U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 52.63%
Los Angeles 72 47.37%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
1. I'm not a "she" or a "her". I'm male.

2. I'll be out of town for the next few days and am not taking my laptop with me. I won't waste my ipad battery life, time, or energy to check the forums on citydata, let alone post. I'll also be surrounded by family and be expected to socialize with them.

3. I'm done arguing with you as I was requested not to use citydata forum as a "bickering playground."

4. We're going to pass through the mountains on this trip we're going on and will make a stop to romp and play in the snow! While I'd hate to live in a climate that got snow regularly at winter, it's still fun to visit once in a while and one of the perks of living in Southern California rather than a tropical or warm subtropical climate, is, for us, snow is a short drive away!

5. Do you want to build a snowman? I am going hopefully make one later today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUEk3oWnVY
Agree, I'm tired of arguing, the problem is that CA is a place of microclimates and when we talk about it's weather that is where our arguements come from

I'm going to Redlands tomorrow and probably get some pics of the nearby mountains with snow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,030,015 times
Hey it snows in Hawaii and yet called tropical, Miami as Koppen classified it as MONSOON TROPICAL(Rains like crazy), I am going with that, yes I would say Miami is more pleasant than LA in winter, outside of that brutal humidity.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 PM

7,601 posts, read 9,792,260 times
Miami is not that humid in the winter.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,375,665 times
The pissing contest over which city is warmer in the winter is silly and misses the point. The real benefit of LA's weather is that is generally has a dry, Mediterranean climate. It never gets too cold in the winter (although its definitely colder than Miami in the winter as many of you have pointed out), and it generally doesn't get too hot in the summer. The temperature doesn't drift too far from the ideal ambient temperature for humans: 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Its called a mediterranean climate, and its well known to be the most comfortable and desirable climate on the planet. Ver few regions have it, because it only occurs around 40 degrees N and 40 degrees S latitude and must also be adjacent to one of the planet's 5 subtropical high pressure cells. There are only 5 locations on the planet where Mediterranean climates occur, and California is one of them:

Mediterranean Basin
California Coast
Western and South Australia
Southwestern South Africa
Central Chile

That's it. Miami's tropical climate is nice too and might be a bit warmer in the winter but it doesn't compare as favorably to LA's Mediterranean climate. Its far hotter on average, far wetter, and is subject to tropical storms. Also, BUGS. I don't think I've ever seen a gnat or mosquito in LA.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM

1,057 posts, read 740,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think you can discount Minneapolis for nice weather in the winter and even Seattle for that matter.
OMG!
WORST ADVICE EVER!
I lived in MLPS for 21 years and hand down has the worst weather in the country.

Let me unpack it for you.
The Twin Cities are in the Mississippi river valley and are only about 700ft above sea level.
Cold Air Sinks.
Compared to nearby areas, MSP gets the crap.

In the Summer time, wet air sinks. MSP makes Orlando look like an arid climate.

I can write many positive things about the TC., But weather simply isn't one of them.

MSP has the most progressive park system in the country, but no amount of hipness nor even Prince can make up for the pathetic weather patterns that plague this part of the country.

Truth Be Out.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,375,665 times
Relevant:

Temps Just Fell Below 60 in DTLA For the First Time in 375 Days - The Weather - Curbed LA

Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,929,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Detroit does.
LMFAO!!! I wish I could rep you for that. That one gave me a pretty good laugh.

OT: I voted for LA but then I saw that Miami was winning which made me reread the title, then I realized that I missed the word "winter". I do believe Miami stays warmer in the winter than LA.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM

16,131 posts, read 26,936,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
The pissing contest over which city is warmer in the winter is silly and misses the point. The real benefit of LA's weather is that is generally has a dry, Mediterranean climate. It never gets too cold in the winter (although its definitely colder than Miami in the winter as many of you have pointed out), and it generally doesn't get too hot in the summer. The temperature doesn't drift too far from the ideal ambient temperature for humans: 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Its called a mediterranean climate, and its well known to be the most comfortable and desirable climate on the planet. Ver few regions have it, because it only occurs around 40 degrees N and 40 degrees S latitude and must also be adjacent to one of the planet's 5 subtropical high pressure cells. There are only 5 locations on the planet where Mediterranean climates occur, and California is one of them:

Mediterranean Basin
California Coast
Western and South Australia
Southwestern South Africa
Central Chile

That's it. Miami's tropical climate is nice too and might be a bit warmer in the winter but it doesn't compare as favorably to LA's Mediterranean climate. Its far hotter on average, far wetter, and is subject to tropical storms. Also, BUGS. I don't think I've ever seen a gnat or mosquito in LA.
Well the point is which one has nicer weather in WINTER, anyone talking about the overall climate year round is actually missing the point, which there seems to be several people in this thread doing so.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 AM

12,503 posts, read 20,090,563 times
While I'm enjoying my 77 degree late morning, I thought that I'd add another dimension to this discussion: Daylight!
Today the Sun will set in Miami at 5:45 PM; in Los Angeles the Sun will set at 4:59 PM.
Tomorrow AM, the Sun will rise 9 minutes earlier in LA than in Miami but I'll take 46 extra minutes in the afternoon.
For me, this is a no brainer advantage for Miami over Los Angeles in the Winter.
That said, I suppose I'll now see some verbal gymnastics about how having less daylight in the Winter is an advantage for Los Angeles.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-07-2015 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 09:55 AM

16,131 posts, read 26,936,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
While I'm enjoying my 77 degree late morning, I thought that I'd add another dimension to this discussion: Daylight!
Today the Sun will set in Miami at 5:45 PM; in Los Angeles the Sun will set at 4:59 PM.
Tomorrow AM, the Sun will rise 9 minutes earlier in LA than in Miami but I'll take 46 extra minutes in the afternoon.
For me, this is a no brainer advantage for Miami over Los Angeles in the Winter.
That said, I suppose I'll now see some verbal gymnastics about how having less daylight in the Winter is an advantage for Los Angeles.
Less exposure to the sun and therefor less risk of skin cancer in winter. Suck it Miami!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or