U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has nicer winter weather: Miami or LA
Miami 80 52.63%
Los Angeles 72 47.37%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,666,432 times

Advertisements

If anyone repeated/switched lines, it was you. I said in my original post that you discredit everyone's opinions but use your own as fact.

I based LA and Oceanside on my personal experiences: summer highs in Oceanside are in the low 80sF or upper 70sF most of the time. LA winter highs average in the 60sF. It's common sense from my experience, the experience of other users on here, and from the vast majority of factual data, excluding the crap that you post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,027,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
If anyone repeated/switched lines, it was you. I said in my original post that you discredit everyone's opinions but use your own as fact.

I based LA and Oceanside on my personal experiences: summer highs in Oceanside are in the low 80sF or upper 70sF most of the time. LA winter highs average in the 60sF. It's common sense from my experience, the experience of other users on here, and from the vast majority of factual data, excluding the crap that you post.
how is this possible. your experiences must be very special then. 10 F warmer in oceanside, and colder winter in LA??? how so?

I agree coastal socal averages low 80s upper 70s in reality, but its also a fact that parts of LA average 70 F +, no arguing this, it is my experiences, is it not? or are my experiences BS, but yours backed by God?

so NOAA is crap now? it makes me wonder, why the fu*k does 100 % of american cities have NOAA show their averages and climate instead of "Hawaii4ever experiences", or Hawaii4ever explains your climate to you" weather boxes???

Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 PM

16,127 posts, read 26,930,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
winter average low in Newport is 50 , do the math.
And the average low in December is 49, look it up.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM

12,499 posts, read 20,084,066 times
Quote:
LA nights are regularly in the 40sF and sometimes lower. Only during a spell of unusually warmer weather would nights in LA be in the 50sF or maybe even above.

Miami winter lows are typically in the upper 50sF and 60sF.
Inland evening temps in Miami are cooler than the coastal areas. Right now it's 75 degrees at 10:23 PM on Miami Beach and the overnight lows forecasted for the next several days are 70, 70, 72, 73, 73, 72, 72, 68 and 66. Daytime highs vary ever so slightly from 79-82 over the same time period.
I'll also add the the coastal areas are more densely populated so more people have the warmer evening experience than the cooler ones inland.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,027,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And the average low in December is 49, look it up.
there are 2 more months in winter, not just december, look it up though if you dont believe me.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 PM

16,127 posts, read 26,930,177 times
Quote:
there are 2 more months in winter, not just december, look it up though if you dont believe me.
That's nice but December averages 49, so clearly a lot more than 10% of winter have lows in the 40's. Either way the vast majority of coastal LA has lows in the upper 40's in winter.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,666,432 times
Quote:
how is this possible. your experiences must be very special then. 10 F warmer in oceanside, and colder winter in LA??? how so?

I agree coastal socal averages low 80s upper 70s in reality, but its also a fact that parts of LA average 70 F +, no arguing this, it is my experiences, is it not? or are my experiences BS, but yours backed by God?

so NOAA is crap now? it makes me wonder, why the fu*k does 100 % of american cities have NOAA show their averages and climate instead of "Hawaii4ever experiences", or Hawaii4ever explains your climate to you" weather boxes???
I never said Oceanside was warmer than LA in winter--I said that Oceanside in summer is low 80sF or upper 70sF. I also said LA in winter is 60sF daytime high, with nighttime lows in the 40sF. Stop twisting my words to make me look wrong. You're the only one here posting incorrect data.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,468,712 times
Quote:
It sounds as if you've never been to either city, at least not in winter.

If you love LA's weather in the autumn or springtime, you'd love Miami's winter weather (excluding cold snaps). The days see 70sF while nights range from upper 50sF to lower 60sF--sometimes, even warmer. Since winter is the dry seasons there, it means you get sunshine most of the time and very low humidity.

LA in winter may see some days that are warmer than average, and that is certainly nice. But LA's wet season is in winter, meaning you're getting many rainy days that will only reach a high in the 50sF. Most of the time, LA sees daytime highs in the 60sF in winter, with nighttime lows in the 40sF, or sometimes below.

I'll agree that the coast tends to see nighttime temperatures in the low 50sF, though they also regularly get nights in the upper 40sF as well.

I believe I stated "overall, I'd prefer the climate of LA over Miami". That certainly doesn't mean every single day or even every single month is preferable to Miami.....but "overall" I'd prefer LA's climate over Miami's.

It's my opinion, and I have been to both places quite a number of times in various seasons, although I have been to LA more than Miami.....I'll admit that. The humidity in Miami just isn't to my liking and has typically been the largest negative when I've been there. Otherwise, Miami is just fine, I actually enjoy the place and will continue to go there from time to time.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 PM

14,218 posts, read 23,788,782 times
Quote:
im not proving coastal LA is warmer, wtf are you guys reading.

ive said it before, Miamim is warmer in winter look at the fuc*ing averages, its not rocket science, all im arguing about is some points other posters on here keep getting wrong.

like hawaii4ever arguing parts of LA dont see average winter highs in the 70s, i provide NOAA data, and yet somehow him, and all of you think im BS, and think im arguing that LA is warmer than Miami in winter.

DAMN
My bad.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,029,002 times
Miami has a TROPICAL MONSOON CLIMATE according to Koppen

Main article: Climate of Miami

Typical summer afternoon thunderstorm rolling in from the Everglades.
Miami has a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification Am)[34] with hot and humid summers and short, warm winters, with a marked drier season in the winter. Its sea-level elevation, coastal location, position just above the Tropic of Cancer, and proximity to the Gulf Stream shapes its climate. With January averaging 67.2 °F (19.6 °C), winter features mild to warm temperatures; cool air usually settles after the passage of a cold front, which produces much of the little amount of rainfall. Lows sometimes fall below 50 °F (10 °C), but very rarely below 35 °F (2 °C). Highs generally range between 70–77 °F (21–25 °C).
The wet season begins some time in May, ending in mid-October. During this period, temperatures are in the mid 80s to low 90s (29–35 °C), accompanied by high humidity, though the heat is often relieved by afternoon thunderstorms or a sea breeze that develops off the Atlantic Ocean, which then allow lower temperatures, but conditions still remain very muggy. Much of the year's 55.9 inches (1,420 mm) of rainfall occurs during this period. Dewpoints in the warm months range from 71.9 °F (22.2 °C) in June to 73.7 °F (23.2 °C) in August.[35]
Extremes range from 27 °F (−2.8 °C) on February 3, 1917 to 100 °F (38 °C) on July 21, 1940.[36] Miami has never recorded any snowfall although there were disputed claims of snow flurries on January 19, 1977.[37]
Hurricane season officially runs from June 1 through November 30, although hurricanes can develop beyond those dates. The most likely time for Miami to be hit is during the peak of the Cape Verde season, which is mid-August through the end of September.[38] Although tornadoes are uncommon in the Miami area, a tornado struck the city in 1925 and again in 1997.
Miami falls under the USDA 10b Plant Hardiness zone.[39]

[show]Climate data for Miami (MIA), 1981−2010 normals, extremes 1895−present[a]
Demographics
Historical population
Year Pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or