Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 AM

923 posts, read 655,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Just a general note on the whole "Pennsyltucky"/James Carville thing (not that it's particularly relevant to this thread, but digressions seem to be en vogue):
  • In context, Carville was exclusively referring to the Republican-voting tendencies in Central PA. It was never meant to be a broader cultural comparison that so many folks have warped it into meaning.
  • Rural PA--and I imagine this applies to Rural GA, as well--is not uniform. It covers a wide swath of towns and cities, each with their own distinct history and subcultures.

I don't get the sense that anyone who's participated in this thread can comment with great authority on either rural Pennsylvania or rural Georgia, so let's just leave it at that. I don't mean that in a rude way, but it's a simple fact that "passing through" is never the same as truly living/being raised in a place.

Here's where I think there's a disconnect. There's a presumption that growth automatically = good, and in many cases that's true. But there's a point where growth can actually majorly detract from quality of life and sense of place.

The Philly area overall is a very mature major urban region. Most of the area had its growth spurt in the 1850-1950 period. Certainly there's still growth these days, but it's overwhelmingly in already-developed or highly focused areas around major corridors and existing urban centers. It's very a quality (versus quantity) concerned type of place.

So, you can look at a raw comparison of growth rates an say that the region is "lackluster," but for many folks, myself included, that's a fallacious argument.
I've not just "passed" through.I know both states intimately. Ive lived in both parts(rural and urban) and have family in both states.
Ive visited friends who live in rural areas of both states.So I can comment on with authority.More so GA than PZ but I have enough time spent there that constitutes more than just "passing through."
Even those places in rural PA where I was just passing through,you can see the same poverty,signs of rural life you see in the South.

As far as growth outiside of PA towards Wilmington its just a reality that the same distance going in any direction from Atlanta,it booming in comparison.
Cities like Gainesville ,GA have grown an average of 33% in the last 20 years.
Even further North is Dahlonega which is growing also.North Georgia College and a strong tourist,real estate market is causing a good bit of growth.Its in te mountains.It grew 44% from 2000-10.

Villa Rica is another hour away from downtown to the west.It too is growing much faster than any place that far outside of Philly that far as much as I know.(I could be wrong,please provide stats if so)
Quote:
The growth boom
Over most of its 180-year history, Villa Rica was a small rural railroad and factory town with a fairly stable population of around 4,000 people. This is in spite of the fact that it is located only an hour from downtown Atlanta. However, throughout the 1990s, a 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) tract of land surrounding a 210-acre (0.85 km2) lake known as both Val-Da-Mar Lake and Stockmar Lake got a lot of interest from developers.
What finally occurred was the creation of a subdivision named Mirror Lake which supplied the oft-named lake with a third name. At the time the subdivision was proposed, Villa Rica had approximately 1,500 homes. The Mirror Lake subdivision added over 2,000 homes in its original proposal, and subsequent changes and additions have increased that number so that there will be almost 3,000 residences by the time the project is fully completed.

The substantial investment in Mirror Lake inspired other developers to begin proposing other projects around Villa Rica. Though the other developments were on a much smaller scale, all of the other building projects combined almost matched the Mirror Lake project in total number of residences.
They are stagnant urban areas that have little or no growth like those toward Wilmington with its own high crime and poverty rates,Or closer in Chester..Only towards the area North of Philly ,really do you see that much growth.Also past Camden maybe Cherry Hill/Marlton areas.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Federal agencies, international headquarters, diplomatic offices, GDP, international events, media influence, etc. really have nothing to do with the topic at hand either. Since Atlanta and Philly are peer metros, there aren't too many differences between the two in most categories such as the ones you cited and where there are notable differences, Atlanta's relative isolation and status as the undisputed hub of its region serves as a major reason.

In terms of how massive or expansive each metro feels compared to the other, it essentially comes down to differences in development patterns and geography (bodies of water, proximity to other states and major metros). Atlanta sprawls more and does so unobstructed in all directions within one state with no major metros nearby, thus giving the metro a more expansive or massive feel compared to Philly.
Someone mentioned influence and maybe I did get off track but I was just following what other posters were commenting on.If thats the case,I stand my ground,but you are right,its not the topic.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Since when does "notable in growth" correlate to being higher quality or, in your words, not "lack luster"?

