U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 52.63%
Los Angeles 72 47.37%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,027,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The average winter low at LAX is 49 in Dec and Jan. Not sure how you're going to get a average low of 49 if only 10% of winter nights drop into the 40's. Btw Tuesday through Saturday will see lows 45 or below at LAX.

Let me guess, LA-Mex is using data taken from piers over open water as evidence of coastal LA's balmy winter nights lol.
If you don't want to use pier data take GETTY CENTER data, or UCLA data. Yeah that's right low 50s average winter lows. All NOAA data.

Either way Santa Monica (downtown) is warmer than the pier day and night thanks to urban heat effect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 PM

3,521 posts, read 3,278,214 times
Why is this thread still going? Miami over Los Angeles, and it ain't even close.

L.A. homers, you have the superior city/metro. Please give up this losing contest. It just makes you look bad...

Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
My opinion goes to LA. Miami winters are more warmer but LA winters never get cold. It does rain some but overall I'd say LA just because the weather year round is virtually the same.
It's not the same all year.

It varies by 10 F in the coolest beaches to as much as 30 F + in the inland cities from average winter highs to summer highs. Example redondo beach is 78 F in August and 66 F in January, so 12 degree spread. And sun City (a riverside suburb) is 69 F in January, and 100 F in August, that is 31 F spread.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM

16,133 posts, read 26,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
If you don't want to use pier data take GETTY CENTER data, or UCLA data. Yeah that's right low 50s average winter lows. All NOAA data.

Either way Santa Monica (downtown) is warmer than the pier day and night thanks to urban heat effect.
Or I can use LAX, an official weather station that is universally used unlike the Getty or UCLA. But please post a link to the data for UCLA and the Getty, I'd love to see it.

You have claimed DT Santa Monica is warmer than the pier in the past but have NEVER actually provided any official data that supports that claim. I know you want to believe that but you don't actually have anything to support it, if so please show us. Would you like to see data from the official weather station at the Santa Monica Airport that shows average winter lows in the 40's again? lol

Old 12-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Why is this thread still going? Miami over Los Angeles, and it ain't even close.

L.A. homers, you have the superior city/metro. Please give up this losing contest. It just makes you look bad...
Miami has nothing on LA in weather ( or anything really).

LA is known for having some of the best climates in the world. LA has an array of microclimates that Miami lacks, we have coastal, basin, and valley/inland specific microclimates, some warmer than Miami (in the day).

Winter weather on the other hand isn't as lopsided as you would think considering LA has microclimates that aren't too different with winters being low 70s/upper 40s.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Or I can use LAX, an official weather station that is universally used unlike the Getty or UCLA. But please post a link to the data for UCLA and the Getty, I'd love to see it.

You have claimed DT Santa Monica is warmer than the pier in the past but have NEVER actually provided any official data that supports that claim. I know you want to believe that but you don't actually have anything to support it, if so please show us. Would you like to see data from the official weather station at the Santa Monica Airport that shows average winter lows in the 40's again? lol
How about this week while I was in Santa monica. I went to the pier and ran back to the car for my jacket because of the onshore winds and virtually standing above the ocean ( I ate at bubba gump shrimp) from there we walked to 3rd street promenade and I took my jacket off as no chilly winds blew and the sun just glared down on the street warming us.

1981-2010 Normals | Data Tools | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 AM

16,133 posts, read 26,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
How about this week while I was in Santa monica. I went to the pier and ran back to the car for my jacket because of the onshore winds and virtually standing above the ocean ( I ate at bubba gump shrimp) from there we walked to 3rd street promenade and I took my jacket off as no chilly winds blew and the sun just glared down on the street warming us.

1981-2010 Normals | Data Tools | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
Or how about you actually produce some data that supports your assertion about Downtown Santa Monica? I don't really care about your trip to Bubba Gump lol.

So the wind made it feel colder? GET OUT! LOL. Still doesn't mean the temp was actually lower though. Also they don't take the temperature in the sun. God you really know less about weather than I already thought LOL.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,422,377 times
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! Two nights of below freezing in a row. Very unusual for us but it proves that L.A. is not completely frostproof.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-29-2014 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,422,377 times
Quote:
Or how about you actually produce some data that supports your assertion about Downtown Santa Monica? I don't really care about your trip to Bubba Gump lol.

So the wind made it feel colder? GET OUT! LOL. Still doesn't mean the temp was actually lower though. Also they don't take the temperature in the sun. God you really know less about weather than I already thought LOL.
L.A-Mex is the laughingstock of the weather forum. You should see all the stuff he posts there about L.A's "godly heat".

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,278,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Thank you! Don't know why the L.A. posters just can't let this one go! You don't see me bragging about the superior winter weather of Philly or NYC lol. Just be like Frozen and Let it Go. Miami is warmer on average and has warmer water temperatures. Period. L.A. is great. The best winter weather city, it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or