Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to live?
Chicago 95 48.22%
Houston 36 18.27%
Atlanta 66 33.50%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 25,042 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me honest feedback about these cities? I'm a young African American male currently living in Texas, and I am a year away from graduating. I currently have the option of realistically living in any of the following cities mentioned above, but I simply can't decide where to live.

Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc.
Diversity / Diverse Neighborhoods
Walk-ability
Nightlife / 24 Hours Places / Dating
Crime
Coffee Shops
Events and Concerts
Shopping
Quality Of Life / Cost Of Living

Last edited by yosoysinistar; 12-13-2014 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc. - Chicago
Diversity - Houston
Walk-ability - Chicago
Nightlife / Dating - No idea
Crime - Depends on the neighborhood in any of these cities
Events and Concerts - Probably Chicago
Shopping - Chicago
Quality Of Life / Cost Of Living - Again, it depends on the neighborhood

I'm guessing Chicago is going to be your best bet. I just hope you don't mind cold winters.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoysinistar View Post
Can anyone give me honest feedback about these cities? I'm a young African American male currently living in Texas, and I am a year away from graduating. I currently have the option of realistically living in any of the following cities mentioned above, but I simply can't decide where to live.

Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc.
Diversity / Diverse Neighborhoods
Walk-ability
Nightlife / 24 Hours Places / Dating
Crime
Coffee Shops
Events and Concerts
Shopping
Quality Of Life / Cost Of Living
I'll put it like this: there are currently more black Chicagoans and Atlantans moving to Texas than there are black Texans moving to Chicago or Atlanta. I would keep that in consideration, bro.

Going into 2015, Houston is going to be the smartest choice, in my opinion. Where in TX are you currently living?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 AM

99 posts, read 176,404 times
Houston or Atl. Chicago is a great city, but you dont see many southerners headed up north anymore lol. All are great African American cities to live in, rich in culture, but Houston fit my taste more. The Texas region is growing faster than the other two regions.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc. - - Chicago

Diversity / Diverse Neighborhoods - - Houston for diversity but Chicago for Diverse neighborhoods

Walk-ability - - Chicago

Nightlife / 24 Hours Places / Dating - - Chicago but it isn't a runaway from the other two IMO and it's also what you're into.

Crime - - depends on where you're at.

Coffee Shops - - Have no idea

Events and Concerts - - Chicago but Atlanta has tons of events specifically for Black Americans.

Shopping - - Chicago but the other two aren't bad either. But Chicago will have better street front shopping while the other two are mostly malls. They are getting better though on the street.

Quality Of Life / Cost Of Living - - All three are relatively cheap compared to it's coastal peers. Chicago may be the third largest city but the metro as a whole is not expensive. Parts of all three inner cities are expensive though.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
* Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc. - Chicago

* Diversity / Diverse Neighborhoods - Chicago. Houston and Atlanta are not bad for Diversity either at all and more diverse than people think, but the same goes for Chicago. Unfortunately for Chicago, people tend to judge it from just a few neighborhoods where less than 10% of the population lives and those areas aren't super diverse

These are as of the 2010 Census:

Chicago
* Black: 32.93%
* Hispanic: 28.89%
* Non-Hispanic White (includes Middle Eastern): 16.09%
* One Race, other: 13.37%
* Asian: 5.46%
* Two or More Races: 2.71%
* Native American: 0.53%

Houston
* Hispanic: 43.81%
* Black: 23.74%
* One Race, Other: 15.69%
* White: 6.7%
* Asian: 6.02%
* Two or more races: 3.26%
* Native American: 0.77%

Atlanta
* Black: 54.02%
* White: 33.17%
* Hispanic: 5.19%
* Asian: 3.14%
* One Race, Other: 2.22%
* Two or more races: 1.99%
* Native American: 0.27%

If you add up these into five major groups and take the average percentage away from 20% (100/5) then you get the following (the lower number, the better if you want to be around many different types of people):
* Chicago = 8.732,
* Houston = 11.022
* Atlanta = 18.876

* Walk-ability - Chicago. not even a contest.

