but Philadelphia burbs hold their own even against New York and Chicago. Look up any comparison.

The beauty (I see it as a positive) is that for many the Philadelphia suburbs fall under the radar compared to the general Atlanta area, same as the North Shore in Chicago, however, it does not make them any lesser or less influential because of that, or because they aren't growing as quickly.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-10-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 07:41 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Just a general note on the whole "Pennsyltucky"/James Carville thing (not that it's particularly relevant to this thread, but digressions seem to be en vogue):
  • In context, Carville was exclusively referring to the Republican-voting tendencies in Central PA. It was never meant to be a broader cultural comparison that so many folks have warped it into meaning.
  • Rural PA--and I imagine this applies to Rural GA, as well--is not uniform. It covers a wide swath of towns and cities, each with their own distinct history and subcultures.

I don't get the sense that anyone who's participated in this thread can comment with great authority on either rural Pennsylvania or rural Georgia, so let's just leave it at that. I don't mean that in a rude way, but it's a simple fact that "passing through" is never the same as truly living/being raised in a place.

Quote:
Here's where I think there's a disconnect. There's a presumption that growth automatically = good, and in many cases that's true. But there's a point where growth can actually majorly detract from quality of life and sense of place.

The Philly area overall is a very mature major urban region. Most of the area had its growth spurt in the 1850-1950 period. Certainly there's still growth these days, but it's overwhelmingly in already-developed or highly focused areas around major corridors and existing urban centers. It's very a quality (versus quantity) concerned type of place.

So, you can look at a raw comparison of growth rates an say that the region is "lackluster," but for many folks, myself included, that's a fallacious argument.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-10-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
You really couldn't have been outside of Atlanta in North Georgia down some back roads to know Georgia has plenty of Mountains, backwoods farms, hillbilly life, etc, heck the Dukes of Hazzard was a TV show in the late 70s, early 80s based off of Hillbilly life here in Georgia filmed right here in Conyers and Covington GA., not to mention Atlanta. I stopped in North Georgia out side of Dalton this weekend on my way back from Nashville and saw plenty and I know plenty just living here in Atlanta and Georgia. True denial! As far as the Philly/ Wilmington built up thing, I'm not even going to go there. Also why is being Hillbilly and having hillbilly's in Georgia such a bad thing. Is something wrong with being Hillbilly unless they are racist Hillbilly's. Georgia still has plenty of Hillbilly's, Country Blacks, yes is said it Country blacks and sense metro Atlanta has boomed plenty of transplants...You seem to forget Georgia is the heart of Dixie and majority white in spite of the high concentrations of blacks in urban areas and some blacks in smaller cities and towns.. We seem to be getting off subject with a lot of this because we were focusing on which feels most massive but I think people keep worrying if Atlanta will be looked at as a Country city which would affect the over all image of the city!
Are you from Georgia?Have you ever lived outside the Atlanta region?I have.

Mind you I gave you the hillbilly definition.Also mind you,North Georgia,particularly the area above Atlanta in the mountains is small geographically speaking as it pertains to the whole state.Not to mention the population in the North of GA is small.

Secondly my roots are in Georgia . I have family ALL over the state.I spent my younger years in South Georgia and I have lived in other parts of GA including Atlanta.I know it intimately.
Many of Georgia small towns are majority black.If not majority black its pretty split,whereas in the North its more that 80%.Its appropriate for that area for the use of that terminology,but still not a polite name to call people.

Hillbilly is an offensive term.I cant believe you would even act like thats acceptable that one would want to be to be called that. Regardless if it fits certain people,no one wants to be called a derogatory name.

Blacks can be and ARE "country" and I have no problem admitting that.Just like black people can be "ghetto".There is NO difference other than connotation of race.
I went to college with some blacks from Dalton/Calhoun GA.I spent many weekend hanging with them and their family and got to know the area so well I have no problems getting around and finding places.
The blacks their was the first time I saw black people speak and act like white people from that area.
Its weird because its kinda how some white people have lived in the hood around black people all their lives and speak in a black vernacular and adapt cultural hues like hair beading.