How could you say that an area with numerous picturesque small towns connected to the center core city via train, numerous top-tier colleges and universities, numerous nationally-important historical sites and museums, well-above-average median incomes and pockets of tremendous wealth due to the jobs/hospitals/etc., top-tier public school districts and highly-regarded private schools, etc. be "lack luster" compared to Atlanta?
??I never said it was "higher quality".Lack luster refers to growth and vitality

Overall in growth is more prevalent in Atlanta's suburbs and further out than in Philly region.
.Many of Atlanta suburbs and exurbs are among the fastest growing in the country. Doesnt mean that there are not nice wonderful picturesque places worth living around Philly.
I have family in Paoli and I find that places beautiful and historic.
If its a comparison related to development and how each area is growing,than Philly looses this argument

Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,444,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Are you from Georgia?Have you ever lived outside the Atlanta region?I have.

Mind you I gave you the hillbilly definition.Also mind you,North Georgia,particularly the area above Atlanta in the mountains is small geographically speaking as it pertains to the whole state.Not to mention the population in the North of GA is small.

Secondly my roots are in Georgia . I have family ALL over the state.I spent my younger years in South Georgia and I have lived in other parts of GA including Atlanta.I know it intimately.
Many of Georgia small towns are majority black.If not majority black its pretty split,whereas in the North its more that 80%.Its appropriate for that area for the use of that terminology,but still not a polite name to call people.

Hillbilly is an offensive term.I cant believe you would even act like thats acceptable that one would want to be to be called that. Regardless if it fits certain people,no one wants to be called a derogatory name.

Blacks can be and ARE "country" and I have no problem admitting that.Just like black people can be "ghetto".There is NO difference other than connotation of race.
I went to college with some blacks from Dalton/Calhoun GA.I spent many weekend hanging with them and their family and got to know the area so well I have no problems getting around and finding places.
The blacks their was the first time I saw black people speak and act like white people from that area.
Its weird because its kinda how some white people have lived in the hood around black people all their lives and speak in a black vernacular and adapt cultural hues like hair beading.

The way people act and talk is Southern in the South still but its much different If you lived in these areas or spent as much time in these areas,you'd know what Im talking about.Its subtle in many cases but its different.

My point is you seem to completely ignore that these similarities exist in both states in their rural areas.One of NASCARS largest markets is in PA.
For generations,mountain people from the upper Appalachians in West Virginia have headed to Ohio and PA.Lancaster ,PA comes to mind.
Only a little more than an hour from Philly.Ive been to that area and I can attest to it being no different than down South.
Read number #3
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Why does PA have so many more Meth users and labs than GA?

Speaking of Meth,how and why has nobody mentioned Kennsington?
If you know anything about Philly,you know its the single handed most ,redneck hillbilly,part of the city where nothing in Atlanta can compare.Atlanta used to have Cabbagetown residents years ago who were similar but they are long gone,Nobody except people from Atlanta knows about the history of that area which in some ways very similar to Kennsington.

I know EXACTLY what Atlanta and GA is but you dont seem to know what is Philly and PA is.Thats my point.Some of you are suggesting this is only a Southern or GA thing and its simply not.
I'm from Georgia and have lived in the Philly Area!! No more to explain here coming from me, I already know what it is and have no reason to lie or be bias.. Not sure how or why a Meth diagram got into which metro feels most massive

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2018 at 03:11 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This is where you lost me again. You said Atlanta feels like a bigger more influential CITY. I am pretty sure everyone is an agreement that Philadelphia is the clear winner in that category. This silly argument has gone into metro areas now.

The main reason for Philadelphia's lack of diplomatic offices is because New York and DC are a few hours away, so obviously they are going to locate in those cities. These are instances where Philadelphia'c location is a curse, nothing you can do about it.

And the Pope Visit was an international event in my eyes. I think Philadelphia has done a good job with its spotlight events over the past decade. And I am pretty sure Philadelphia is in the running as a host city for the World Cup and HQ2 and the Army HQ, and the nations only World Heritage City.
Quit acting like Philadelphia is a depressed forgotten about coal town. It is a major bustling city and metro area. The arrogance on here, I swear, I could be talking to someone from New York or London, but no, its Atlanta....

