Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we live?
San Francisco 8 50.00%
Chicago 4 25.00%
Boston 2 12.50%
Durham 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,300 times

Advertisements

We are a LGBT couple who will hopefully have a baby shortly and are moving next year. We're originally from Miami but living in Baltimore for residency now and cannot wait to leave! Our next choices are SF, Chicago, Boston or Durham (the job for my wife will be at UCSF, NW, MassGen or Duke...all equally awesome programs)

What we do: long walks with our rescue mutt, the beach, being outdoors, eating outdoors, going to the park, seeing the sun, going to the best musicals, eating fantastic food 3-4x week, watching live sporting events, going to food truck rallies, concerts and fairs, comedy shows, the ballet, basically anything that doesn't involve staying home, Yelp elite events, etc.

I'd love to give up one car but not necessary. I've lived in NY, PA, Miami, OR, MO and now MD.

Oh, and we'll be adding a baby to the mix and also we have family in New Mexico and New York (they couldn't get any further apart, I know!)

Any advice and please take the poll!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraleigh10 View Post
We are a LGBT couple who will hopefully have a baby shortly and are moving next year. We're originally from Miami but living in Baltimore for residency now and cannot wait to leave! Our next choices are SF, Chicago, Boston or Durham (the job for my wife will be at UCSF, NW, MassGen or Duke...all equally awesome programs)

What we do: long walks with our rescue mutt, the beach, being outdoors, eating outdoors, going to the park, seeing the sun, going to the best musicals, eating fantastic food 3-4x week, watching live sporting events, going to food truck rallies, concerts and fairs, comedy shows, the ballet, basically anything that doesn't involve staying home, Yelp elite events, etc.

I'd love to give up one car but not necessary. I've lived in NY, PA, Miami, OR, MO and now MD.

Oh, and we'll be adding a baby to the mix and also we have family in New Mexico and New York (they couldn't get any further apart, I know!)

Thanks!
Where is Baltistupid? Not taking your poll...can't take this seriously.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,300 times
Really? My entire post is thoughtful and true and I even say that I live in Baltimore in the body. Thanks for posting you serious serious man!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,283,932 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Based on your preferences definitely a toss up between Boston, SF and Chicago. You can accomplish all of the cultural and food related activities along with the natural urban features you are seeking.

It really comes down to weather and the quality of the residency program you have been offered (BTW, congrats, those are some exceptions residency programs)

Boston location wise is closer to your family in NYC than Chicago or SF are to New Mexico. Weather wise as mentioned is better in SF unless you are a cold weather person. Finally Boston is considered one of, if not the premier medical center in the US and arguably the planet. MGH is also the highest ranked hospital system of your choices.

You really have some great options. If I was presented with the option to live in either Boston, SF or Chicago I would not be an unhappy camper in the least.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
We are a LGBT couple
Youre a "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender" couple?

Go with Chicago. You cant lose there. Plus, its cheaper than San Fran and Boston, with more to do.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Assuming the salaries are comparable, Chicago may be the best fit since your money will go farther and you'll still find all of the amenities you're looking for. Of course, Chicago winters can be brutal (So can Boston's).

When I read your post, my gut said San Francisco. It's arguably the best city for all that you're looking for (though Boston and Chicago, especially Chicago, are no slouches). Chicago is one of my favorite food cities in the U.S. San Francisco has the reputation, but Chicago has an outstanding culinary scene and some cutting edge chefs. I think San Francisco would be what you expect with regards to the food, but Chicago would be a real pleasant surprise. Boston is good too, but a notch below both Chicago and SF.

Boston and San Francisco have the best beaches (Chicago has some good beaches, but there's a difference between the lake and the ocean as far as I'm concerned), though San Francisco's are the best for year-round access. I think SF is a better place to have a dog as there is much better outdoor access. Boston wins for swimming though (SF water is freezing year round).

Concerts, shows, etc. are probably equal (or close enough) in Boston, Chicago and SF. Boston and Chicago have much better local comedy scenes though. Ditto for live sports.

I'd give the slight edge to SF, with Chicago a near second and Boston a very close third. I think the salary is going to be the defining factor and in this case, that's alright. Go where your money takes you furthest because the rest is too close to definitively put any of these cities on top of the other (except Raleigh... it's fine for many things, but it's not in the conversation based on your criteria).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City