* Nightlife / 24 Hours Places / Dating - Depends on what kind of nightlife you want. I'd say that Chicago's nightlife is pretty diverse and from what I've experienced, Houston and Atlanta's are not nearly as diverse. I think a place like Atlanta has better hip-hop/rap oriented nightlife, but that's not hard to find in Chicago either, and I'd say you're going to find some in Houston as well of course.

You'll find more late night places in Chicago too (bars/clubs have the option of staying open until 4am every night and 5am on Saturdays. Normal closing time for them is 3am on Saturdays if they don't take that option. ---> Chicago 4 a.m. Bar Guide: Full List, Map of Chicago's Late-Night Spots - Chicago - DNAinfo.com Chicago)

* Crime - Completely depends on where you are in the cities. There are dangerous and very safe parts of each of those cities. The north and northwest side of Chicago has a population of over 1 million and a large majority of it has a homicide rate that's not too much different than Austin, TX. However, parts of the south and west sides are full of crime. If you're making a decent-ish salary, there's no reason to live in those crime areas and 98% of them aren't really right next to low crime areas.

* Coffee Shops - Chicago

* Events and Concerts - Chicago. Atlanta and Houston not bad for this either.

* Shopping - Chicago. Atlanta's not bad either, but Magnificent Mile in Chicago is probably the second largest street shopping area in the country behind areas in NYC.

* Quality Of Life / Cost Of Living - Houston is probably the cheapest, but IMO with what you want - walkability, nightlife, 24 hour spots, museums, etc - clear winner is Chicago. Compared to the likes of Boston, DC, SF, and NYC, Chicago is quite a great deal for COL even if it's the 3rd largest city.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-14-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
I don't know why people are afraid to admit that they simply aren't very familiar with any given city. Just tell the OP what you know, folks. That's how you will be the most helpful.

In return, yoso, it would help us to know which of these amenities are the most important to you. What do you really want from the city you're looking to move to? For example, is walkability more important than diversity?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
* Zoo's / Museums / Libraries / etc. - Chicago

* Diversity / Diverse Neighborhoods - Chicago. Houston and Atlanta are not bad for Diversity either at all and more diverse than people think, but the same goes for Chicago. Unfortunately for Chicago, people tend to judge it from just a few neighborhoods where less than 10% of the population lives and those areas aren't super diverse

These are as of the 2010 Census:

Chicago
* Black: 32.93%
* Hispanic: 28.89%
* Non-Hispanic White (includes Middle Eastern): 16.09%
* One Race, other: 13.37%
* Asian: 5.46%
* Two or More Races: 2.71%
* Native American: 0.53%k
I was just a bit confused on what % of Chicago is White⤴ ? From these numbers.....
So I got this from the census⤵

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

A excerpt from⤴. 2010

White alone, percent, .............................. 45.0%
Black or African American alone, ............... 32.9%
American Indian, Alaska Native alone, ......... 0.5%
Asian alone, percent, ................................. 5.5%
Two or More Races, percent, ...................... 2.7%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, ...................... 28.9%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, ........... 31.7%

Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I was just a bit confused on what % of Chicago is White⤴ ? From these numbers.....
So I got this from the census⤵

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

A excerpt from⤴. 2010

White alone, percent, .............................. 45.0%
Black or African American alone, ............... 32.9%
American Indian, Alaska Native alone, ......... 0.5%
Asian alone, percent, ................................. 5.5%
Two or More Races, percent, ...................... 2.7%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, ...................... 28.9%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, ........... 31.7%
Actually yeah, I don't think all Latino/hispanic are counted as white, but yeah.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 25,042 times
I think a big thing that's really deterring me from wanting to live in Chicago is the crime. I understand that every city is going to have certain areas that should be avoided, but it seems that almost every single time I read something about Chicago it's always negative. I know that it's probably wrong for the media to influence my decision, but the details absolutely scare the hell out of me. The more I hear about people getting shot or robbed it makes me want to reconsider. It seems like it's not just confined to certain areas, but all throughout the entire city. Can anyone help educate me on the crime in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City