I think all rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, especially the picture you just posted. It puts Atlanta at a higher metric than DC... I guess that means Atlanta is more influential than DC now too.

I also think that metric is for City Proper. Philadelphia as a city does lack in luring large Fortune 500 type companies, but the suburbs do not. I think the area has 13 Fortune 500, and 7 of them are in the PA burbs (and several more private large firms like Vanguard), that is a higher reverse percentage than any other city. Those have come down to local and tax problems within Philadelphia, but the suburban region from an economic standpoint punches far above its weight.

That is the first time I have heard someone refer to the Philadelphia METRO as lackluster. This proves to me that you have not visited the region. The region is consistently ranked among the best and all around healthiest suburban regions in the nation. It even shows on CD threads comparisons. Philadelphia and Chicago actually.

Atlanta suburbs have beautiful areas as well, but Philadelphia burbs hold their own even against New York and Chicago. Look up any comparison.

The beauty (I see it as a positive) is that for many the Philadelphia suburbs fall under the radar compared to the general Atlanta area, same as the North Shore in Chicago, however, it does not make them any lesser or less influential because of that, or because they aren't growing as quickly.
Not a good argument for why Philly has so little diplomatic missions.
Philly is close to those cites but yet it still has 4 missions.Why have 4 and not 10 or more?Why have any if they are so close to other cities?Philly is 2 hrs from NYC which has 117.
Boston is 4 hrs.
Boston has more than 12.It close to NYC,Baltimore has none for very obvious reasons.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I'm from Georgia and have lived in the Philly Area!! No more to explain here coming from me, I already know what it is and have no reason to lie or be bias..
Being from Atlanta doesnt make you know GA.Dito about Philly vs PA.
Even if you do know more about GA ,it still doesnt change the fact that you dont seem to know much about PA outside of Philly.For comparison sake,this is why it seems you only keep saying GA is this way.Thats just not true.PA is also.
Anyway you were the one that questioned my knowledge and understanding first. My point was mentioned in the end about both states having that element.Never said GA didnt.I did say the wording based on the definition does not fit the whole state.
PA has those same ares that are as redneck and Hillbilly.Thats my point but you keep reading something that not there.
Why people can accept these things about GA but not Philly is puzziling.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Being from Atlanta doesnt make you know GA.Dito about Philly vs PA.
Even if you do know more about GA ,it still doesnt change the fact that you dont seem to know much about PA outside of Philly.For comparison sake,this is why it seems you only keep saying GA is this way.Thats just not true.PA is also.
Anyway you were the one that questioned my knowledge and understanding first. My point was mentioned in the end about both states having that element.Never said GA didnt.I did say the wording based on the definition does not fit the whole state.
PA has those same ares that are as redneck and Hillbilly.Thats my point but you keep reading something that not there.
Why people can accept these things about GA but not Philly is puzziling.

You have proved some major points but case rested here with me!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Not a good argument for why Philly has so little diplomatic missions.
Philly is close to those cites but yet it still has 4 missions.Why have 4 and not 10 or more?Why have any if they are so close to other cities?Philly is 2 hrs from NYC which has 117.
Boston is 4 hrs.
Boston has more than 12.It close to NYC,Baltimore has none for very obvious reasons.
Actually it's a very good and reasonable answer as to why Philly doesn't have as many diplomatic missions--it is sandwiched between the nation's capital and the nation's largest metropolis, both in relatively easy driving distance.

Boston is further removed from NYC and, like Atlanta, serves as the defacto hub of its region (New England) so it makes sense that it has more diplomatic missions than Philly.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually it's a very good and reasonable answer as to why Philly doesn't have as many diplomatic missions--it is sandwiched between the nation's capital and the nation's largest metropolis, both in relatively easy driving distance.

Boston is further removed from NYC and, like Atlanta, serves as the defacto hub of its region (New England) so it makes sense that it has more diplomatic missions than Philly.

That makes perfect sense Mutiny,, Agreed

Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
LOL that's me.... You do know it refers more to being the RED part of the state right? Not hillbilly's and Good ole' boys. But has perverted to that.
The reference is to hillbillies because central PA is Appalachia and the term originated as a way to describe mountain folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City