U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 52.63%
Los Angeles 72 47.37%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:30 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,422,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
90F? LA might be a little too hot for me in the winter. 90 is too high. Miami is a nice and cool 75 F. I guess LA really is warmer. But a little too warm.
L.A hits 90 in winter on occasion but the low will still be about 50 which means cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon. The air is bone dry and the heat only lasts for a couple of hours so the pools remain too cold to swim. If the low is going to be 50, I'd prefer a high of 70 or so. If the high is going to be 90, I want a low between 65-70. I don't like having to wear a sweatshirt, long pants, and socks and shoes in the morning to change to shorts, a tank top, and sandals in the afternoon back to warmer clothes after sunset.

Miami has never seen 90 F in January but has seen plenty of lows in the 70s. L.A. rarely even gets lows above 60 in winter so swimming in an unheated outdoor pool isn't really feasible in winter, even during heat waves.

I'd much rather our winters be more consistent with lows around 50 and highs around 70 with an occasional 80 +, and rain twice a week. I hate it that L.A. rarely gets temperatures above 70 F on a day it rains and that our rain is always "cold" (by our standards anyway, rain falls in the 50-64 F range here while our sunny winter days usually top off in the 65-75 range).
It makes many Angelenos hate rain because it makes them cold.

If we don't get rain, we have the drought crisis but we have to sacrifice warmth and sun to get a steady supply of rain on the West Coast. The air quality during our winter heat waves is so ugly and I'll happily trade 90 F and smoggy for a couple of days a week of 55 F and rainy but it's not up to me; mother nature will sic drought upon us as she wishes.

I like how in Florida, the rain is usually warm and comes hard and fast with plenty of sunshine possible on a day that gets a good downpour.

L.A's infrastructure is not equipped to deal with heavy rain either; we get an inch in a day, and havoc takes place with mudslides, car crashes, flooding, etc. Everyone complains about being c-c-c-c-cold and wet.

I am considering moving to Fort Lauderdale in a couple of years to work for a family friend who owns a resort there. I will enjoy the warm tropical downpours in summer, lots of beach time year round, and some variability in the winters. I'd even enjoy an occasional cold snap because it will still be in the comfort range. I am also looking forward to lower COL, cleaner air, and no state tax.

I know that most people prefer L.A's low humidity and dry summers but I'm ready for a change of pace.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 01-09-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It was most definitely not 90 degrees in Los Angeles, yesterday.
Yesterday it wasn't, it was 3 days ago

Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
It was most definitely not 90 degrees in Los Angeles, yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
90F? LA might be a little too hot for me in the winter. 90 is too high. Miami is a nice and cool 75 F. I guess LA really is warmer. But a little too warm.
We aren't warmer in winter, LA AREA AVERAGES from mid 60s in the coolest microclimates and low 70s in the warmest microclimates. (Highs)

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 01-09-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
L.A hits 90 in winter on occasion I hate it that L.A. rarely gets temperatures above 70 F on a day it rains and that our rain is always "cold"
We will see about that this Sunday.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,387,696 times
Miami, along with the rest of South Florida, punctuates just how warm and tranquil the subtropical climate of the US Coastal South is, to the point that a full-fledged tropical climate can exist outside the tropics, complete with the characteristic environments from tropical rain-forests to well developed coral reefs, and to mangrove forests, and coconut beaches. The entire Coastal South in general, from the Gulf Coast, to the South Atlantic, up to North Carolina's Outer-banks, offers nice and tranquil escapes from the grips of winter.

That being said, Los Angeles also is a great place for mild winter weather, as is many other parts of the Southwestern US, like Southern Arizona. The US is just so lucky to have so many areas where winter can be escaped, from the Southwestern US, to the Gulf Coast/South Atlantic.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:13 AM

14,218 posts, read 23,791,875 times
^^^What can be grown in South Florida can't be grown in other parts of the coastal South.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:35 AM

6,303 posts, read 7,856,140 times
This is like asking which is nicer, Hawaii or the Caribbean........

Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,302,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Yesterday it wasn't, it was 3 days ago
Seems you rounded that number up. It was 85.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Seems you rounded that number up. It was 85.
Seems I didn't, I don't live in usc or south LA.

National Weather Service - NWS Los Angeles/Oxnard

Jan 6 at 2:57

Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,302,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Seems I didn't, I don't live in usc or south LA.

National Weather Service - NWS Los Angeles/Oxnard

Jan 6 at 2:57
Are you in the actual city of Los Angeles or in Los Angeles County? It didn't hit 90 where I am, in the actual city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or