The way people act and talk is Southern in the South still but its much different If you lived in these areas or spent as much time in these areas,you'd know what Im talking about.Its subtle in many cases but its different.

My point is you seem to completely ignore that these similarities exist in both states in their rural areas.One of NASCARS largest markets is in PA.
For generations,mountain people from the upper Appalachians in West Virginia have headed to Ohio and PA.Lancaster ,PA comes to mind.
Only a little more than an hour from Philly.Ive been to that area and I can attest to it being no different than down South.
Read number #3
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Why does PA have so many more Meth users and labs than GA?

Speaking of Meth,how and why has nobody mentioned Kennsington?
If you know anything about Philly,you know its the single handed most ,redneck hillbilly,part of the city where nothing in Atlanta can compare.Atlanta used to have Cabbagetown residents years ago who were similar but they are long gone,Nobody except people from Atlanta knows about the history of that area which in some ways very similar to Kennsington.

I know EXACTLY what Atlanta and GA is but you dont seem to know what is Philly and PA is.Thats my point.Some of you are suggesting this is only a Southern or GA thing and its simply not.

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2018 at 02:10 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Metro Philly certainly has its sprawl, as do all American cities, but much less than most and certainly compared to Atlanta which has experienced poorly planned growth and sprawl, esp in the last 40 years.

Public transit is the key. The Philadelphia region has, since the mid-19th century, grown along rapid transit and commuter rail lines. The commuter rail lines, now called "regional rail", were built by the Pennsylvania and Reading railroads starting in 1839 (the date the line now called the Chestnut Hill East was first developed). The Pennsylvania RR famously built the "Main Line" and developed towns along the stations through Montgomery and Chester counties. These rail lines, now 13 in number, saw similar development throughout the Pennsylvania side of Philly and why so many Philly burbs have a Main Street, small-town walkable feel about them -- development grew near these train stations and this has remained largely in tact.

In suburban Delaware County, urbanized development occurred at Upper Darby in/around the Market El's 69th Street terminal which opened in 1907 and, then, residential areas sprung up along the interurban rail lines that fanned out from this terminal -- the remaining so called "Red Arrow" lines are today's Norristown High Speed (3rd rail) line and the Media and Sharon Hill trolley lines. A one trolley line out West Chester Pike to West Chester was converted into a bus line long ago but the development the trolley line spawned of course is still in tact.

Atlanta, like most sprawling cities, grew up along freeways.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Atlanta only because it is so many counties. Philly obviously has the density.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Atlanta have more federal agencies,international headquarters,diplomatic offices etc but that means nothing because Philly has a higher GDP and ranks higher in media markets?
Thats what Ive got out of this thread.People dismissing what the thread title is about using metrics that have nothing to do with the top.

Atlanta has 10 diplomatic offices.Philly has 4

Atlanta has more corporate clout

People bring up a GDP of Philly but Atlanta has caught up and will pass Philly within the next ten years by ALL estimates from official sources.
How can a city be so influential and have half diplomatic misions than a city roughly the same size metro?
Am I a booster if I say this sense to make sense to me?

GDP Growth Change 2015=2016
Philly-1.5%
ATL-2.1%

Whats the last big international event held in Philly?
What's the biggest company that has relocated to Philly in the last 10 years?
I mean these are questions that clearly show relevance to why companies and events select a city.
Some people are dismissing all these list and rankings but at the end of the day,if you arent really being discussed,then you are not influential or relevant.
Federal agencies, international headquarters, diplomatic offices, GDP, international events, media influence, etc. really have nothing to do with the topic at hand either. Since Atlanta and Philly are peer metros, there aren't too many differences between the two in most categories such as the ones you cited and where there are notable differences, Atlanta's relative isolation and status as the undisputed hub of its region serves as a major reason.

In terms of how massive or expansive each metro feels compared to the other, it essentially comes down to differences in development patterns and geography (bodies of water, proximity to other states and major metros). Atlanta sprawls more and does so unobstructed in all directions within one state with no major metros nearby, thus giving the metro a more expansive or massive feel compared to Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City