U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 52.63%
Los Angeles 72 47.37%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Reputation: 513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So you found one location on land in all of the Greater LA with an average winter low of 50 or above...Congrats? Maybe it's all the vehicle exhaust from the 405 keeping it so warm lol. Now that you have found that one location lets see how often you use that and try to portray that as the typical low for a large area of Los Angeles despite pretty much every other official weather stations showing lows in the 40's.

10 degrees warmer during the DAY, yeah. But at night, NO.
UCLA, add that to the list please.

Newport sees 50 F too.

night here is warmer too, please don't argue that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
16,131 posts, read 26,936,360 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
UCLA, add that to the list please.

Newport sees 50 F too.

night here is warmer too, please don't argue that.
No problem, I'll add a location 1.5 miles away from the Getty but I'm sure you apply those temps over an area 20-30 miles away lol.

Also Newport Beach has a Dec low of 49 FYI.

Yeah but NOT 10 degrees warmer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,668,768 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You'll get various opinions here, but my vote would go to LA as having a much more attractive overall climate than Miami.

I've been to both cities quite a number of times in various seasons and the higher humidity in Miami would be the biggest negative factor for me. For several reasons (and I can give you many), I much prefer dry air to more humid air. I generally feel much more energetic in dry air than humid air.
It sounds as if you've never been to either city, at least not in winter.

If you love LA's weather in the autumn or springtime, you'd love Miami's winter weather (excluding cold snaps). The days see 70sF while nights range from upper 50sF to lower 60sF--sometimes, even warmer. Since winter is the dry seasons there, it means you get sunshine most of the time and very low humidity.

LA in winter may see some days that are warmer than average, and that is certainly nice. But LA's wet season is in winter, meaning you're getting many rainy days that will only reach a high in the 50sF. Most of the time, LA sees daytime highs in the 60sF in winter, with nighttime lows in the 40sF, or sometimes below.

I'll agree that the coast tends to see nighttime temperatures in the low 50sF, though they also regularly get nights in the upper 40sF as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,668,768 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
im not proving coastal LA is warmer, wtf are you guys reading.

ive said it before, Miamim is warmer in winter look at the fuc*ing averages, its not rocket science, all im arguing about is some points other posters on here keep getting wrong.

like hawaii4ever arguing parts of LA dont see average winter highs in the 70s, i provide NOAA data, and yet somehow him, and all of you think im BS, and think im arguing that LA is warmer than Miami in winter.

DAMN
But as many here have said (myself included), the data you use is often times very outdated, rounded up, or false. We provide other data that actually is representative of the climate of LA and SoCal as a whole. For those of us who have visited a lot of times, or even lived (or still live) there, we provide OUR experiences as well. Yet you discredit what we say despite the fact that you share your "experiences" and "data" and claim them as true. I think that Sav was right--you're just wishing/hoping that LA has a tropical winter, and projecting those hopes and dreams on LA rather than acknowledging the fact that while it has a lovely climate and more pleasant winters than most of the nation, it is still cool in winter and can't be compared to Miami for pleasant winter warmth at all. Even on unusually-warm days in SoCal winters, the nights still dip into the 40sF or lower.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No problem, I'll add a location 1.5 miles away from the Getty but I'm sure you apply those temps over an area 20-30 miles away lol.

Also Newport Beach has a Dec low of 49 FYI.

Yeah but NOT 10 degrees warmer.
winter average low in Newport is 50 , do the math.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,375,665 times
Reputation: 856
As much as I love the dry LA weather over humid Miami weather (no humidity means virtually no insects compared to back east), Miami probably has the more pleasant temperature in the winter out of the 2 cities.

Looks like our New Years is going to be pretty chilly too:

It's Going To Be Close To Freezing On New Year's Eve In Los Angeles: LAist
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But as many here have said (myself included), the data you use is often times very outdated, rounded up, or false. We provide other data that actually is representative of the climate of LA and SoCal as a whole. For those of us who have visited a lot of times, or even lived (or still live) there, we provide OUR experiences as well. Yet you discredit what we say despite the fact that you share your "experiences" and "data" and claim them as true. I think that Sav was right--you're just wishing/hoping that LA has a tropical winter, and projecting those hopes and dreams on LA rather than acknowledging the fact that while it has a lovely climate and more pleasant winters than most of the nation, it is still cool in winter and can't be compared to Miami for pleasant winter warmth at all. Even on unusually-warm days in SoCal winters, the nights still dip into the 40sF or lower.
so all of your experiences are true, but mine are bullsh*t, and wishfull?

NOAA data is the most factual data out there, stop, if somehow that data is outdated im 90% sure those temps are cooler than reality, not warmer, LA is warming up not cooling (the rest of the US is too).

I think you just cant stand the fact that LA has climates with 70 F+ highs and San Diego doesnt, may i remind you that you argue that through your experiences, oceanside, the coldest socal beach, in reality averages low 80s, but you argue that East LA and surroundings are in fact 60s instead of 71 F in winter, how could a coastal climate (our coldest) warm up by 10 degrees, just because you say so, and east LA drop by 5 F just because you say its out dated, if oceanside is warmer than reality, then East LA and surroundings are too, simple as that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
As much as I love the dry LA weather over humid Miami weather (no humidity means virtually no insects compared to back east), Miami probably has the more pleasant temperature in the winter out of the 2 cities.

Looks like our New Years is going to be pretty chilly too:

It's Going To Be Close To Freezing On New Year's Eve In Los Angeles: LAist
I agree Miami is better in winter, but not by much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,668,768 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
so all of your experiences are true, but mine are bullsh*t, and wishfull?

NOAA data is the most factual data out there, stop, if somehow that data is outdated im 90% sure those temps are cooler than reality, not warmer, LA is warming up not cooling (the rest of the US is too).

I think you just cant stand the fact that LA has climates with 70 F+ highs and San Diego doesnt, may i remind you that you argue that through your experiences, oceanside, the coldest socal beach, in reality averages low 80s, but you argue that East LA and surroundings are in fact 60s instead of 71 F in winter, how could a coastal climate (our coldest) warm up by 10 degrees, just because you say so, and east LA drop by 5 F just because you say its out dated, if oceanside is warmer than reality, then East LA and surroundings are too, simple as that.
I'm not jealous of anything, because SD and LA both have winter highs in the 60sF. And NOAA being the most factual data is an opinion.

As for your first line, that was my point exactly. You've been saying that my opinion, and those of other users here, don't matter, but somehow yours counts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 2,027,519 times
Reputation: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not jealous of anything, because SD and LA both have winter highs in the 60sF. And NOAA being the most factual data is an opinion.

As for your first line, that was my point exactly. You've been saying that my opinion, and those of other users here, don't matter, but somehow yours counts.
I havent said anything about your opinions other than that they are illogical, if you are going to boost oceansides temps then why not LA's instead of dropping them.

and NOAA is arguably the most factual, what is then. TWC is factual too and agrees with my claims and NOAA.

as for your 2nd line, you just repeated my line and switched it up, its true though, my santa monica pier experience i shared was taken as a joke, while every experiences you guys share are somehow word of the Lord.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top