Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,881,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^See the OP and see the post above yours. There is something missing either with your comprehension or your familiarity with both metros, or a combination of the two. Not to mention Atlanta is very clearly a "metro".
Nice personal attack buddy, really hurts. Show where I said Atlanta isn't a metro?

Also, I visit Philadelphia more than 20 times per year. I've been to Atlanta more than 30 times in my life.

Quote:
It may be sprawly, but it also fans out around one of the largest CBDs and dense clusters of important "things" in the entire country. Not sure where your line of thinking is that Philly has a metropolitan area/MSA and Atlanta does not simply because Atlanta's sprawls more.
It is quite sprawly, the most actually.
Report: Atlanta is the most sprawling big metro in the U.S. - Atlanta Magazine

Atlanta's downtown has 142,759 jobs in its CBD (Which is #24 in the country, , its the 10th largest MSA in the country). Cities that have more jobs in their CBD's that are SMALLER than Atlanta: Las Vegas, Seattle, Irvine CA, Minneapolis, Austin TX, Denver, Portland OR, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, Baltimore.

Philadelphia has 288,227 (201.8% more) (Which is #10 in the country, while it is the 7th largest MSA in the country).

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

Quote:
By definition an MSA doesn't have to have an uber dense city core.
Again, show where I said that it did.

Quote:
Most don't. Atlanta's core is also probably denser than you realize,
I've been to Atlanta plenty of times in my life. It is not that dense, and its statistically proven above.

Quote:
and it also has a huge concentration of big city amenities, like world-renowned research universities, one of the largest convention centers, and tens of thousands of hotel rooms,
It should! You aren't trying to prove Shreveport, LA has a vibrant downtown. Your trying to prove the United States 10th largest MSA has amenities it very well should have. If it didn't, that would be plain sad.

Quote:
not to mention about the same amount of office space that Philly has, along with high rise condos/apartments exceeding 50 stories in height.
Prove this statistic.

Quote:
These aren't things that teeny little towns or leafy suburbs have (though frankly Atlanta's suburbs do too, but that's an oddity).
In summary. Back up your ridiculous claims with facts.

Last edited by speagles84; 12-16-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 06:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Philadelphia. Not because it's so dense but because of Atlanta's low density sprawl. The other major southern cities feel larger than Philly, to me.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
I can't believe so many are voting for Philly. Are they doing it just in spite? Because Philly "feels" MUCH smaller than Atlanta outside of Center City and even downtown and midtown Atlanta give Center City Philly some good competition.

I know Philly is more dense and is much busier at the urban street level, but personally, I feel like Atlanta blows away Philly with this specific topic.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I can't believe so many are voting for Philly. Are they doing it just in spite? Because Philly "feels" MUCH smaller than Atlanta outside of Center City and even downtown and midtown Atlanta give Center City Philly some good competition.

I know Philly is more dense and is much busier at the urban street level, but personally, I feel like Atlanta blows away Philly with this specific topic.
Nothing out of spite. Philly's edge cities and suburban towns also feel more dense at the urban street level. Atlanta is more car-oriented and sprawls further, but it is of lower density in its sprawl.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Atlanta's downtown has 142,759 jobs in its CBD (Which is #24 in the country, , its the 10th largest MSA in the country). Cities that have more jobs in their CBD's that are SMALLER than Atlanta: Las Vegas, Seattle, Irvine CA, Minneapolis, Austin TX, Denver, Portland OR, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, Baltimore.

Philadelphia has 288,227 (201.8% more) (Which is #10 in the country, while it is the 7th largest MSA in the country).

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

I've been to Atlanta plenty of times in my life. It is not that dense, and its statistically proven above.
Although Atlanta's CBD only includes downtown proper, the core of the city includes Midtown which would give Atlanta 247K jobs. The article's methodology is somewhat limiting for cities that have more than one large employment center within their cores.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although Atlanta's CBD only includes downtown proper, the core of the city includes Midtown which would give Atlanta 247K jobs. The article's methodology is somewhat limiting for cities that have more than one large employment center within their cores.
Yes but this also excludes U City which is actually more tightly connected than Midtown and DT in Atlanta

Atlanta DT/MT 244K jobs and 140K residents within one mile of them
Philly CC/UC 390K jobs and 286K residents within one mile of them

Also the job density (and residential density) is much tighter in Philly - CC is 203 jobs per acre and DT Atlanta is 88 job per acre. U City is 85 jobs per acre and MT is 33 jobs per acre as a comparison

Still difference but can definitely see how Atlanta especially from the highways would feel larger as a metro - definitely not DT on the streets

Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,480,726 times
Quote:

Once again, this topic is completely subjective to begin with. There is no right answer when it comes to how something "feels," because it's entirely qualitative and completely depends on individual experiences.

Hence, I think the overall answer for the OP is "it depends." The much more bustling, dense nature of Philly's urban core absolutely can allow it to feel much larger than a more decentralized city like Atlanta. But if we're talking about a moderately dense edge city outside of a traditional CBD -- which is much more common in the Atlanta area compared to Philly -- I can definitely see arguments for Atlanta.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes but this also excludes U City which is actually more tightly connected than Midtown and DT in Atlanta

Atlanta DT/MT 244K jobs and 140K residents within one mile of them
Philly CC/UC 390K jobs and 286K residents within one mile of them

Also the job density (and residential density) is much tighter in Philly - CC is 203 jobs per acre and DT Atlanta is 88 job per acre. U City is 85 jobs per acre and MT is 33 jobs per acre as a comparison

Still difference but can definitely see how Atlanta especially from the highways would feel larger as a metro - definitely not DT on the streets
Oh I know Philly would still win when looking at core employment and residential, but I just wanted to point out how the study's methodology was limited by only looking at CBD--although it's understandable because it's more or less a standardized way to look at things.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Atlanta's sprawling skyline and wide freeways give it an edge, I will admit, but overall I'd still have to say Philadelphia feels larger. In much of Atlanta, pretty much all you can see is trees in every direction. This is not at all a bad thing, but it does take away from the urban feel, in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,600,572 times
Quote:

HAHA what? First, this is a subjective poll. There really isn't a right or wrong. Obviously the majority FEEL as if Philadelphia feels larger.

Second, Midtown and Downtown ATL give Center City Philly good competition? HAHA, no. Not even close. Center City has more jobs, residents, hotel rooms, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc. etc. than both Midtown and Downtown ATL combined.

BTW, Midtown and Downtown ATL are about the same size in square mileage as Center City alone. Throw in University City into the equation for Philadelphia and Philadelphia's core absolutely demolishes ATL in every single measurable and statistical metric.

Midtown and Downtown Atlanta: 2.38 square miles
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7704...tMx0D3TE?hl=en

Center City and University City Philadelphia: 3.81 square miles
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kygLBzfP-a0s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City